Talk

Advanced search

Can't quite sort out my feelings about this one

(20 Posts)
flashingnose Sun 17-Apr-05 09:23:44

This company were promoting their wares at my local NCT sale. What do you think? £7.95 seems an awful lot of money and I can't help thinking that this is making money out of people's worst fears. Or am I a cynical old witch and is it, in fact, a great idea?

Thoughts please.

flamesparrow Sun 17-Apr-05 09:27:27

Makes me feel like kids are dogs....

Blossomhill Sun 17-Apr-05 09:30:09

Personally I don't like the neck ties but the wrist ones are a great idea. Especially when you are on a beach or in a crowded place. Although have to say I watch my children like a hawk anyway so not sure if I would need them, although you never know. Good for me in the fact my dd (5) has communication difficulties.

misdee Sun 17-Apr-05 09:33:17

i think MRsF could make a cheaper version on her laminator

good idea, but dont think my dd's would keep them on.

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 17-Apr-05 09:33:50

I remember them being a suggestion on Mums the Word once, although Carrie and Justine said that writing your number on their hand was just as good.

Blossomhill Sun 17-Apr-05 09:34:34

Misdee - yes mrsf there is a gap in the market you could fill

WideWebWitch Sun 17-Apr-05 09:35:20

I think it's a great idea. But yep, I could make one! And I think I might actually. When ds and a load of friends went to a football match I wrote my mobile no on all their arms just in case we lost one (8 boys, 2 adults). We didn't but they could have shown it to an adult if they had got lost.

flashingnose Sun 17-Apr-05 09:38:37

Well exactly, I write my mobile number on their arms if we're going somewhere like a theme park. Not sure I need a colour co-ordinated £8 piece of plastic...

misdee Sun 17-Apr-05 09:40:03

i might just use dd2 badge maker and put my mobile number on there. they will keep a badge on.

flamesparrow Sun 17-Apr-05 09:42:42

Never thought of the mobile number before... (not had to though cos its only now that she is escaping ).

Tis a good plan... is there anywhere you can buy a job lot of hospital armbands? They would be great for themeparks etc... can't get em off, and you just write the current number for each outing.

alux Sun 17-Apr-05 09:50:43

aahh, cashing in on our worst fears. This website has a distinctly American feel to it. Yep, you can definitely make your own.

Hopps Sun 17-Apr-05 11:00:30

I think we're all missing the point.
1. It's a UK company look in the contacts section - but yes the site does look american
2. If you read the gumpf it's teaching kids a simple principle. To stand still and ask for help.
3. If you want to buy a tag that kids think might be quite cool to wear to help teach them that rule then so be it - if you want to write the number on their arm or make your own that's fine. The point is you've bought into the ethos of teaching the kid to stand still and not to go off with strangers.
4 I don't think it's selling on your fears look half of you do this already - if they want to make nice fashionable ways of carrying your mobile number on them then fine. You don't have to buy them - it's like the telly you can always switch it off.

Personally i think there OK and schools should use them for trips - there better than those rubbish stickers there always putting on them.

Thats my grump over for the morning.
Hopps

Beep Sun 17-Apr-05 11:16:48

wristbands you can get 10 free hospital type bands for £2.50 donation from the family holiday association

flamesparrow Sun 17-Apr-05 12:14:33

Oooh great!! Might invest in some... tis always fun when out with Psycho's 5 plus my one...

flashingnose Sun 17-Apr-05 12:58:30

No Hopps, of course you're right, we don't have to buy them. I suppose it gives me the same kind of feeling as companies selling baby breathing monitors - there just seems to be something a bit iffy about making money out of selling things like this.

<<shuffles off to find something else to get irrationally cross about>>

Hopps Sun 17-Apr-05 19:14:43

sorry definitely had a headache this morning and it wasn't the kids. I guess I was really just saying.. i think they are a good idea. They look nice, fun and I bet the kids like wearing them. if they are happy to wear them then surely they'll understand the idea of don't move ask someone to call the number. Don't go off with anyone.. If our kids get lost they've got to ask for help lets give them a positive action not a negative. We might even make the memory less horrible. I still remember losing my mum and dad at the park and it was bloody horrible.

Plastic hospital wristbands are great cos they are waterproof so good for the beach.. but when we were in hospital having our kids do remember how scratchy they were, how irrating and actually pretty ugly to look at. I couldn't wait to cut mine off my little ones ankle cos it cut into her skin.

On that note I think I will get some afterall.. sorry if I offended anyone.
Hopps
x

Furball Sun 17-Apr-05 20:07:13

Not bought one, but These are alot cheaper!

Surfermum Sun 17-Apr-05 20:37:50

They sound great to me. Dh and I are volunteer lifeguards and a lot of incidents we deal with are lost children or found children. If the ones we found had a phone number on them it would help reunite them quickly.

paolosgirl Sun 17-Apr-05 21:07:15

Never thought of writing our phone no. on the kids arms - what a fantastic idea. The tags look good, but the earlier posters are right - you could make one youself, I guess.

Hopps Sun 17-Apr-05 21:11:13

me again, just thought if you write the number on the arm it might wash off in the sea if you're doing it for a beach!! God I've got to stop posting on here and do my ironing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now