Talk

Advanced search

why an i-pod?

(19 Posts)
bea Thu 21-Apr-05 22:12:43

thinking of getting one.. i would love to get an i-pod... purely cos i've heard people rave on about them.... but dh thinks we should get just a bog standard mp3 player.... so i need some info as to why i should get an actual i-pod...

also... i love the idea of playing all our tunes in the car.... how do you go about this with an ipod? do you just get one of those casette thingys and play it through your car stereo... and can you do this with all mp3 players? or do you have to get an i-travel (i think they're called)

please.... some i-pod educating needed here!!!

thanks!

Whizzz Thu 21-Apr-05 22:15:22

DH bought me a Creative Zen Touch - reckons they are much better than an I-pod "They're just for posers" says DH & you pay for the logo. Apprantly mines a higher spec & much better !
You can get a lead to link the player up to the input of your car radio (well on ours you can but we haven't got a lead yet!)

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 22:49:20

You can buy a little radio transmitter thingy for an ipod. You won't need a wire to play music in the car, in effect your ipod will be a little pirate radio station.

I'm not 100% sure but these transmitters may be outlawed in the UK. They are available though.

I won't debate ipod vs. A N Other system (and I haven't used anything else), but I believe the ipod currently has 43% of the market in this segment and I'd guess only part of it can be due to great marketing.

If you use a Mac or one day might buy one, you can synchronise your address book and calendar onto your ipod which is pretty neat !

HTH

bea Fri 22-Apr-05 07:37:44

thanks so far... bump for the morning crowd!

hoxtonchick Fri 22-Apr-05 07:40:01

you don't need an i-trip/travel, we've got an adapter that goes in the tape player & a wire comes out of it & plugs into the headphone socket in my ipod. cost a couple of pounds. i love my ipod, it's very cool!

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 22-Apr-05 07:46:54

I have an I-pod and am dead impressed with it. We've put all our cd's on to it and then put them in the loft for more space in out living room.

I use a site called soulseek (which is free) and you can download everything from it. I have all sorts from The Harry Potter and Lord of the rings audio books to every album imaginable.

We did have a radio transmitter for it, which is illegal in the UK atm but not in the US but we found that depending on where we travelled we would have to keep changing the station and then re setting it on the I-pod which is not easy when your driving.
So having got fed up of that we bought the cassette which is great, it only cost £6 and it works everywhere.

One other tip, invest in a cover for it like an I-skin to stop it getting damaged.

lockets Fri 22-Apr-05 07:56:23

Message withdrawn

ggglimpopo Fri 22-Apr-05 08:13:30

Message withdrawn

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 22-Apr-05 08:17:41

No. There are occasions when the site is off, which is basically when they switch it off in fear of it being checked.

It's a worldwide site and if they are on-line and downloading something you can look at their files and see what music they have and they can do the same to you if you want. If you don't want other people downloading from you, you can't from others IYSWIM.

hub2dee Fri 22-Apr-05 08:26:28

I understand that according to Russian law, allofmp3.com is legal.

There has been quite a bit of debate and publicity for this download library (chargeable but affordable), mainly with people trying to figure out if it was kosher. It hasn't been taken down so I presume that at the moment is has been deemed OK.

I know people who have used it. They are perfectly happy with it.

I haven't.

HTH

dot1 Fri 22-Apr-05 09:12:12

Hi Bea!!! As you know I LOVE my mini-ipod - wouldn't be without it now - have been able to get re-aquainted with all my music on journeys to/from work after only being able to have bloody Cbeebies on for the past 3 years!! I'm turning into a real geek, having different playlists and I love that it sorts all the songs into different categories automatically..!

Go for it!!!!!

bea Fri 22-Apr-05 09:30:09

ahhhh! but what does an i-pod do that a regular mp3 player can't do... except be able to store more songs...?

hello dot1!

wheresmyfroggy Fri 22-Apr-05 09:34:36

i-pods can be used for data storage as well

hub2dee Fri 22-Apr-05 14:14:11

... and they do have a pile of optional accessories... (microphone / transmitter etc.)

... and you can get one which displays your photo album too (on its little colour screen).

They're all just little elctronic toys at the end of the day.

lockets Fri 22-Apr-05 14:16:19

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Fri 22-Apr-05 14:34:03

Life is ugly enough without ugly peripherals ruining our sunshine.

Apple products do tend to be very good looking. They take after the users.

LOL.

ggglimpopo Fri 22-Apr-05 16:40:40

Message withdrawn

bonym Fri 22-Apr-05 17:14:49

We LOVE the i-pod and the i-trip is fab - no longer do we have to cart CDs around with us!!! The click wheel on the i-pod is really neat - don't think other MP3 players have this (although I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong about this).

I bought dh an i-river for his birthday last year as I couldn't get an i-pod in time (due to wait lists). Being a big MAC person (as opposed to Big-Mac person ) he was a tad disappointed. Anyway, turns out the i-river didn't work with the Mac so we sent it back and I then bought an I-pod off ebay from the States. It is MUCH nicer than the i-river.

hub2dee Fri 22-Apr-05 18:19:10

Hi ggglimpopo. iPods work with Macs and PCs.

There is a companion application 'iTunes' which manages the ripping of your CDs, management of the playlists, synchronisation between the collection on your computer and iPod. You can download the Mac or Windows version (2000 or XP only I think) here .

I think it is fair to say the app sits happiest on a Mac - I've seen a couple of people who've struggled to get it working on a PC, but in theory it should be fine whatever you use.

I do think it's the only one with a twirly click wheel thingy which is very nice to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now