Talk

Advanced search

buggy for a heavier child (age 4 - 5) - any recommendations?

(111 Posts)
donnie Sun 22-Feb-09 16:40:20

I want an umbrella fold job, nothing flash. All the ones I have looked at are up to a max of 15kg which my nearly 4 year old already weighs. Any suggestions?

TIA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We've noticed this thread is quite old and some of the product recommendations are a little out of date. We've spent weeks speaking to parents and testing out pushchairs and buggies. Read our round up buggy reviews to see which stroller was crowned best buggy [spoiler alert, it has a 25kg weight limit].

Hope that helps! flowers

MNHQ

Othersideofthechannel Mon 23-Feb-09 13:01:31

I hadn't thought about the sleeping thing happywomble. Our DCs have never really fallen asleep in buggies but a lot of children do.

I still think it'd be a hassle taking it with you on a plane.

morningpaper Mon 23-Feb-09 13:01:59

I wuold just keep her in whatever buggy you are using at the moment

I very much doubt it would collapse under the strain - I frequently toss BOTH of my DDs in my mothercare jazz stroller and it's not died yet - what's the WORST thing that could happen?!?!?!

donnie Mon 23-Feb-09 13:01:59

Anarchy aunt - agree completely. We walk to school and nursery (at the same place) but it is a mile each way and my dd2 is not up to 4 miles daily ( there and back twice).

morningpaper Mon 23-Feb-09 13:03:26

I just get BORED walking at Child Pace all the frigging time

Get in the stroller and let me WALK like a goodam ADULT fgs

snickersnack Mon 23-Feb-09 13:08:50

I don't think scooters require much effort. dd will scoot for miles on hers (until she falls off, anyway) and never complains, and she moans a lot about walking. Not sure it would be suitable in an airport though…

It's an interesting point about lifestyles. We live within spitting distance of a huge number of public transport links, so I rarely expect dd to walk huge distances unless we are out for a family walk , which is fun and therefore doesn't count (as I tell dd frequently). So although we ditched the buggy for her when she was just 3, I can see in different circumstances we might not have been so quick to do so. My parents live in a market town with almost no public transport, and with very steep hills. I saw lots of older children being pushed up in buggies when we were there at the weekend – which is fair enough, as I think dd would struggle with the 2 mile round trip into town given the gradients involved. If the alternative is a car journey, surely time to take the judgey-pants off?

3girlies Mon 23-Feb-09 16:02:33

Chicco trekkers are brilliant for this and great for bigger todders, also the Maclaren Technos, but the Chiccos are cheaper, look at the car boot sales, I got a Chicco Trekker for £3 last week! It is brilliant, personally I love having a buggy as I would have to carry everything otherwise - 3 coats, 3 lunch bags 3 school bags etc. No way!!
I do not think you are wierd, I would rather keep the buggy for a few months longer as I can't do the carrying of DD3 when she gets tired or on holiday, it is more practical to have one than not.
Some will always find something to judge on though won't they!

Hulababy Mon 23-Feb-09 16:07:26

We took a buggy on holiday when DD was a little over 4. We went to Disney in Florida where the days are very very long and the weather very very hot. We knew DD would need a rest every so often and would possibly have the odd nap, as it was such a busy holiday. She didn't go in it very much although it was useful for bags and coats, and carrying water :D

It was cheaper to take a buggy with us than hire there every day.

We just took our Maclaren Volo and it was fine.

DD never used a pushchair normally at that ge, but I think sometimes a ride is needed on holiday. 3 and 4 is still not that old after all.

Hulababy Mon 23-Feb-09 16:10:18

Buggies are places IME are not a hassle. Keep with you til you get on plane; collect off conveyor belt at other end. Simple. And as said before, useful for hanging bags and coats, etc. on.

I missed having a buggy when DD grew out of one, lol! Quite like it when out with a friend aand her DS,, in his pushchair - bag handles again grin

ConnorTraceptive Mon 23-Feb-09 16:11:37

DS is 3.9 and I think he would love to still be in a pushchair and sometimes I thinks his little legs get tired. Last week we went into town without ds2 and I let him sit in the hauck all the way round - he was such a happy soldier!!!! As was I - much quicker!!

Fimbo Mon 23-Feb-09 16:12:24

My ds still goes to school in his old stroller and guess what????? He is 5 yes that's right 5.

To me its no different from those of you who put your children in cars when you could easily walk if you can. My child gets there by me pushing him rather than driving him.

I don't care really what anyone thinks of this. I have to take my older child to a different school on foot and it is much quicker like this. I also work part-time and don't have time for my ds to doddle along.

We have a cosatto and he is a big child.

Blu Mon 23-Feb-09 16:17:30

We took a buggy on hol when DS was 4 - he slept in it in the evenings when we went out for dinner.

And if you are planning a 5 or 6 mile walk round town or somewhere, it is tortuous with a v tired child.

I am sure Donnie is able to engage brain and make her own decisions....

sarah293 Mon 23-Feb-09 17:22:57

Message withdrawn

naomi83 Mon 23-Feb-09 18:16:33

www.groovystyle.co.uk/productpages/baby-jogger-2008/city-mini-single.html you'll get most of your money back by ebaying it when your done. They're fab buggies, fold easily and big seats, bt lightweight

janeite Mon 23-Feb-09 19:20:20

Sorry but I can't help agreeing with Riven. We don't have a car at all, so my children got used to walking quite long distances from very early on. DD1 was two when dd2 was born, so from that moment, she just walked everywhere - no choice really. Nursery/school was a mile and a half each way: they just had to get on with it!

Hulababy Mon 23-Feb-09 19:34:37

OP does say it is for use on holiday

Fimbo Mon 23-Feb-09 19:46:13

We only use a buggy for the school run. My ds is not overweight far from it.

AccidentalMum Tue 24-Feb-09 21:27:09

Lots of buggies will accommodate your DD but I find strollers very heavy to push with a heavy child in, so would go for something with air tyres off ebay TBH. Nipper single?

Tutting at older DCs in prams drives me absolutely insane. I walk miles a day and could never achieve and see what we do with DD1 (3.5) in a pram. She would be too shattered to enjoy the activity we had walked to, we would have had to set off incredibly early and be unable to get home for lunch. I would also have gone quite doolally walking that slow. In addition, lots of journeys from my house include urban dual carriage ways which it would be completely inappropriate to allow even a reined under 5 near IMO. I doubt anybody puts their 3, 4, 5 year old in a buggy without a good reason.

usernametaken Wed 25-Feb-09 11:39:07

Donnie- why not get a Trunki instead for the airport http://www.trunki.co.uk/ My DD loves hers, she can store all her crap possessions in it and get towed round the airport. If the flight is delayed then she can scoot up and down empty corridors.

Ceebee74 Wed 25-Feb-09 11:47:33

No help with the OP but this thread has answered a question I was considering posting - at what age is it viewed as inappropriate for a toddler to be in a stroller??

Having read this I feel so much better - DS1 is only 2.7 and I was getting worried that he should be walking grin I use it to get him to nursery - he is a 'runner' and I have to cross busy roads etc - there is no way I could trust him to walk and he will not wear his reins - plus I have a 3-month old DS2 who I carry in a sling so I wouldn't be able to carry DS1 if he got tired. I will be doing this until DS1 is 3.2 and I go back to work and then it will be back to dropping them both off in the car on my way to work.

BonsoirAnna Wed 25-Feb-09 11:49:35

Yes, it is weird for a 4 year old to be in a buggy as a matter of routine. A buggy should be kept only for emergencies (going out with an ill child, for example) at this age.

kiddiz Wed 25-Feb-09 13:13:52

DD started school at 3.6 and her buggy had been gathering dust in the cupboard long before then. But she hated it and it was more of a trial to get her in it than just let her walk. I refused to carry her and gave her the choice of buggy or walk. She always chose to walk.
However ds2 was completely opposite. He would always chose the buggy. He used to whine to be taken to school in the car which was literally 10 minutes walk away. He didn't get taken in the car I should add!
Ds1 has sn and used a mclaren major buggy till he was about 10...Ds2 used to join him in there at any opportunity! I believe in taking the route of least resistance... anything for a quiet life. The op is going on holiday. If having a buggy for her daughter to use will make that holiday less stressful (is a holiday afterall) then why not.

3l15a8eth Thu 26-Feb-09 10:20:46

have you tried getting a scoooter (light wieght and fold up type) or a micro g bike. I have atthritis and can't walk very far but nead to know if we go without the buggy we can get home I can't carry my 3.5 year old. saves me taking the car for very short jorneys. She is now able to walk or ride along way. We think she may even be on a bike with pedles with no stablizers at easter

idobelieveinfairies Thu 26-Feb-09 10:28:20

My 4.4 year twin still goes in a buggy-a maclaren one....it is impossible to go to town holding both their hands and shopping bags...impossible, safety will always come before what it looks like to others, if you ant a buggy for your DC then get one smile

Rosa Thu 26-Feb-09 10:40:55

My dd is nearly 3 and I have just bought a new buggy and she can use it as long as she likes... She walks , runs, climbs over bridges , does steps and is fit and active. When we do ' fun' walks we leave the buggy at home however when we are out if gets tired she sits in the buggy . The buggy is convenient when I am shopping as she sits in it and I don't have to hang on to her and pay for shopping at the same time. I do not automatically think that a child has special needs if they are in a stroller / buggy over 3 my nephew is 3.4 and as tall as any 5 yr old - he generally walks everywhere however on long walks he gets tired. Every child is different and should be treated as such - who can say ' oh that child is too big to be in a stroller' unless you know the circumstances - they might as said live with no public transport and have to walk long distances.
Buggy at airport in a delay is a godsend I would not even dream of letting go of it until I really have to !!

DrNortherner Thu 26-Feb-09 10:45:27

Dh and I had a weekend in London when ds was 4.5, he did not usually need a buggy but we took a stroller with us as in London you cover so many miles, ds would not have kept up, he would be tired and mithering to be carried.

On an evening we could stroll around, see the sights and ds was in the buggy snuggled with a blanket. It meant we could enjoy our break instead of being stuck in a hotel room from 8.30pm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »