Talk

Advanced search

anyone got a patio heater?

(16 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 20-Apr-05 13:12:58

thinking about buying one for the (hopefully!) nice long summer evenings. are they worth the money? are they child safe? thanks IA !!!!!!!!!

nailpolish Wed 20-Apr-05 13:22:06

ohplease

ive been saving hard for one and want to know if im going to spend it wisely

SueW Wed 20-Apr-05 13:27:12

We love ours. Summer starts so much earlier. We can put it on and sit out until midnight, even in early May.

The heat is so far up and the whole thing so heavy, I can't see how they could be child unfriendly!!!

ambrosia Wed 20-Apr-05 13:32:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sponge Wed 20-Apr-05 13:35:10

My parents have a couple. They're brilliant. You can sit out till long after dark and really enjoy the summer evenings. I wouldn't want the kids playing right by it but pretty safe yes in that they would never tip over and nothing at reachable height gets hot.

pabla Wed 20-Apr-05 15:32:23

I've thought of buying one too as our garden faces SE so is mostly shady in the evening. We have a deck so am not sure how safe they are on that sort of surface - plus I don't trust our ds's to be safe around one just yet. So I think I'm going to wait for another year or two.

nailpolish Wed 20-Apr-05 17:06:22

brilliant!!! glad to hear they are safe - and they work as you would expect of them. thanks v much xxx

morningpaper Wed 20-Apr-05 17:28:49

I always think these are the height of madness - using GAS to heat up THE OUTSIDE?! It's like cutting out the middle man on global warming ...

hub2dee Wed 20-Apr-05 17:35:41

If you want to be even safer (but it's ugly, I warn you), go electric. You know those funny orangey gold light thingies that miraculously make you feel warm and then make you want to run away in case you get skin cancer...

I'd advise you to very carefully check the killowattage of any given heater to confirm heat output. If in doubt over specify to create larger circle of heat as you can always turn it down low.

Trying to make a smaller output heater hotter is, ahem, challenging.

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 17:36:30

I always go in at the first sign of a nip in the air

hub2dee Wed 20-Apr-05 18:06:11

I always go out at the first sign of a nip in the air

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 18:51:23

LOL!!!

took me a minute

hub2dee Wed 20-Apr-05 19:02:16

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Whizzz Wed 20-Apr-05 19:04:04

Put an extra jumper on - much safer & kinder to the environment !

Or just drink more alcohol - so you don't notice the temperature !

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 19:11:44

We have both a chiminea and a patio heater and I would not be without either of them, that said we resort to fleecies first and then light them.

Whizzz Wed 20-Apr-05 19:16:59

What ..... light the fleeces ??
Surely a bit dangerous?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now