Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rocket cake tin

(11 Posts)
tomasinatank Tue 12-Apr-05 18:21:01

ANy ideas where I can get a rocket shaped cake tin - online preferably. HAve to make a thunderbird 1 cake for ds's birthday and am at a loss!

cod Tue 12-Apr-05 18:22:50

Message withdrawn

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 18:28:38

If you cook a large square cake, you can easily cut it into a rocket shape. I'll try and explain:

Measure the top side of the cake - say 12", divide by 4 = 3". Then mark 3" from the top left corner, and cut diagonally to the bottom left corner. Do the same on the right hand side.

Then take the two triangles you have cut off, rotate them through 180 deg, and put them at the top of the cake to make the pointy bit.

Does that make sense?

This makes a fairly 'fat' rocket. If you want a thinner one (more like TB1), start off with a rectangular cake.

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 18:29:11

Or try your local cake decorating shop - should be in the phone book. Ours rents cake tins for £1 per day.

SoupDragon Tue 12-Apr-05 18:46:12

I'd cut it out of a standard cake as Roisin suggests. Can't think exactly what T1 looks like though.

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 18:48:21

I think it the red one Soupy, or is it the blue one? It's a long thing rocket-shaped one anyway!

iota Tue 12-Apr-05 18:50:24

here TB1

SoupDragon Tue 12-Apr-05 18:52:16

Looking at \linkhttp://fabgearusa.com/ltdedition_thunderbird_1replica.html\this} Definitely square tin. I thin 'd cut the square cake into 3 long thin strips. Sandwich 1 on top of another for the body. Cut the nose end to a point. This leaves you 1 strip to cut into the right shapes for the fins etc. Ice with grey fondant icing with red nose cone and a blue stip at the bottom (go to a cake decorating shop).

You could actually use a swiss roll for the body and bake a fairly small cake to use for the fins etc.

Or if that picture is wrong, ignore me

SoupDragon Tue 12-Apr-05 18:53:11

If you go down the square tin route, cut out a square of paper the same size as your cake tin and use it to mark out the bits you need. I did this to make a pirate ship once.

SoupDragon Tue 12-Apr-05 18:54:33

this is what I was going on

tomasinatank Tue 12-Apr-05 19:54:48

THank you all - fantastic ideas there to get me going.

Think I will do a trial or 2 before the big day to avoid tears - mine that is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now