loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dumb Question - What's a griddle

(20 Posts)
Twiglett Mon 11-Apr-05 18:38:33

on a gas hob I like there's a removable griddle

what is it? what would I do with it?

oh and anybody any experience of Candy as a make? any good?

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Apr-05 18:39:59

I think a griddle's a ridged pan so for cooking with heat but usually not much oil, like Nigella's griddled aubergines.

collision Mon 11-Apr-05 18:40:41

You can grill things on it like a BBQ and they are very handy for kebabs and things or doing veggies and are very healthy.

JoolsToo Mon 11-Apr-05 18:40:56

isn't it where its got raised bit so you can cook fat free? - (what do I know about cooking!)

Candy - hmmm never had anything by them but I don't think they'd be my first choice

Twiglett Mon 11-Apr-05 18:40:58

by the way the brand page it directs you to doesn't include cooking, and this is £105 cheaper than I found in the kitchen shop

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Apr-05 18:41:03

Ah, but google image search comes up with flat pans like this so maybe I'm totally wrong!

collision Mon 11-Apr-05 18:41:36

You can get griddle pans that are put on the heat that are ridged or on some hobs there is a separate griddle.

Twiglett Mon 11-Apr-05 18:42:06

WWW - I know what a griddle pan is (I think I've got one) but this is part of the hob

Jools Candy wouldn't be my first choice either TBH

collision Mon 11-Apr-05 18:42:56

If you cooked sausages on it, the fat would run out and under the ridged bit so that the sausages are not sitting in grease. We love ours.

Dont know about Candy though.

juniperdewdrop Mon 11-Apr-05 18:42:56

Oooooo i love my griddle Mine is rectangular with one flat side and one ribbed side and goes on two rings. I use it on the halogen and it's great to cook fajitas etc.. u can even defrost meat really quickly on it. Mine is rather large but you can get different sizes. I'll check and see what make it is but it's a good one. Don't tell dh though lol I bought it in a posh cookery shop's open evening after they'd plied me with wine

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Apr-05 18:44:01

Twiglett, ignore me, I haven't a clue!

juniperdewdrop Mon 11-Apr-05 18:44:23

It's chef's design.

Twiglett Mon 11-Apr-05 18:52:41

juniper - its part of the hob not a separate pan which is why I'm confused

juniperdewdrop Mon 11-Apr-05 18:56:37

oic sorry got a bit carried away with myself lol.

It'll be the same but smaller and it probably just fits over a ring by the sounds of it. So you can probably use that ring for other things perhaps??

collision Mon 11-Apr-05 19:13:27

It heats up on its own as part of the hob, usually to one side of the hob, I think. They are very handy.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 11-Apr-05 19:16:09

These are totally standard in Canada. They have their own rings, and the fat does drain off, to some extent, at least in the kind my folks had.

It's really just a big frying pan, though. Not non-stick. You take it off the hob to clean it, obviously.

LGJ Mon 11-Apr-05 19:26:48

if you are not pushed about the griddle this is a fab hob and the fifth ring is worth its weight in gold

juniperdewdrop Mon 11-Apr-05 19:32:01

Wow LGJ that looks great. Do you have it?

Twiglett Mon 11-Apr-05 19:35:19

I was just looking at that one too - spooky

(bit shocked at that £50 delivery on that site)

do you need a 70cm hood over it or will it be ok with a 60cm one?

LGJ Mon 11-Apr-05 19:40:24

Yes JD we do,

I earned a bonus in work last summer and asked the MD if I could order it on the company account, well he is a very careless man, he remembered to charge me for the hob and seems to have mislaid the VAT

Twig

It would be worth ringing your local plumb centre or equivalent, ordering it through them and collecting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now