Talk

Advanced search

Cod's gonna kill me but here goes...

(41 Posts)
Gobbledigook Mon 18-Apr-05 18:43:12

... can't be bothered to search archives.

Dyson has finally given up the ghost and I need a new hoover - NOW!

Henry or Miele - convince me.

Henry is cheap, I can get it online from Tesco and earn points for that too.

Got a lot of outgoings right now so don't want to spend a fortune.

Which one?

Satine Mon 18-Apr-05 18:48:06

I recently printed off the Which best buy guide to hoovers (mine is not long for this world, I fear) and they reckon Bosch and Miele are the two best buys - Dyson not because of poor reliablility (although mine has done 9 years without a problem). Can give you specific models if you want! They didn't mention Henrys.

irishbird Mon 18-Apr-05 19:14:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blossomhill Mon 18-Apr-05 19:15:08

I think the Henry is fab. I have one and use it on my wooden floors.

unicorn Mon 18-Apr-05 19:23:04

We like Henry too...

btw Cod...searching archive is fine but there are plenty of 'new' opinions on old questions too. Which is why newbies (and olduns) may ask the same Q again and again.

<unicorn runs for cover from a barrage of flying fish.. then decides to stay put and catch them.... with her horn >

Gobbledigook Mon 18-Apr-05 19:29:42

I know Miele ones are fab but I guess I want to be convinced of the Henry because it's cheap!!

I've got both wooden floors and carpets and lots of it so really need a good one.

katierocket Mon 18-Apr-05 19:31:11

at not searching archives.

we just brought Miele - very good. It's teh compact one - think it was abotu £120

did you watch that progam about Windsor castle though - all the cleaners were using Henrys!

marthamoo Mon 18-Apr-05 19:37:21

After the last flurry of hoover debating on MN I persuaded dh we should buy a Henry.

And...I don't like it. It's too sprawly - I'm always fighting with the wire and the tube and the attachments. It gets stuck behind things and I'm yanking it to drag it into the room. It won't do my stairs with the cylinder bit at the bottom - I have to balance it on a stair part way up. It takes up loads of room in my understairs cupboard and is always attacking me when I get the buggy out.

I don't think it's a Henry per se that I don't like - I mean, it picks up fine and has mega suction. I just think I'm an upright and not a cylinder kinda gal

And apparently the damn things are indestructible and last for ever so I'm lumbered with it now

Kelly1978 Mon 18-Apr-05 19:37:51

We used a Henry at work - and it was c* on carpets I'm afraid. I think they do several models tho, so they prob aren't all the same. This was a red one.

jellyhead Mon 18-Apr-05 19:41:00

I love my Henry. I'm a bit sad and have been known to hoover twice a day and its great.
Lesser brands have died at my hands in 6 months but Henry never lets you down

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 19:44:14

Message withdrawn

WestCountryLass Mon 18-Apr-05 20:27:13

Bissell!

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 20:28:45

Message withdrawn

Davros Mon 18-Apr-05 20:38:01

Henry sucks up baby pasta a treat. Buy two Henrys, one for upstairs and one for downstairs

jennifersofia Mon 18-Apr-05 20:39:57

We have a bosch and are happy with it - seems quite reliable as I have used it every day for the last year and it hasn't complained. It is the 'sprawly' type though - so depends on what your preference is.

Chandra Mon 18-Apr-05 20:42:08

Miele specially Miele Solution (as cat and dog but with a hepa filter)cat and dog. It's cheaper than Dyson, works better than Dyson, it has made a HUGE diference to DS allergies and it's expected to have a 20yrs working life. My Dyson only survived for 4yrs and I didn't even use it that often!

vickiyumyum Mon 18-Apr-05 20:43:39

we have a henry and it works fine, i wouldn't say that i love it, it is after all only a hoover! but got wooden floor downstairs and carpet on stairs and up stairs. it works great on both floor types and imo it works better that the dyson that we had.
just in case you wanted to know we have the red henry!

Chandra Mon 18-Apr-05 20:43:52

P.S. Have also used the Henry and yes, it's far cheaper than the others and definitively good value for money but definitively in a diferent league.

cod Mon 18-Apr-05 20:45:33

Message withdrawn

Willow2 Mon 18-Apr-05 20:47:36

miele - last for blooming ever.

anorak Mon 18-Apr-05 20:49:27

Another vote for Henrys. I had several when I used to run guesthouses in London. When I closed them up and came to live in Herts 5 years ago I brought 2 of them with me. They are both still going strong. The other great thing is they are light to use.

WestCountryLass Mon 18-Apr-05 20:58:42

Sorry for the crap link:

http://uk.bissell.com/Products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Bissell&category%5Fname=Vacuum&product%5Fid=UK+Lift%2DOff+Bagless+Upright+Canister

It is BRILLIANT!

tigi Mon 18-Apr-05 21:14:39

i love my henry.
the Mirror newspaper did a test on several models not long ago when a new dyson was launched, and Henry won!

MistressMary Mon 18-Apr-05 21:16:22

Henry!
My partner used them for contract cleaning yonks a go. Robust and easy to use.

JoolsToo Mon 18-Apr-05 21:18:11

a cod can't kill you - unless its got salmonella

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now