Talk

Advanced search

Ford Galaxy?

(32 Posts)
OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 10:55:23

Needing to replace dead much-mourned Renault sad. We need space for 3 tall adults, 3 growing DC and lots of crap.

Have found a nice looking affordable one locally. What is the general opinion? Reliable? Comfortable? Cheap to fix? Wanted an Espace but they seem to hold their price a lot judging by the ones I've seen.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 11:43:58

Oh come on! I know it's boring but someone must have an opinion....

grin

PestoMonster Tue 24-Feb-09 11:45:20

It sounds a rather yummy car...

<<dreams of chocolate>>

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 11:46:47

<sigh>

Thanks pesto.....

I'll bear that in mind

wink

PestoMonster Tue 24-Feb-09 11:48:45

Sorry, will try and be a bit more helpful. My friends recently bought a large Zafira, which they say they're really happy with and accomodates more people than average and also a lot of luggage space.

psychomum5 Tue 24-Feb-09 11:49:03

going on the galaxy I test drove after out espace got crunched, it was very similar to drive and handle, and was comparable inside space-wise.

I personally prefer the toyota previa, but then we have 5 children so needed the space for seating as well as storage.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 11:51:13

Ah excellent. Thankyou.

I only have experience of an Espace and I heart Renaults anyway. But the Galaxy looks OK. Glad to hear it's comparable. Will get DH to go and have a good nose about this evening.

Zafira - I beleive the garage had one of them too....

psychomum5 Tue 24-Feb-09 11:56:35

ooh, we had a zafira as a hire car after one of our accidents, and DH loved it!

it was more like a 'real car' according to DH, rather than an MPV (IYGWIM).

I don;t know as I never drove the zafira due to injuries, but it was nice inside.

not so roomy tho I have to say, unless they do a 'grande' version like they do with the chrylser voyagers???

Loopymumsy Tue 24-Feb-09 14:33:02

Message withdrawn

idobelieveinfairies Tue 24-Feb-09 14:36:53

I've had a galaxy..but a certain model/year were fitted with dodgy auto gear boxes...which was ours sad..it needed replacing and it would have cost a couple of grand, so we bought a previa instead.....and much prefer the Previa...handy for tall people as movable middle seats for more/less leg room.

The galaxy i had was a 98 GLX if i remember rightly.

Rubyrubyruby Tue 24-Feb-09 14:43:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 14:45:07

Thankyou all.

I will check the model fairies. We have had our share of Friday afternoon motors hmm

<Noting down Alhambra and S-Max....>

herbietea Tue 24-Feb-09 14:46:06

Message withdrawn

Poledra Tue 24-Feb-09 14:46:07

I have a new shape Galaxy. It handles fine (for an MPV), better than I expected but not as sharp as I would like (previously owned a Saab). Fantastic boot space, takes 3 under 5s carseats across the middle row. Adults can sit comfortably in the back row, even 6'2" DH.

Reliability - it's only 18 months old, only had one fault which the Ford dealer eventually fixed under warranty after much trying.

Comfortable - yes.

In summary - does what it says on the tin.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 14:48:47

Excellent poledra.

A colleague has a picasso but it seems tiny herbie...aha...i guess that's cos it isn't a Grande Picasso. Doh!

senua Tue 24-Feb-09 14:49:07

I'm not a petrol head so can't say anything technical. Have had two Galaxys and been pleased with them - reliable and economical(diesel).
The only thing that annoys me is the boot. When you swing open the door, the floor is flush to the opening. This may be good if you have trouble lifting things over a lip: you can just slide things in but, equally, it has been known for wine bottles things to fall out if you park on a slope!

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 14:54:10

Gahhh! I will be alert to the wine bottle dangers!

Poledra Tue 24-Feb-09 14:56:53

Oh yes, senua good point, though it does make soooo easy to get the big pram in.

senua Tue 24-Feb-09 15:06:08

The slidiness can be good: ours has done good service doubling as a removal van (piano, wardrobe, sofa) on several occasions.
The other problem with the boot is that it is not a boot! It is just a space behind the rear seats: there is nowhere that is hidden from the view of thieves (?not sure if you can buy a parcel shelf?).

Poledra Tue 24-Feb-09 15:10:07

I have a parcel shelf for mine (it's akchewally called a tonneau cover, you know) but I don't now if Orm's looking at a 2006- model. It costs about £125 (we got them to throw it in when we bought the car from the dealer). It's not so important as this model has privacy glass in the back so it's harder to see into the boot. I do use the tonneau cover as well because I carry such expensive things about am paranoid.

MuchLessTiredNow Tue 24-Feb-09 15:16:37

we have a galaxy - our second - and I would not change - we have 3 children and live abroad and often have to pile all 5 of us in to go back to UK complete with bikes, luggage for a month and baby stuff and pushchairs - we have never thrown anything at it it couldn't handle and have found servicing and parts cheap. - on the old one - new one is fab. we have a 6 speed ghia diesel which has great acceleration compared with our previous petrol automatic and we wil be looking to change to another one in 2 years. hth

OrmIrian Tue 24-Feb-09 15:19:55

2006! Ha <hollow laugh>. Twill be a bit older than that sadly.

It is all sounding promising.

Thanks

senua Tue 24-Feb-09 15:42:53

Mine is an 02 reg with 85,000 on the clock and it is still going strong <frantically touches wood>.

Loopymumsy Tue 24-Feb-09 18:10:10

Message withdrawn

n5rje Tue 24-Feb-09 18:34:07

Alhambra here as well and I love it, I can't comment on handling or anything technical like that (although dp never complains when he's driving) but it has loads of room in the back and you can easily get 3 car seats in the middle row as each seat is separate. I'd agree about the wine shopping falling out sometimes and also with loopy that the boot is fantastic for sitting on if you're changing shoes/having a picnic/need to just rest something. I usually have 6 seats and then use half the boot space but that's more than enough for a pram or pushchair. I think you can get them quite cheaply as there're not as well known as the Galaxy or Sharron but are made at the same factory with the same spec just a different badge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now