Advanced search

Whats the proper name for that thing they use to measure children's feet in Clarks and can I buy one?

(8 Posts)
sweetkitty Mon 23-Feb-09 14:34:34

Thats the question really, fed up with a spotty 17 year old measuring my DDs feet than saying oh 7E we don't have any of them in stock, heres an 8F that might fit, oh it does that will be £70 please?

sagacious Mon 23-Feb-09 14:36:23

You want to buy a machine?


My ds's clarks shoes were £30

Save money buy two pairs one of them might fit

Fimbo Mon 23-Feb-09 14:37:10

I think it is called a foot gauge. Don't know if you would be able to buy one though. I hate Clarks for measuring feet.

I used to have a Saturday job in a shoe shop and we used to put talc in chidrens shoes to see their toe outline (especially good for those hard types of shoes when you can't push down and feel where there toes are).

LadyMuck Mon 23-Feb-09 14:39:38

A foot guage or measuring gauge. I think that startrite do a measuring at home service.

To be honest the gauge is just the starting point - not every shoe will measure the same way as it depends on the individual last. It is probably better to find a shop where you trust the staff (and go midweek, never at a weekend).

Fimbo Mon 23-Feb-09 14:40:01

One for sale here

sweetkitty Mon 23-Feb-09 14:41:55

No not the big machine thing, just the little hand held one.

Last time two pairs of winter boots £35 each = £70

and I have another one about to start needing shoes

castille Mon 23-Feb-09 14:47:16

Vertbaudet sell them. I've got one but it's mostly European sizing - the graduations for UK sizes start at about a 2 or 3 I think.

saltcod Mon 23-Feb-09 19:32:10

Startrite have instructions & conversion charts for measuring children's feet & also have a downloadable gauge here. They also sell versions of the ones you get in shops for £4.99

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: