Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to use a single duvet on a toddler bed? - If so what tog rating?

(13 Posts)
jumpyjan Sun 01-Mar-09 19:46:38

Am baffled by conflicting advice from mothercare!

Moving DD to a toddler bed (cot bed size) next weekend and was hoping to just go for a single duvet and sort of tuck it in a bit but not sure if this is ok or not?

Also are there any restrictions on what tog rating you should go for? - DD is 2.

nancy75 Sun 01-Mar-09 19:48:07

they are massive - you dont realise how small the bed/big the duvet is until you put it on.
i dont think it would do any harm but you do have an excess of bedding all over the place

firsttimemama Sun 01-Mar-09 19:51:07

You can put a single one on side ways and tuck the excess under one side of the bed - this works better if the bed is parallel to a wall.

RiojaLover75 Sun 01-Mar-09 19:51:08

We have a single duvet and tuck it in at the foot end of the bed. I didn't want to have to buy a toddler bed duvet and then another single one when DS1 moved out of his toddler bed IYSWIM. We do have a summer weight one and an autumn/ winter one.

jumpyjan Sun 01-Mar-09 19:54:26

Thanks for replies. Riojalover is you summer one about a 4 tog?

Am a bit overwhelmed by all the choice - do you think at this age (2) they are fine with a standard duvet or does it have to be a posh/anti allergenic type one?

Seona1973 Sun 01-Mar-09 20:02:41

from the bumpto3 website:

Because the size of the cot bed is smaller it automatically retains more heat when the child is sleeping, however, the larger surface area in a single bed means the child only heats the area he/she is sleeping in, therefore, a higher tog rating is required on the single bed size. The single bed size comprises of 2 x 4 tog duvets that popper together giving flexibility to reduce the tog to 4 togs when the nighttime temperatures increase.

Do not exceed the maximum recommended tog duvet, which is 4 tog for children in cots or cot beds and 10 tog for children in single beds

jumpyjan Sun 01-Mar-09 20:11:49

Thanks Seona. Sorry really tired - does that mean if I go for a single duvet for use on a cot bed I should make sure it is a 4 tog?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 01-Mar-09 20:15:18

My ds1 is in a toddler bed and has a single duvet tucked under at the foot end. His winter one is 7.5 tog and he seems fine with that

MrsGokWan Sun 01-Mar-09 20:16:13

We bought a single duvet from Ikea, which is a summer weight one but rather than the thick lumpy ones you get from most things it is thin and floppy and is easier to deal with on a toddler bed.

Seona1973 Sun 01-Mar-09 20:16:19

yes I would think so as it is the maximum tog recommended for that size of bed. I am sure a 4.5tog would be ok as you would be more likely to find that weight than a 4tog.

alittleteapot Sun 01-Mar-09 20:23:56

We're about to do same with dd - i have bought a 4 tog single duvet from ikea and have put it across the bed (also cot bed) sideways iyswim and tucked excess down side. I didn't want anything too heavy or hot at this age. On cold nights she can always have an extra blanket. Good luck

alittleteapot Sun 01-Mar-09 20:24:22

ps might be 4.5 - whatever lightest one is that ikea do...

AnnasBananas Sun 01-Mar-09 20:44:02

We got a lovely (and cheap!) cot bed duvet from duneln mill, can't remember the price now but from memory 9.99. It's a 4 tog one. They also have small size pillows for a cot bed too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: