Talk

Advanced search

Food Processors - recommendations please!

(5 Posts)
pacinofan Wed 27-Apr-05 12:53:25

Hi, I want to buy a food processor and would appreciate any recommendations/advice before I buy. Have seen one on offer at Boots online, the Kenwood multi FP486, which looks ok.

We don't have a large kitchen or much workspace free, so one that isn't bulky is important. Also need one that's idiot-proof so I don't have to wade through a manual every time I need to use it. Oh, and don't want to spend a fortune either! Don't do loads of 'fancy' cooking but so many recipes call for one I thought it's about time we invested.

TIA,

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Apr-05 13:49:22

What sort of thing do you need to do? I have a food processor, but barely ever use it - I mostly just use my hand blender, which has a small food processor thingy.

I only use my food processor to make carrot cake, as grating that many carrots drives me bonkers.

pacinofan Wed 27-Apr-05 14:02:25

Hi there, things like making cakes, dough for pizza, and whizzing stuff together to form a paste i.e for a curry.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Apr-05 18:05:16

I don't know about pizza dough, you do need a proper mixer for that, I think, but for cakes and pastes and stuff, a hand-held blender will totally do the job. They take less room, and are cheaper (I think?) than a regular food processor.

I have a Braun. It's one with a metal shaft, which is a bonus, as you can put it right in a hot (not boiling) soup, and blend it right there. Nearly all of it goes in the dishwasher. I've had it for more than 3 years, used it at least a few times a week, and it's holding up reasonably well.

My experience of a food processor hasn't been great. We have a big Kenwood one, and it's fine, but there are just so many bits to put together and take apart and wash and so on. And it takes up a lot of room, about the same as a toaster oven.

Kelly1978 Wed 27-Apr-05 18:14:21

pacinofan - that's my food processor!! I bought it about 6 months ago, and have just been using it to knock up a load of baking. I don't have a lot of space neither, and I found the compact design really handy.
I've used it for bakign and cooking and it's been excellent all round so far. It's a little stiff at first to put together, but then it's simple enough and pretty powerful. The only thing I haven't tried out is the liquidiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now