Talk

Advanced search

Dell pc's - any good?

(11 Posts)
swiperfox Thu 28-Apr-05 13:54:56

I need a new computer and dell have got a 'pay next year' offer on just now. I've got a funny feeling that I've heard that Dell are not too good.... anyone got Dell?

Toothache Thu 28-Apr-05 13:58:14

Our whole company use Dell, in fact I'm typing on a Dell laptop at the moment.

The products seem fine, but they are such a pain in the arse to deal with!!!

I have noticed some great deals though and I'd definitely buy one. HTH.

milge Thu 28-Apr-05 14:01:30

We got one 12months ago, and it has been problem free, and is still working. Dell ring up all the time trying to sell us extended warranties, that is my only complaint. IIRC, it was quite cheap too - about £500

Sponge Thu 28-Apr-05 14:01:45

Products are great and you can configure it yourself so you only pay for features you actually want.
I've never had any problems with mine so don't really knwo about their customer service but the order to delivery process was really simple, quick and efficient.

Demented Thu 28-Apr-05 14:04:11

My DH has just bought his third Dell computer, one is a laptop and the other two are ordinary machines. I agree with Toothache that they are a bit of a pain to deal with (call centre in Bangladesh or somewhere) but the machines themselves are great and a great price.

JanH Thu 28-Apr-05 14:07:52

We have a Dell and have been v pleased with it - coming up for 2 years old now. Avoid getting a printer in the self-configuration if you can, they are called Dell but are Lexmark really, not partic good and cartridges v expensive.

The screen suddenly stopped working after about a year, fortunately we had another to connect and check that it was the screen; they sent us a replacement. (Worth paying extra for the 3-year-on-site warranty IME & O)

KBear Thu 28-Apr-05 14:09:42

My parents just bought one and it's great - good price. they are very pleased with it.

Enid Thu 28-Apr-05 14:11:52

total pain in the arse - I bought one from there for work and never again - the free printer is worse than useless too.

I have just bought a set of new pcs for the office from PC World - surprisingly their business division was very helpful (I say surprisingly as their stores are always hopeless) and I would recommend.

At home we buy pcs from Evesham - good quality machines with a very good warranty but after sales service, although free, is poor.

Tinker Thu 28-Apr-05 16:10:17

We've got a Dell one, flat screen and funky on black - no problems. Only complaint is keyboard is a bit flimsy but you can upgrade that

JanH Thu 28-Apr-05 16:14:47

We have the upgraded keyboard and cordless mouse (both Logitech) - they weren't a huge amount extra, and they sent the flimsy one as well!

(Black not good for domestic slatterns though, I must point out. Dust really starts to show after a month or so.)

Demented Thu 28-Apr-05 22:43:00

Tinker, my DH is not fussed on his new keyboard, the one that came with his last Dell PC (bought about three years ago) is much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now