Talk

Advanced search

Need a quick vote this am pls - Ikea or J.Lewis for first bed

(42 Posts)
Thomcat Sat 23-Apr-05 08:48:21

We're off as soon as we can get ourselves up and out so should have done this last niht - but quick vote girls -

Lottie - 3 yrs old, not walking but getting big, new bbay on way etc so time for new big girls first bed.

Ikea
or John Lewis?

Where would you go?

Gwenick Sat 23-Apr-05 08:48:41

John Lewis

Yorkiegirl Sat 23-Apr-05 08:49:53

Message withdrawn

tortoiseshell Sat 23-Apr-05 08:50:06

Ikea - lots of choice for childrens' beds, as long as you're handy with a screwdriver!

Thomcat Sat 23-Apr-05 08:54:13

this isn't going well. 1 for JL, 1 for Ikea and a curve ball!
Need more votes!

iota Sat 23-Apr-05 08:54:58

I think we bought ours fom Dreams - cheap pine beds

Thomcat Sat 23-Apr-05 08:56:41

Oh no don't throw me curve balls!
Ikea or john lewis, we whittled it down to those 2 but D wants ikea, I want JL so I need you to help decide.

katierocket Sat 23-Apr-05 08:57:06

JL because Ikea beds are odd sizes so you will always have to get bedding to fit from there

vwvic Sat 23-Apr-05 08:59:43

Ikea. They do a pretty cheap mattress ae well, about £35 for a single size. It's really comfy too. We bought one for dd's first bed, again so when she wee'd/ threw up on it we don't feel bad throwing it away.

Georgiasmum Sat 23-Apr-05 08:59:54

Have you thought of getting an extendable bed from IKEA? A friend of mine has one which is apparently excellent!

vwvic Sat 23-Apr-05 09:01:07

Not all ikea beds are odd sizes- ours are standard single size. watch out for the small 80*120 size and you'll be fine.

milward Sat 23-Apr-05 09:20:10

We have recently got an ikea bed for our dd(4yrs). It consists of a mattress base and a mattress on top. Size is 90x200. It fits all usual bed linen. It's not from the childrens section but is a good buy and very comfortable. Easy to put together - dh did this in under an hour. The mattress is from the section where you choose items with a huge trolley. It was rolled up compactly. Then we had to go to the order area to order the mattress base which was heavy and flat packed. As we were having other things delivered we had the base delivered as well.

ambrosia Sat 23-Apr-05 09:22:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nemo1977 Sat 23-Apr-05 09:24:53

TC we got a mothercare toddler bed that extends into a single bed...its lovely wood and really solid..think it was £150. It has a foam mattress with it but i thought that was great cos can get bedwetting etc out the way before buying a decent single mattress...good luck

moondog Sat 23-Apr-05 09:25:46

I've got one of those extendable beds. They're pretty groovy, although everyone tells me they look like hospital beds (hey, but I like that look!) Cost me under £100 and was a nice transition from the cot as I extended it gradually. Also has little side thingies on it.
Was great, still is, azlthough I recently splashed out on a f** off fantasy king size one for her from the Iron Bed Company. (How spoilt is that?!) Still love the IKea one too, as does anyone who sleeps on it.

ScummyMummy Sat 23-Apr-05 09:26:00

ikea has more choice, I'd say.
Hope Lottie loves her new bed.

Gwenick Sat 23-Apr-05 09:27:43

I personally wouldn't buy from IKEA because it's just a glorified Argos - cheap tat - made from MDF and liable to fall to pieces in no time at all. John Lewis may be more expensive but you can get a bed that LASTS - ok you may need to replace the mattress 'if' it gets ruined by bed wetting (personally we've just got mattress protectors that stop the mattress getting wet in the first place but you'll still have a decent solid bed.

moondog Sat 23-Apr-05 09:38:14

Harumph...erm Gwenick, my Ikea bed is solid welded metal, I'll have you know!! (Although I go with you on the MDF stuff.)

aloha Sat 23-Apr-05 09:43:56

Oooh, Thomcat, Ikea has DREAM wrought iron extendable bed - real fairytale bed in cream. Totally new. Have my eye on it for dd - only she's only 10 weeks.
Are you pregant by any chance?

Miaou Sat 23-Apr-05 09:47:47

hmm... we've had beds from both Argos and Ikea, and both were fine. I'd go to Ikea personally.

Will Lottie get to choose? I have a lovely picture in my head of her bouncing up and down on all the beds!

PuffTheMagicDragon Sat 23-Apr-05 09:48:56

Ds1's is from Ikea - its great - extendable to 3 lengths - inexpensive.

misdee Sat 23-Apr-05 09:50:54

saw a gorgeous metal extendable bed in IKEA the other day. it was sooooo lovely and girly. and they do some lovely bedding and accessories as well. dd2 made me buy rabbit bedding, at only £6 i couldnt argue lol.

we have the VIKARE bed, its very low so easy for little uns to climb on by themselves.

zippy539 Sat 23-Apr-05 09:53:41

Ds's bed is from Ikea - the one that has three possible lengths. It's been brilliant - feels really sturdy and he loves it. BUT have just ordered the Ellen bed from John Lewis for DD's first bed - cause I fell in love with it .

Umm - not really very helpful

aloha Sat 23-Apr-05 09:54:24

Misdee - snap!

zippy539 Sat 23-Apr-05 09:54:25

Sorry - inadvertant attack of the smilies in previous post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now