Talk

Advanced search

Help!!! Which cots are best????

(12 Posts)
Enthusia Sun 24-Apr-05 08:48:39

Am looking for first cot for first child. Really want one that I feel I will get good use out of!!! Is it best to get a cot that goes in your bedroom for the first 6 months than you transfer to the nursery, or is a moses basket better. Are the cots that turn into beds good? And what about the Stokke that turns into a larger cot and then 2 chairs when the baby is grown up. AAAGGGHHHH too many options!!!!!!

Twiglett Sun 24-Apr-05 08:53:47

Depends how much space you have in your room I suppose but for me my choice was

a moses basket for first few months: you can carry baby with you from room to room, so you can sit up and watch tv (till oh around 9.30 ) then just pick up basket and go to bed

a cot in the baby's room to be: when you decide to move her into that room, its all ready for you. I bought one with a drop side but tbh have never used it (I am 5' 8 though) - I think spend the money on a good mattress is more important than the cot

a travel cot for trips and stuff

I moved DS straight to a full sized adult single bed when he was 2 - I truly do not understand the concept of child-sized beds unless you have a space issue (think they are a waste of money, although admittedly they look cute)

HTH

laneydaye Sun 24-Apr-05 08:53:53

ds and dd went in crib 1st at the side of our bed, then bottom of the bed the "cotbed" was in the bedroom already and just put them in it for naps during the day so they could get used to it then at 6mths in they went.... ours is a mamas and papas cot bed and was given to us by my brother we just got a good mattress...

ds was in it till last year and now has bunk beds.... hes 4

dd has just gone in it.......

LIZS Sun 24-Apr-05 08:55:15

Are you planning to keep the baby in your room for the first 6 months ? If so a moses basket will only last for the early part of that period then you will need a cot that fits in your room, so a cot bed may prove to be too big. If you plan to have another child at some point then you may need it as a cot again before you get much use from it as a bed. If you plan to breastfeed a bedside cot where you can fold a side away and have it level with your mattress may make night feeds less hassle. Lots of choices !!

Twiglett Sun 24-Apr-05 08:55:25

also if you chose a cot-bed and plan on having other children then you would have to buy another one (which to me is a huge waste of money)

LGJ Sun 24-Apr-05 09:48:04

Enthusia

We have the Stokke one and it is brilliant.

Enthusia Sun 24-Apr-05 10:04:10

I read somewhere that it is safer to keep baby in your room until 6 months due to cot death etc.. is this what most parents do?

It is good to hear something good about the Stokke one as I have heard some people say it is a waste of money, but I quite like the design. Why do you think it is so good?

Nemo1977 Sun 24-Apr-05 10:07:03

Hi we got a cotbed for ds and had a swinging crib in our room from birth. The cot bed was great simply because by 11mths ds was trying to vault over the top of it so we turned it into a toddler bed. He is 18mths now and is in a mothercare extendable bed which goes to single bed size.

Nemo1977 Sun 24-Apr-05 10:08:08

meant to say ds moved into nursery at 3mths...but it was room next door and i had monitor and could hear everything..still can...lol
He will be moving out the room and i will probably have same set up for no.2

LGJ Sun 24-Apr-05 10:08:21

Can't really articulate it, but just felt that shape was quite soft, if that makes sense, I would love to sleep surrounded by curves rather than straigh lines. Lord God that makes me sound like a hippy.

flamesparrow Sun 24-Apr-05 10:35:53

DD hated a moses basket, and slept better when we put her in a normal cot in her own room (at 6 weeks)... we had one of the alarm things under the mattress to ease cot death worries. I don't agree with all these people who say that it makes parents less vigilant - I still checked on her the same amount, but could sleep easily too.

Anyway, not the point.

I'm with the others who say about other children... if you are planning on others then a cotbed probably isn't worthwhile, unless you plan on a gap big enough to get the first one out of the cotbed.

Hulababy Sun 24-Apr-05 10:43:06

DD hated a little crib, so I am very glad that we only borrowed one. Apparantly it is not uncommon for babies to dislike these and moses baskets???

We had a bedside cot, as we knew we'd do sok co-sleeping. It worked well and was a good compromise for us.

We had a travel cot and used it about 3 times - was a waste of money for us. DD just slept with us if we went away over night.

We got DD a toddler bed at 18 months, and she is now in a single bed at just turned 3.

I love the look of the Stokke cot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now