Talk

Advanced search

Amazon ... anyone else finding their delivery times really slow ...

(20 Posts)
Millie1 Wed 13-Apr-05 12:15:28

Last few orders when items have been marked available for delivery in 24 hrs, their estimated despatch date is 1-2 weeks later. Anyone else find this? I used to get orders within 4-5 business days from date of order. Really frustrating.

SoupDragon Wed 13-Apr-05 12:30:24

Are all the items in your order available for delivery in 24 hours? I've been caught using the Super Saver free delivery when they hold the entire order up for the one item that's, say, 1-2 weeks.

tamum Wed 13-Apr-05 12:37:28

I have found this for ages (although as Soupy says if there's one item that's slower it does hold everything up) until this week when all of a suddent I got the delivery within a couple of days. That's the first time since they started the free delivery that it's taken less than a few weeks though.

Incidentally, I've been amazed at what a big range of books Play are now selling. As they don't charge delivery at all on anything, it's definitely worth checking there. They always deliver quickly, too.

jodee Wed 13-Apr-05 12:57:47

Yes! Am fed up with them. Just seems to be books, other stuff is OK. Am waiting on a book that had a 1-2 week delivery time. Then they emailed to say it would be 4-6 weeks. Humph. After 4 weeks I got another email to say it will be YET ANOTHER 4-6 weeks. Think I am going to cancel!

NomDePlume Wed 13-Apr-05 12:59:44

NO !!!! DH ordered a juicer for me on 4th April, it had an expected dispatch of 22nd of April yet it arrived yesterday

Millie1 Wed 13-Apr-05 14:22:41

Soupdragon ... yes, everything available w/in 24 hrs.

Tamum - who are Play?

Jodee ... snap. Had exactly the same experience with another order (have we ordered the same book?!) and I've just cancelled the outstanding item.

Nomdeplume - lucky you! Enjoy your juicer.

miggy Wed 13-Apr-05 14:31:41

yes-def gone downhill
Supersaver delivery-they actually say now that dispatch will be slower with this, I had queried with them in the past why using a slower delivery service meant slower dispatch but just got computer generated/person sitting at computer in india type responses.
Few weeks ago I ordered some 24 hr items about a week before ds2's birthday, I used first class delivery because it was important to get them in time. The day before they were still showing estimated dispatch/delivery times of 2 days previous but yet hadnt been dispatched-very odd. After several emails they arrived 2 weeks later! Still they did at least refund the delivery but gen v. unimpressed really.

tamum Wed 13-Apr-05 14:36:07

Play are here!

GeorginaA Wed 13-Apr-05 15:10:21

Yes, especially over at christmas (think I've already posted about their ever increasing despatch date estimates - I was fuming).

I still buy from them, but I do find their service has really gone to the dogs...

Millie1 Wed 13-Apr-05 22:50:35

Thanks for the Play site Tamum .. have bookmarked it!

Thomcat Wed 13-Apr-05 22:52:08

No, the opposite. I bought 3 DVDs on the used section at about 3pm and 2 arrived the next morning the other took 2 days. I was very impressed.

whatsername Wed 13-Apr-05 22:54:47

Ummm, Yeah, actually I ordered a book for ds before Xmas and still haven't got it...thanks for the reminder, must go chase it up...

jane313 Wed 13-Apr-05 22:55:09

I waited weeks and weeks for one order because I chose the no cost option of having them delivered altogether and one of the books was a 6-8 weeks option. After 8 weeks they emailed me telling me the slow book was not available anyway! Useless

GeorginaA Thu 14-Apr-05 08:34:59

Thomcat - the used section is nothing to do with amazon really though (okay, they get paid for it!) It's down to the individual sellers (a little like a fixed rate ebay) to get them out to you on time.

Millie1 Thu 14-Apr-05 09:35:53

Last night the estimated despatch for mine changed to 18-20 Apr ... this morning I get an e-mail to say it's been despatched. Hooray!!

Millie1 Thu 14-Apr-05 09:36:32

Last night the estimated despatch for mine changed to 18-20 Apr ... this morning I get an e-mail to say it's been despatched. Hooray!!

dyzzidi Thu 14-Apr-05 09:38:05

I normally find them excellent.

But have been ordering second had books lately from them so they are not dispatching the individuals are.

foxinsocks Thu 14-Apr-05 09:46:25

yes I agree - most things I have ordered have come when they've said they would. What I can't stand (and it's happened more than once now) is when they say that the estimated delivery or dispatch will be say 1-2 weeks, then you order it and suddenly that date gets longer and longer. I ordered a printer bag for my mum who was visiting from overseas - the bag was supposed to arrive within a week, a week later the date said 2 weeks and eventually, it arrived a month after it's date and my mum had gone back overseas! I wouldn't care if it had told me initially that it would be a month, but it's when those dates are wildly wrong that I find annoying.

lmccrean Sun 17-Apr-05 12:20:08

I used to work for Amazon customer service and yeah miggy...indians have my job now! But I still shop at amazon, mainly cause I know their policies inside out

I know its annoying when things are delayed but it generally isnt Amazons (or my current contracts figleaves and ebags) fault - its their suppliers and in some cases the manufacturers.

Sorry for the rant, but Im in work right now, lol

Millie1 Mon 18-Apr-05 22:04:40

Aaaargh ... it's not Amazon's fault but the courier left the parcel on the back doorstep (can only have been when I went out for 15 mins to collect DS1 from playschool) ... no card through the front door to tell me it was there (don't use the back door) ... 5 hrs of rain later and DH came in the back to ask whether I knew there was a parcel sitting on the step. #

The whole thing was soaked through - cardboard just disintegrated in my hands and no plastic shrink-wrap on the books so they're damp and damaged. So cross as it was a present (already late) for my Dad's b-day. Now have the hassle of a return to fuss over.

Oh heck and now I can't remember whether I hit the refund or replace option and have just re-ordered them. Better go cancel it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now