Talk

Advanced search

buggy for a heavier child (age 4 - 5) - any recommendations?

(111 Posts)
donnie Sun 22-Feb-09 16:40:20

I want an umbrella fold job, nothing flash. All the ones I have looked at are up to a max of 15kg which my nearly 4 year old already weighs. Any suggestions?

TIA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We've noticed this thread is quite old and some of the product recommendations are a little out of date. We've spent weeks speaking to parents and testing out pushchairs and buggies. Read our round up buggy reviews to see which stroller was crowned best buggy [spoiler alert, it has a 25kg weight limit].

Hope that helps! flowers

MNHQ

Meme1234 Mon 12-Nov-18 10:55:36

Yes me too. I had to create an account to comment on this. I myself am searching for another buggy for my 3 year old whom I know will need a buggy up to the age of ... well whenever I know best!!! That may be 4, 5 or 6!!!! I have another child who is at school. I don't drive and we live a long way from school so we rely on a bus. The long school run requires use of a buggy. Why am I even giving my reasons. It's made me feel so annoyed that people feel they gave the right to give such negative comments. Why can't people support each other!

Meme1234 Mon 12-Nov-18 10:49:32

Why are people so judgemental. The original poster asked about a buggy. Do these judgemental people know this posters child? Even if there are no special needs sometimes a 4 or 5 year old needs a buggy for practical reasons, for safety. And NO it doesn't affect physical development if they are in a buggy from time to time. It's only like they are sitting in a car seat!!!! Why can't people keep their judgemental ignorant noses out!!!!!!

AverageJoey Tue 21-Aug-18 00:22:59

Had to create an account just to comment on this ridiculous thread, I'm a dad with a 1.whatever year old son. He's 13kg and since most prams/strollers go up to 15kg I was looking to buy something that might go over 15kg as I don't want to keep buying them every year and I came across this.

The PO just asked for a recommendation, in what day and age do you call someone's child handicapped just because they want to get them a stroller at the very stroller normal age of not even 4?! I mean you're either a troll, a stuck up "person" or you've just got issues, I just can't stand people who have nothing better to do than judge people around them and their children, for the things they consider to know best. If my son gets tired to walk at the age of 7 I'll pop out the stroller and walk him around on your lawn.

birchwoods Fri 17-Mar-17 23:01:32

The silver cross pop and zest are both suitable for up to 25kg according to the blurb on the Mothercare website.

FairyWolf Thu 26-Jan-17 12:11:49

My Son has to walk over two miles a day 40mins also to enable his Sister 6 to get to school. Then another 20mins from the school to his nursery. I have no choice but to take a pram. My son is a great walker for distance but 5 days a week is just to much. I am sick of being judged. I had him without the pram walking the distance to find how unhappy he was and how sore his legs are to how it affected his moods. Now we have the pram again he walks next to it most the way but that last little push he is just to tired and I can tell he is very tired. Maybe other parents and none-parents should think about it before they start judging. Or maybe try it yourself with a 4 year old. Its even harder for me getting flack as my 4 year old looks 6 as he is tall. I feel a little better now I have seen your post. Blessed be.

tinytmt72 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:31:36

This is an old thread... but I'm in the same position my 3 year loves to walk but his nursery is quite a distance to walk and back.
He does walk there and home but if it's cold and raining I put him in his pushchair still.. so many judgement ppl out there its ure child not theirs ignore them

ellie1902 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:52:55

My Dd is 6yrs 2mths. She is hypermobile from the waist down. I encourage walking as much as possible. She has a techno but we haven't used it for at least 18mths as our physio said children need the impact of walking for good Bone strength. She sees lots of children with poor lower limb strength due to over use of mothers driving their kids everywhere and prolonged use of buggies for convenience. While all this information is proven and correct sometimes it isn't practical. I'm physically not able to carry my daughter when tired , I don't have a car so walk or use PT. Sometimes my Dd legs hurt so much she cries so she goes in the buggy. At that point the tutting, nasty comments and rude glares start. There are a lot of things other mums do I feel is weird but as I haven't walked in their shoes I tend not to judge.

specialneedsmummie11 Thu 19-Mar-15 14:19:30

looking to get a pushchair for my 4 year old, before anyone bites my head off she has epilepsy and hemi but the disability pushchair we were offered is too much. just need something for my child to rest in when tired from walking. any advise would be great

sumeraangel Wed 11-Jun-14 10:52:40

I think it is sad that people want to judge a child over 3 who needs a pushchair. My son is 4 almost 5 and is autistic so needs his pushchair even now. But I dont think its anyone business why a child needs this.....dont we take the car or public transport rather walk all the way?

5madthings Tue 11-Sep-12 22:05:15

google toby wagons. and you can find similar on ebay if its a cart type thing you want smile

barmar Tue 11-Sep-12 21:50:55

Hi All
I enjoy walking miles, but have been restricted by how far my 2 and 3 year old can walk ( not far and not quick!)
I have been trying to find a buggy or pull cart so I can go on my hikes with children in tow but can;t find anything in the UK that fits this purpose.
Like the lady with the original thread, if any one has any sugestions I too would be grateful

pramsgalore4 Thu 21-Jul-11 09:22:42

click on talk, scroll down look at the left side it will say products, click on that it will drop down a list of other topics and one will say pushchairs grin then at the top of the page just above all the different threads it will say start a new thread in this section click on that.

Lindy123 Thu 21-Jul-11 08:48:53

Thanks for that. How do I find new threads? don't want to upset people. How funny. First used Mumsnet years ago when I had my first but it was quite a small site then. I have a bit more tim now so quite new to it again.......

perfectstorm Thu 21-Jul-11 00:48:06

Lindy - some people get very agitated when old threads are responded to, and this one was originally started in 2009. For some reason this bugs some posters to all getout. Zombie thread = a thread that refuses to die.

pramsgalore4 Wed 20-Jul-11 23:12:48

mountain buggy and baby joggers both take a good weight i think the head room is better on the baby joggers, you need to post this thread on the pushchair bit, there are loads of people who will know grin and a few who will shoot you down but ignore them not all children are good walkers grin

Lindy123 Wed 20-Jul-11 21:47:00

What's that?

usualsuspect Wed 20-Jul-11 20:16:55

gravedigging

Lindy123 Wed 20-Jul-11 20:15:10

What's a Zombie thread?

spout Wed 20-Jul-11 19:47:28

AARGHH zombie thread!

Lindy123 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:44:04

My son is four and if we go to a theme park for the day the Mc Claren which I've had for both of mine comes too. It's great for shoving all the picnic stuff in and if he gets knackered he goes in. Also, if it's chucking it down and I have to get to school for the older one, I shove him in and leg it with the rain cover on....poor woman, if she wants to put her kid in a buggy so be it.

perfectstorm Wed 20-Jul-11 16:20:07

Given the single biggest influence on a child's exercise habits is parental example, I trust all the anti-buggy types walk everywhere themselves. Terrible example if they ever use the car for trips under a mile. After all they're laying down their children's health habits for a lifetime, as someone so sagely observed.

dunerat Thu 30-Jun-11 20:38:53

Still using a Jane 3 wheeler for 3.10 in 90th percentile. He still sometimes has afternoon nap after KG despite 12 hr night, and can lie down comfortably in huge seat. Great for summer evenings out, he sleeps in stroller and we can relax.

Lpel Sat 18-Jun-11 13:49:06

Just joined Mumsnet. Any recommendations for large three wheeler for a four year old? Just recommendations please, no opinions

Loriycs Sun 12-Sep-10 21:18:17

well you obviously felt the need to be back here!

hifi Sun 12-Sep-10 13:05:09

wonder if shes still in it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »