Talk

Advanced search

Recommendation for birthday or Christmas pressie - ACE!

(4 Posts)
chicaguapa Mon 18-Apr-05 11:54:17

We bought DD (3) a Butterfly garden for Christmas as her favourite book has always been the Hungry Caterpillae. The caterpillars were delivered 2 weeks ago and they have now all made their cocoons and hanging upside down in their little pot. Now we have to transfer them to their special garden where they'll stay for 'more than 2 weeks' before they hatch into beautiful butterflies!

DD is absolutely thrilled with this and TBH so are DH and me! We've watched them grow from 3mm to 4cm in 2 weeks and hang upside down from the lid. Then the head comes off (!) and travels up and down and around the body making silk and effictively the cocoon. Then the head drops to the bottom of the cup!

We paid £16 for this online and I think it's such a great present I'm going to get it for all the children I know when their birthdays come up. I thought I'd share this with everyone.

yoyo Mon 18-Apr-05 11:56:09

Mine would love this. Where is it from?

Carameli Mon 18-Apr-05 12:00:47

I used one of these in a class when I was on a long term supply. They were 9/10yr old and were also fanscinated by the whole process. It made their project on butterflies even more interesting being able to see them develop.

My daughter is only 18mnths but only the other day I was talking to my dh about these after seeing butterflies in the garden. They are a really great idea!

chicaguapa Mon 18-Apr-05 17:39:57

Am I allowed to put links to websites in? Well, just in case I am, I got it from www.greengardener.co.uk
It costs £17.99 (it's gone up since Christmas) but I saw it in the Urchin catalogue today for £25!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now