Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

FGS - DONT CLICK ON THE DELL LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(8 Posts)
Willow2 Fri 15-Apr-05 18:54:56

How ironic, there I am saying I'm thinking of getting a Mac because I'm so fed up with sodding viruses and spyware... but out of curiosity I click on the Dell link (noticing the address bar went somewhere strange first before it gets to Dell )and lo and behold my computer goes mental. Something is seriously wrong. Tech what is going on?

GeorginaA Fri 15-Apr-05 18:56:04

Which Dell link Willow? *looks confused*

GeorginaA Fri 15-Apr-05 18:57:00

And are you sure that you just haven't cleared some other spyware off your PC? Dell is fairly reputable and unlikely to have any hidden surprises on their site...

GeorginaA Fri 15-Apr-05 19:05:23

Ah down the bottom of the screen - the URL is a link to tradedoubler - the people who give money to Mumsnet for each click through they get - who then reroute through to Dell.

I do tend to have a clear out of the crap that tradedoubler et al put on computers but I'm surprised that it would have made your computer go wobbly all by itself. Does seem like you may have an underlying virus/spyware component still lurking.

GeorginaA Fri 15-Apr-05 19:06:11

Link works fine for me with no virus or spyware warnings. Then again I use Firefox not IE which helps

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 19:08:05

I just tried it too (on my Dell!) - no probs here either and we do use IE. How mental did yours go, willow?

Willow2 Fri 15-Apr-05 21:39:05

well that was weird... computer started going bananas while I was on the Dell site - came off it and went back on and it did the same thing. Then came back on here and it was going loco. Then shut down IE and went to scan - tried to update only for norton message to come up 47 times saying update in progress (not true). Then managed to update - meanwhile I tried to click on hidden icons only for that part of the toolbar to start zipping open and shutting repeatedly. Then managed, with difficulty as it kept freezing, to clear internet properties folder and cookies folder. Came on here and posted - but that was weird too as words weren't appearing at the same speed as I was typing. Scanned with about five different programmes (including spyware ones). Nothing came up. Computer now seems fine. Maybe it's a sign?

marthamoo Fri 15-Apr-05 21:40:42

Can you all please speak English?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now