Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a fire pit or a chimnea?

(14 Posts)
johnbarrowmanlovesme Tue 24-Mar-09 17:56:37

We love sitting out in the summer & currently have a brazier which is great but makes such a mess when all the ash falls out of the sides! So I have been looking at the fire bowl / pits and also chimneas just don't know which to go for.

Does anyone have either of these & would you recommend buying one??

HolyGuacamole Wed 25-Mar-09 00:40:41

A friend has two square firepits in their very large contemporary garden, they look fab, give off great heat. LIKE THIS - bottom left picture They are quite deep with a pyramid shaped mesh-like lid so they don't blow ash everywhere.

Maybe an older/more traditional styled garden would suit a chimnea better though in terms of aesthetics? I don't have experience of the heat they give off though or how tidy they are?

cheekychopsmum Wed 25-Mar-09 13:08:23

They are selling both in Home Bargins/Quality Save for £29.00

johnbarrowmanlovesme Wed 25-Mar-09 14:06:31

What a fab website, thanks for the link. Our garden is an older styled garden so thinking about it, maybe a chimnea would look better aesthetically.

We don't have a Home Bargains or quality Save near us unfortunately but am going to Google to see how far I would have to go to find one as £29.00 sounds like a bargain.

Thanks for your replies smile

HolyGuacamole Wed 25-Mar-09 17:16:18

I just saw that Argos have the square fire pits for only £29.99!! smile Think I might have to get one!!

ra29needsabettername Wed 25-Mar-09 17:31:34

I've never heard of these- they look great. What do you use for fuel?

HolyGuacamole Wed 25-Mar-09 19:33:40

You use charcoal, just the same as you would a bbq. Or you could use small logs/bits of wood lying around the garden.

HERE is the one in Argos, it's a fab bargain!

johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 28-Mar-09 13:37:38

That looks fab! I had a Briquette maker for Mother's day, you make the briquettes out of newspaper & any paper that's not shiny & also cardboard. We have been in production since last Sunday & now have a couple that are dry enough to burn smile Thay are meant to burn for about 2 hours & leave minimal ash. How green is that! Can't wait to try them out.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 28-Mar-09 13:39:55

Out of stock at all our local Argos sad

HolyGuacamole Sat 28-Mar-09 18:37:42

I know johnbarrowmanlovesme. My DH had to drive 40 miles to another Argos to get it. Worth it though as its a good bargain and he likes a long drive.

I'm really interested in this briquette maker you mention, I am away to look it up and see what it's all about smile

johnbarrowmanlovesme Sat 28-Mar-09 20:13:38

Did you find them Holy? I got mine off Ebay. We were hoping to burn my first one tonight in my brazier but it's too cold to sit outside, even round the fire sad

HolyGuacamole Sat 28-Mar-09 22:44:11

Hiya, yes I found them, they look fab! If you're anything like me, when you get new stuff like that, you just want to use it NOW, haha smile Hopefully it'll be a bit warmer soon and you'll get the chance.

Seems like a good way to use all our junk mail etc. Now I just need to talk DH into how much of a great idea it is to have one smile

franch Sat 13-Jun-09 14:15:25

Just reviving this thread as we're having a party next week and were looking into patio heaters. We'd much prefer to get a chimnea for environmental reasons - they also look infinitely nicer - but how much heat do they give out in comparison??

(I think probably not a fire pit as there will be a few kids around.)

CMOTdibbler Sat 13-Jun-09 14:25:02

We have just got a firepit from Homebase - this one. Chose it as the outside doesn't get too hot, so safe with children around (relatively). Chimineas can be v v hot and not look it, so not good with children.

Ours gave off enough heat to be very comfortable in the late evening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now