Talk

Advanced search

Babysuit / Babygro for newborns - suggestions please

(81 Posts)
hub2dee Fri 29-Apr-05 07:24:54

Hi, can I ask which babygros we should go for ? Any particularly brilliant finds you want to share ?

Many seem to go over the head and I've noticed on here that people have advised that instead we should go for something which poppers down, or ties to the side etc. etc.

Comments / links appreciated.

TIA (am out most of day today).

Chuffed Fri 29-Apr-05 08:43:12

hub2dee we just bought one of those 7 packs from mothercare, white, go over the head, short sleeved size 1mth.
They lasted till she was 3 months. We didn't know whether we were going to have a girl or boy so figured we could easily use white. Put jumpers over the top when it was cold. We got other stuff as presents so this was really all we had to buy to be honest, would recommend getting a nightie for your little one to sleep in as it is so nice and easy to change nappy when they are small with a nightie on instead of a sleepsuit.

csa Fri 29-Apr-05 09:12:22

agree with chuffed. 7 pack from mothercare, m&s, etc is the best. it's easy to dress them up too cos you just need to pop rather than tie. hth

hub2dee Sat 30-Apr-05 18:24:29

Thanks for the various input. TBH, I think I was mightily confused about what babies wear and how you dress them. I didn't realise that a bodysuit is basically the equivalent of underwear... in the last day or two we've been in to John Lewis, M&S, and to Petit Bateau in the Hell that is Bicester Shopping Village. I've know understood baby gros (outside layer for day to day wearing) and bodysuits (bit wot goes underneath), and have also seen a 'baby bundler' which I think is like a sleep suit at night (maybe not so thick and without separate leg holes) but which has some kind of drawstring at the bottom for easy access to nappy...

Wish they (babies) came with an instruction manual. Maybe I should read that book for blokes designed like a Haynes Manual... don't know if it's any good... it always looked so ridiculous till now !

lockets Sat 30-Apr-05 18:26:29

Message withdrawn

chonky Sat 30-Apr-05 18:28:54

Hub2dee, we buy all our vests/sleepsuits from Tescos. When dd was born I was adamant that they had to come from JL, don't know why really, but we're now converts to Tescos vests/suits as they're faaar cheaper and have actually washed better than the JL ones.

DD lived in vests and gros for the first couple of months, we only started to dress her properly after that as it seemed so much easier.

misdee Sat 30-Apr-05 18:31:53

i use little nightdresses (a bundler) for dd3. makes nappy changes some much easier. i have a heap of them here, dh says i have too many but when i have weeks like this one and dd3 pukes several times and i'm being lazy over laundry then i know i dont have too many

pixiefish Sat 30-Apr-05 18:36:52

I used Tesco, Mothercare and Marks and Spencer.

You'll find that Tescos are the smallest then when you've outgrown those move to Mothercare and then marks before you go to the next size in Tesco IYSWIM. I rotated them. I also only had about 6 in each size (even the newborn ones as they dry so quickly and I used to hand wash them every day

oooggs Sat 30-Apr-05 18:38:35

I agree, Tesco sleepsuits, gros & vest are great. Wash well, tumble or line dry well and are cheap and very soft.

misdee Sat 30-Apr-05 18:40:27

tescos bodysuits are good buys. again have far too many, remember to get the next size up if using cloth nappies though. used 0-3 bodysuits straight away with dd3, tho if it disposables they are a bit too big.

blossom2 Sat 30-Apr-05 18:59:55

Hub2dee - buy the bodysuits (all in one things that cover feet as well) which have an extra peice of fabric at the sleeve. These fold over to make smittens so the baby doesn't scratch his/her eyes out!!! Great for the early days.

And when you find them - let me know where you got them from!!! i'm desparate to get some

The best advice i got about babies clothes was to dress them as you would dress yourself. If you are hot, baby is likely to be hot as well ....

hope that helps

blossom2 Sat 30-Apr-05 19:02:14

Oh also, don't bother with Petit batteau stuff (unless you get them as presents) as they are much much smaller in size than UK sizes. And since most things will be washed at 60 or 90 degrees they are going to shrink.

Although, some babygros are handy in that they clip at the side, but so expensive (even in france). Greenbaby do side fastenings also.

hub2dee Sat 30-Apr-05 19:42:55

it's coming thick and fast now !

Will check out Tescos in the next few days.

Hi misdee, hope to be in cloth but dw is asking why ? (why the extra hassle, why all the faff with layers / liners / wraps etc.)... I can see I'm going to talk myself into nappy duty overtime. . We spoke to a few random mums today and they said get 3 month, not newborn.

blossom2: nirvana is in John Lewis, Oxford St.... you in London ? They had those sleep suit / baby gros with the attached mitten thing.

I patently spoiled dw's blitz in Petit Bateau by helpfully pointing out that all these beautiful little outfits (at least in the smallest 0 - 3 month sizes) were likely to be more or less a waste of time as baby will be busy mucking / being changed... don't worry, she did manage to find a few things to buy there. I'm sure we'll get pressies / hand me downs of newborn outfits anyway, it's just they tend to look so uncomfortable and fidly... and I like freshly harvested babies in plain white for immaculate shnuggling.

tiffini Sat 30-Apr-05 20:20:29

i would defo go for the ones with poppers down the front, the ones that pull over the head are far too fiddley with a newborn.

misdee Sat 30-Apr-05 20:25:19

discard any that do up at the back, what a pain that is!!

nailpolish Sat 30-Apr-05 20:26:30

boots essentials range is very good, soft, washes well, etc etc and at a brilliant price. would totally recommend the really soft and cosy terry bodysuits for wee ones

its usually a wee stand in bigger boots stores

Nik72 Sat 30-Apr-05 20:34:58

Dd was out of newboen stuff very fast (& she was less than 7lb so not huge). Have 2 sleep suits that go over the head rather than poppers up the front & that was a mistake and also bough a pack of vests which just ride up her back so wouldn't recommend that either.
Have bought some lovely brushed cotton ones called "cut4cloth" which have an ample derrier bit to accomodate real nappies, also bought some of their trousers too as regular baby clothes are now designed for less bulky disposables. They're organic cotton too so feel very virtuous!!
Enjoy the shopping, it's such fun buying little outfits. We got dozens as gifts and have pink outfits coming out of our ears!!

hub2dee Sat 30-Apr-05 21:00:32

Just for clairfying confused man-minds, when tiffini says go for ones with poppers down the front, not over the head... I haven't actually seen any bodysuits (ie. the underwear bit) with front poppers (except a couple of poppers at the crotch)... they've all been over the head. In a similar vein, I've only seen 'baby gros' with front poppers....

I'm not being v. dumb here am I ?

Thanks, nailpolish, will also find a big Boots.

I noticed a couple of 'cut for cloth' e-tailers... will check out your suggestion Nik72. Will I need more generous / different body suits too or will she just fill them up with her cute big bum a bit earlier, size wise, IYSWIM ?

Yes... looks like a very pink girl our end too. !

<<sigh>>

gingernut Sat 30-Apr-05 21:45:21

hub2dee, if you're being thick then so am I (not unheard-of in the latter case though!).

Typically, bodysuits (otherwise known as vests) go over the head and they have an envelope neckline which is pretty easy to get on and off IME.

Sleepsuits (otherwise known as babygros) usually have poppers all the way down the front. They do sometimes have poppers down the back. I agree with whoever said to avoid the ones with poppers at the back.

Rompers (a bit like sleepsuits but usually without feet, and they can have short sleeves and/or legs as well) often go over the head, either with envelope neck or poppers/buttons part of the way down. They are a bit fiddlier than sleepsuits. The short sleeved ones can be v. useful for summer though (I guess you baby is due this summer?) as they are lightweight and look a bit nicer than just a vest for hot days.

misdee Sat 30-Apr-05 21:47:15

body suits dont have poppers down the fron, usually at nappy area or a side fastening if thats what u decide on.

but do avoid the sleepsuits that go over the head or do up at the back

Socci Sat 30-Apr-05 21:54:36

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Sat 30-Apr-05 21:58:03

french clothes are designed for incredibly skinny babies mutual friend bought DD 2 babygros aged for a year when she was 5 months, they have never fit her width-ways

I would also suggest the 7 packs from Mothercare or Adams, plus special clothes from wherever you want

I personally avoided any clothes at all that have poppers or buttons down the back because the baby will be lying down all the time until about 6 months or so and they'll get uncomfortable. I also used to check the insides of the really cute ones with embroidered patches, some of them seemed surprisingly rough to me

I think you will need the vests that button underneath (envelope style necks) and the sleepsuits with poppers all the way down cos bean will be a sept baby and I'd also say buy the 0 to 3 months not newborn after about 3 months or so you'll have the energy for real clothes

starlover Sat 30-Apr-05 22:00:03

I must be the only person who got good use out of newborn clothes!
DS was 9lb 1oz and stayed in his newborn size for ages!
When we finally moved up to 0-3m he grew out of them in a few weeks (major growth spurt!)

hub2dee Sat 30-Apr-05 22:01:17

Nothing so sweet as the pursuit of knowledge....

gingernut: You're gonna get us in trouble... you say, and I quote: "Typically, bodysuits (otherwise known as vests) go over the head and they have an envelope neckline"

I think you are gravely wrong. vests are little tops, like old men's string vests, but nicer, and smaller for babies. Bodysuits are not otherwise known as vests, they are otherwise known as bodysuits. . Bodysuits look like an all in one swim suit for laydees... with a couple of extra poppers. they cover from the neck to the crotch, and DO NOT STOP HALF WAY.

I think it is important to have the utmost clarity in this vital area.

Do flame if I've lost the plot.

Socci Sat 30-Apr-05 22:01:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: