Talk

Advanced search

Child Bike Seats

(8 Posts)
RamblingRosa Mon 16-Mar-09 09:18:08

Not sure if this is the right thread to post on but I want to get a child bike seat so DD (17mo) can ride on the back of my bike. Just wondering what the best one to get is. There seems to be a huge range in price (£25-£125). Is it ok to get a cheaper one?
I don't want to compromise DD's safety but I don't want to get ripped off either!

RamblingRosa Mon 16-Mar-09 13:59:40

bump

lucy38 Tue 05-May-09 12:20:51

Hi Rosa

We use the ibert safe t seat for our two little boys (13 mths and 2 years old), it cost about £70 from www.tinyexperience.co.uk. This is front mounted, I know you said you wanted a rear one but when we used one at Center Parcs I found it hard as your balance was off and I couldn't see what James was doing!
Hope this helps.

insywinsyspider Wed 06-May-09 12:14:09

we have a hamax rear mounted seat which is really good, I think cheaper ones are fine as long as they have enough covering down the sides so if the bike falls over dd is protected around the middle and importantly there is a kind of cut out for their head so it doesn't get pushed forward when you put their helmet on, I hope that makes sense, best thing to do is go to local shop and try a few
I think it may also depend on what bike you have at mo, hamax one is mounted on rigid parcel tray so can't be used on full suspension bikes (like my dh's!)
check out this site for good range www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Child_Seats/

HappyHarry74 Mon 04-Jul-11 14:41:40

I'm desperately trying sort out a bike seat for my 14mth old girl but keep coming unstuck. I bought a Weeride kangaroo a while ago having read such good reviews but I simply cant use it. My bike is a ladies Trek allant and with the child seat in position I cannot stop safely. You have to stay on the seat (the child seat prevents you from jumping forward) and try and put your feet on the ground but even when my seat is at its lowest point I cannot safely achieve this. Please can those of you who have a Weeride and use it successfully tell me how you stop safely? I don't mean stopping to get off the bike, I just mean to stop at lights etc. I dont understand why no one else has this problem...is it because my legs are too short?! Can those of you with other front child seats let me know if you have the same problem or if there is more room between you and the child seat so you can move forward to stop safely? Thank you!

mpuddleduck Wed 06-Jul-11 08:58:36

I have used a rhode gear seat for both my wee ones, sadly dd has just outgrown it at nearly 5 years.
It has a recline feature and is very safe, high back and solid bar in front.
I would happily sell it to anyone interested.
It fits onto a rack (which is easy to purchase) so you can change it to other bikes really easily as well.

britishbulldog Wed 06-Jul-11 21:32:23

don't have a weeride, have a bobike mini, but the principle is, I think, the same. I don't have a problem getting off the seat at lights, and in fact there was enough room to go on using it till I was 8m pregnant. Am tall though... Does the weeride basically attach to the handlebars? Can you move it forward at all? Can you move your saddle back a bit on its post to give you more room?

Eglu Wed 06-Jul-11 21:35:15

I have one from Halfords and it has done both of my boys really well. We also bought an extra connector so we can quickly move it from my bike to DHs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now