Talk

Advanced search

Which mobile phone?

(22 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 17:53:16

I need to go and get a new mobile tomorrow.

Someone ran over my other phone on Tuesday!!!

So, what to get?

I want it on contract, but as cheap as possible!!

But I also want some cross network minutes, a fair few texts and multimedia texts too.

Would like a video phone I think. My sister's can take pretty length videos, which would be cool. My digitial camera only does 15-20 second ones, so it would be nice - and it needs to easily download to the computer.

Fancy one that can play real ring tones too, not just the polyphonic ones.

I am used to Nokia phones, but willing to consider an alternative make.

And anything else?

Don't thing so - a nice, cool phone that is cheap (or ideally free) on the contract. And I need to get it tomorrow!

Any ideas, recommendations, etc.??

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 17:55:18

DON'T GET A 3 PHONE!!!!

That's my only and best advice, hula!

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 17:55:46

Really? Why not? They have a good deal on, contract wise. Are they bad?

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 17:58:21

Coverage is very patchy, phones tend to break and their call centre is in Bombay. DD1 and DS1 have both had endless probs with them and even if you get a phone from a 3 shop you then have to deal with the call centre.

I had a thread about them quite recently and I wasn't the only one, will try to find it.

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 17:58:57

OK then, don't need hassle.

starshaker Fri 15-Apr-05 18:00:20

id look at the nokia site to see what phones are available and then go to www.dooyoo.com and get a review on it to see what other people thought of the phone

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 18:01:40

DD2 OTOH has a fab Nokia picture phone from Vodafone on a contract she is happy with, bear with me!

Yorkiegirl Fri 15-Apr-05 18:02:01

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 18:04:06

That isn't too bad by the sounds of it.

Trouble we find is that we start off on a contract which seems really good and it is for about 3 months, and then it seems to get more and more expensive and we are tied in for 12 months!

I the oast we have been with Vodafone, O2, BT mobile and Orange.

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 18:05:47

Nokia 6630 , it's a great phone and I've heard that Orange have the best deals atm.

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 18:07:43

Oooh, I like that one JanH - looks great. And it can take up to 1 hour of video - wow!

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 18:10:36

It has a fabulous big bright screen and you can do all sorts of silly things with it like adding special effects around video clips. (Just what you need a phone for of course )

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 18:11:43

Does it download to the computer easily enough?

I love gadgets

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 18:14:05

Can't help with that I'm afraid, she hasn't tried it - she's done transfers with other phones, that's easy enough.

Probably best to go to a shop and get a demo!

lou33 Fri 15-Apr-05 18:57:36

i pay £25 a month for x network calls on orange, and for that i get 120 mins and 250 texts, with a nokia 6230.

lou33 Fri 15-Apr-05 18:58:46

oh and it can take up to 3mins of video in one go if you change the settings, as well as a camera on it

JanH Fri 15-Apr-05 18:59:53

Was that a new contract or an upgrade, lou?

lou33 Fri 15-Apr-05 19:04:51

contract is one i had but the phone was upgraded, a lot of their deals are online

RnB Fri 15-Apr-05 19:34:21

Message withdrawn

lou33 Fri 15-Apr-05 19:38:11

O2 are shit as well, wouldn't go near them with a bargepole fro a million quid ever again

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 19:42:19

OK, no 3 then

We actually found O2 okay here. Vodafone we found very expensive. Orange was okay. BT mobile have been fine, but very limited on phone choice.

lou33 Fri 15-Apr-05 19:46:37

I had O2 first of all, they promised me the reception here was excellent. I could only get it on top of my tumble dryer. The first phone they sent was broken so i got a replacement. Second one was still shit, but as i couldnt get reception anywhere locally it didn't make much difference. Apparently it was my fault for them not setting the account up properly to work. All this costing 50p a min to call customer service (orange are free). So eventually i told them they had to cancel my contract, which they said they had, 70 emails later they finally stopped taking money from me. In those emails were handfuls saying they had stopped taking money from me and it would not happen again. Bunch of jokers .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now