Talk

Advanced search

buggy/pushchair to take abroad, which one should i buy??

(26 Posts)
alibo Sat 23-Apr-05 09:41:41

ds is 1 yr old, and we want to buy a compact buggy or pushchair for taking abroad, but there are so many out there!! we use a graco metrosport at the moment with air tyres, good for a smooth ride, but too bulky to take abroad. any advice welcome.

vickiyumyum Sat 23-Apr-05 09:54:18

i highly recommenr a mamas and papas pulse. v. similar to maclaren techno but about half the price.
folds compact, light, has a hood and raincover, adequatley padded, shopping basket and is only £80 - £90.

anchovies Sat 23-Apr-05 10:02:05

We bought a maclaren quest, about £70 from kiddicare, came with hood and raincover. There is also a nice stripey one on there for £35 with a parasol. The triumph is also good, about £55. Friend has a britax vista which is also fine for a lightweight one.

moondog Sat 23-Apr-05 10:05:20

Don't they say that the Volo is the lightest you can buy? (Maclaren?)

iota Sat 23-Apr-05 10:06:30

don't spend a fortune - they can get knocked about in transit - we bought a Quest - £50 on special offer in Tescos

misdee Sat 23-Apr-05 10:08:20

vola is the lightest, but comes with no hood or raincover. triuphm is a bit more, but comes with hood and raincver, and the seat can be removed very easily for washing. reclines slightly for sleeping.

alibo Sat 23-Apr-05 10:09:05

have looked at maclaren ones; anyone got a techno xt??

moondog Sat 23-Apr-05 10:11:35

Knew you wouldn't be able to resist a pushchair conversation misdee!

alibo Sat 23-Apr-05 10:14:30

whats the difference between a maclaren quest and techno ???

misdee Sat 23-Apr-05 10:14:53

am a recovering buggy addict. i was gonna sell my triumph teh other week but dh told me to keep hold of it as i'd just replace it in a year when dd3 is bigger.

moondog Sat 23-Apr-05 10:15:56

Keep strong misdee. You can beat it.

misdee Sat 23-Apr-05 10:19:14

lol. dh just doesnt want to speand anymore on buggies.

the e3 gets used daily tho.

blueteddy Sat 23-Apr-05 10:25:32

I have the Maclaren Triumph & have been very happy with it.
I have used it since ds2 was around 5 months old.
It is very lightweight, steers really easily & comes with a hood & rain cover.
It was great for our holiday in Florida last year.
I think it is the second lightest Maclaren other than the volvo (am I correct?) & ds is still very comfortable in it at 2 years old.
I have just lent it to friends who were taking their 11 month old dd to Menorca & they said it proved to be a God send!
I really missed it though!!!
I think the difference between a Quest & a Techno, is that the Techno has 5 reclining positions, whereas the Quest has 3.
The techno has bigger wheels as well, but is slightly heavier than a Quest.
Look on e-bay, as they often have brand new maclaren buggies going cheap.

blueteddy Sat 23-Apr-05 10:29:40

I am a buggy addict too!
I wanted to buy another on e-bay last week, but dh stopped me
I do have 4 in the garage though!!!

misdee Sat 23-Apr-05 10:31:08

i have 3 atm. teh e3, graco citisport (the only buggy that fits in my parents car), and the triumph which is currently not being used.

blueteddy Sat 23-Apr-05 11:04:09

I have a big bulky M&P pushchair (which is never used), a M&P pliko (which I do use , as ds1 can stand on the back), an oshkosh one, which I brought all the way back from the states, just because it was an oshkosh pushcair!!!!
I also have my Triumph, which probably gets the most use of all.
I know I should get rid of a few, but I can't quite bring myself to part with any of them ATM!!!

lockets Sat 23-Apr-05 11:15:20

Message withdrawn

LIZS Sat 23-Apr-05 11:24:20

There are some reduced Maclarens here . If you are really only likely to use it for travelling get the minimum spec/weight for your priorities ie. recline - perhaps one or two seat positions are sufficient, hood/shade, lockable swivel wheels, basket etc. We had a Maclaren with 4 positions but only really used the most upright and most flat ones !

alibo Sat 23-Apr-05 19:56:34

just checked back on my thread-thanks for all the advice from you buggy addicts!! still not sure about techno/quest/triumph-so much choice!!! btw, what is an e3??

blueteddy Sun 24-Apr-05 10:43:03

An e3 is a 3 wheel double pushchair, where the baby kind of lays in the basket bit, so it looks like a single pushchair.
I have never had the need 4 one of these, as ds1 was 3.5 when ds2 was born, so I am sure someone who own's one of these will give you a better description!
Mothercare do single buggies that recline for around £30.
I would imagine that they would be idal, if you just want to use it for a holiday.

blueteddy Sun 24-Apr-05 10:43:42

That was supposed to say ideal!

louee Sun 24-Apr-05 10:45:51

how about the new quinny that packs into a small bag too!!!!!!!!about £130

Meggymoo Sun 24-Apr-05 10:47:19

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sun 24-Apr-05 10:47:37

We got the Volo (when DD was about 14 months) for using abroad and on holiday/weekends away. It is very light and has a carrying strap. You can buy an accessory pack for it but we didn't bother - just bought a cheap Mothercare waterproof cover, and a simple parasol. All fit it fine. Because it is mesh it dries out quickly if it gets wet, and it also keeps toddler from getting too hot - as air circulates underneath and at sides. It doesn't recline, but TBH DD still slept in it perfectly well.

We've had it a couple of years now, and it is in great condition.

Meggymoo Sun 24-Apr-05 10:49:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now