Talk

Advanced search

cheap new kettle - drinks taste funny.

(10 Posts)
pavlovthecat Sat 21-Mar-09 08:51:06

Our kettle blew. We have had several kettles over the last few years, they have been crap. We want a nice lovely le creuset to go on the hob. But, this is expensive so we have to wait a couple of weeks.

So, in the meantime DH bought a cheap £5 kettle from sainsburys, just to tide us over.

Anyway, drinks taste foul. How can I get rid of the plastic taste that my coffee now has? My morning has been ruined and I now have to go out and get a take out coffee!

I'm guessing you've boiled it a few times before using it?

pavlovthecat Sat 21-Mar-09 19:46:52

oh a reply!!!! yes, boiled it a few times, changed the water, still tastes gross. I am pg and worried it was just me, but I have now been boiling the water in a pan (oh modern times eh?) and it tastes fine. I guess cheap is not always best eh?!

Does your DH agree the water tastes funny?

We've just got a new kettle (£15) and boiled and refreshed the water 4 times first. The 5th time I made a cuppa and it still didn't taste right, but 6th time was a charm smile

If you've boiled kettle several times (and replaced water each time) and still not happy, I'd take the kettle back and ask for a refund.

onadietcokebreak Sat 21-Mar-09 20:19:36

I find that with cheap kettles it generally takes about a week of crap tea for the taste to die down!

southeastastra Sat 21-Mar-09 20:20:40

i took a cheap kettle back once as it tasted really electrical

nappyzonecannotcycleuphill Sat 21-Mar-09 20:21:46

i have took one back also that tasted like tcp <vom>

pavlovthecat Sat 21-Mar-09 21:59:09

By the time we wait a week I might have enough money for my le creuset! I am waiting for a sale somewhere!

pavlovthecat Sat 21-Mar-09 22:00:24

I guess at a fiver I can't really complain eh? I mean, I am meant to be cutting down. DH has said, yes a couple of crappy drinks, but the last one was fine. Er, yes, it would be, I made it by boiling water on the cooker!!! Point proved!

marcandre Mon 18-May-15 18:35:58

It´s been a very long time but still I think my thought could be useful.

Couldn´t the strange water taste come from formalhydide?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now