Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have or had underfloor heating?

(6 Posts)
Mirage Sun 17-Apr-05 07:43:51

We are hopefully moving house in a short while.The kitchen,bathroom & conservatory all need work doing on them & the kitchen & bathroom in particular are quite small.We don't want to waste wall space in either room by fitting radiators,so were thinking of underfloor heating,as the flooring in all 3 rooms will have to be replaced anyway.

Has anyone had any experience of this type of heating? Did it do the job efficiently? I have no idea how much it costs to fit or run & what you would do if it developed a fault. Would the floor have to be taken up?

If anyone can shed any light on this,I'd be really greatful.I have an electrician friend popping in to see the house in the next week or so,soif I get positive feedback about it,I can ask him to do me a quote.TIA

bobbybob Sun 17-Apr-05 08:07:53

It costs a fortune to run. We turned all ours on one month and then off again when we got the power bill. What about a wall mounted fan heater for the bathroom, wired up to a switch.

I think it would be a nightmare in a conservatory because the heat would go straight out the window.

It's lovely in a kitchen though, nice warm feet when you have to get up in the night for a glass of water!

KatieMac Sun 17-Apr-05 22:31:36

We have it in the playroom/conservatory....and although our heating bills went up - having and extra room would have put them up anyway, it's on in the background and just keeps the floor wamr...lovely

jenkel Sun 17-Apr-05 23:35:23

We have also just had underfloor heating put in our conservatory/playroom. Lovely as the kids spend most of the time on their hands and knees on the floor. Aparently (or this was the blurb we were told) its pretty reliable and the tiler who fitted ours has never seen it go wrong (ours is under tiles). If it does go wrong, by using a sensor they can pretty much accuratly tell what panel has gone wrong and if you use a decent tiler he should just be able to remove the relevant tiles, but of course only time will tell if thats true or not. The bill has gone up slightly, but no worse than I would expect for having an extra room. I would personally reccomend it for all the rooms that you have mentioned. We are just about to have the bathroom done and will use underfloor heating in their too. It kept the conservatory warm for the best part of the winter, we have big double doors from the dining room and these are kept open so heat does get out their from the rest of the house

FairyMum Mon 18-Apr-05 07:13:42

We have underfloor heating in both bathrooms and it is lovely. It's worth the extra cost I think!

Leogaela Mon 18-Apr-05 11:27:11

I live in switzerland and people have it as standard here in new houses and has been standard for about the last 10 years. It is great! the systems they fit here are less expensive to run than radiators. It will keep the house warmer and drier - love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now