Talk

Advanced search

Slings for bear grapplers and laydees

(121 Posts)
hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 12:06:07

Contemplating slingerdom for dd to be...

I'd like one which is easily adjustable between dw and I so we can both carry as needed.

A few preliminary questions from the childless and innocent:

1) Is it simplest to buy a newborn sling and a separate one for when they're older ? Realistically, is newborn in sling on man silly as newborn needs feeding so often ? (so we should only aim to fit dw in hope of easy bf.)

(Not following 100% attachment parenting full-time sling-wearing tree hugging lark, but can see the bonding and practical benefits)...

(Tree huggers / attachment parenting proponents please read all my threads with a large pinch of salty humour).

2) One piece or two ? I've read it can be tricky getting baba in and out of a one piece (unless they're tiny)...

3) Any sling shops / sling reps in London (or near) who have a wide selection for sale / demo / trying on ?

And lastly, is the Bill Amberg Papoose , available regularly on ebay, totally fantastic or a pile of pants ? Has anyone actually used one ? Looks divine but challenging to my vegetarianism !

Am currently leaning towards Kelty Kangaroo (that's not me in the photo BTW )

(I have read the sling reviews on MN)

PS - Might get Mountain Buggy Terrain, possibly with Carrycot (almost 1/2 price in the States)... would a sling be another piece of unnecessary baby rubbish (or perhaps that would be the carrycot ????)

Thank you for any feedback.

welshmum Thu 07-Apr-05 12:10:58

Can only offer our own experience - and we didn't try alot of different types before we bought as mates just said 'Here have our Baby Bjorn - it's really good'
Anyway it worked well for me and dh - he used to wear it all the time - might have been because he became a definite baby magnet as soon as he ventured out of the house.
Once dd was about 6 weeks she could face outwards in it too which she loved.
Can I ask you to avoid wearing a flowery material sling as I think it looks very unmanly

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 12:14:43

Busted. Yeah, I'm not really doing this for the baba, only to be a babe magnet.

Don't worry: zero chance of flowery print. Close to zero chance of 'ethnic' print too.

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 12:22:21

yer know, I'm an old mum - from the days when baby paraphernalia was few and far between - so ignore me if you like.

When dd was brand new she was either prammed or simply carried by cradling her in my arms

tbh - and its only my opinion! I don't like to see new babies hanging in front of their parents like a big old handbag.

Mothercare used to do a sling (one of the first ones I think) that was blue canvas and was pleated (the pleats opened out to lay the baby on - and had a shoulder strap and you cradled the baby in it as if you were just carrying it but the weight was taken with the strap - don't know if you can still get them)

Right I'll get back in rocking chair now

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 12:40:51

ARMS - wow - hadn't thought of that JoolsToo. That's an incredible idea. You should patent it.

Agree so much of the stuff out there now is fodder for the gullible. Am trying my best not to be taken for a fool...

But, for example, am finding it hard to resist this, baby and all !!!

welshmum Thu 07-Apr-05 12:45:00

That is very lovely - but just imagine it covered in avocado or lovely brown banana stains - that should put you off.
Slings aren't modern Joolstoo - were around before prams

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 13:20:20

welshmum - you've just spoilt my dreamy-clean sparkly all-white baby dream !

Would you say the same for those lambskin fleeces everyone raves about for inside pram / stroller / car seat ? They are pale white and wooly but would also, I assume, suffer risk of becoming dirty...

Obviously no Bill Amberg Papoose laydees prowling MN at the mo.

Pollyanna Thu 07-Apr-05 13:27:29

WE have got this one - it is very comfortable and my dh doesn't mind wearing it. (also he was once stopped by another man and asked about it, so it must be manly )

Tissy Thu 07-Apr-05 13:32:46

No Idea, but hope you've ordered one of the £300 changing bags

We used a Wilkinet sling, which is suitable from birth to quite large (can't remember the upper weight)can fit small woman and big butch man quite easily, and can be used in various positions (!). Very versatile.

Unfortunately doesn't come in leather with a sheepskin lining.

Issymum Thu 07-Apr-05 13:35:49

Somebody gave us their old Baby Bjorn sling (in a rather fetching I'm-an-ex-hippy faded denim fabric). We used it for both the DDs, they were both really happy in it and I found it reasonably comfortable too. DH didn't use it (he's disabled) but we have male friends who used a Baby Bjorn with their kids. The Baby Bjorn is fine for men, but it does look a bit riddiculous on larger men - the scale is all wrong for them. Sort of like a hairy-arsed trucker carrying a Fendi "baguette" bag.

I was still using the Baby Bjorn when the DDs were 18 months old, but my DDs are lightweight dwarves.

Bramshott Thu 07-Apr-05 13:38:00

In my experience much better for men to carry baby in sling as then the small one is not so close to tantalising smell of milk and tempted to try and burrow through clothing for a snack! We had the mothercare 3-way one which was okay (one-piece), but I think baby-bjorns are probably better.

cod Thu 07-Apr-05 13:38:51

Message withdrawn

cod Thu 07-Apr-05 13:39:20

Message withdrawn

Pamina3 Thu 07-Apr-05 13:40:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hoxtonchick Thu 07-Apr-05 13:42:11

neither dp or i got on with the baby bjorn at all. though they look to be more useful second time round when you're chasing a toddler, judging from friends of mine....

clary Thu 07-Apr-05 13:49:36

I loved my baby bjorn, carried 3 babies till they were 10mo (not all at once lol)
It's fine for newborns, I found they all went to sleep in it so it was breat between feeds.
Very easy to put baby in (I could do it one-handed) and comfortable to wear. It was the only one I tried tbh but I then lent it to my Childminder who had tried several and she said it was the best by far.
Well worth trying several on in a shop I would say, John Lewis were very helpful.

clary Thu 07-Apr-05 13:50:11

sorry that should say great not breat between feeds (obviously got breasts on the brain there)

Issymum Thu 07-Apr-05 13:50:37

You have to spend some time practising with the Baby Bjorn to get really skilled at putting the baby into it and doing it up without dropping the little darling on his/her head. Some friends of ours practised with their cat - but they are Canadian and completely barking and their cat is surprisingly amenable.

alux Thu 07-Apr-05 13:54:09

H2D: I am embarrassed at the amount of links I have compiled on slings so I have put a few here. If you browse these ones, you will come across the others I have not linked. I lean towards lo-tech and economical versions.

Some of these sites have photos of sling users and a few are men looking quite handsome and proud.

I won't link them as it'll be time consuming.

http://www.bigmamaslings.co.uk/make-sling.htm#pouch_sling

www.breastfeedingandbabywearing.co.uk (where I bought my sling rings from.)

http://ellaroo.com/wraparound-instructions.html

http://www.thebabywearer.com/

on top of that, you can follow links and spend, ooooh, days researching slings.

I made a Maya Wrap sling following instructions from one of the sites. Now I just need dd to come along to try it out! My next pet project is to make a tube sling.

I am going for these two as I can see them as being very travel friendly and giving enough ways of using them from birth to toddler.

Bagpuss30 Thu 07-Apr-05 13:59:05

Hoxtonchick, yes, I can vouch for the fact that my Baby Bjorn was almost never used with ds but came into its own 22 months later with dd . Would probably go with Wilkinet if I was buying again though as it wraps round baby and wearer - better than having a baby hanging off your front as JoolsToo says.

alux Thu 07-Apr-05 13:59:38

PS: I have a gene in me that I call 'I CAN DO THAT!' It controls my desire to spend money. DH lacks that gene.

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 14:11:16

Tissy: I ordered two. Of the most expensive ones. In seal fur.

Not. Decided on using existing bags (cost = £0) but maybe getting pretty changing mat covered in flowers... ahhhhh and have just found waterproof nappy bags with little sew in pads upon which you can drop essential oil so all of life will smell sweetly forever.

Issymum: Not that I'm a hairy arsed trucker, but I'm not exactly petite, so will consider that before Bjorning for Britain.

Cod: Thanks for the offer. Does it smell of fish ? (There was a young mum around the other day sounded like she needed loads of baby stuff... on the Wanted thread ? Can't remember... trust it wasn't a scam....) may well take you up on offer as then we've got one to play with / start with / compare others to etc.

dw is not petite so may have similar knockerage problem...

Pamina: Wonder if a more structured sling / baby carrier would suit you better ?

LOL at clary squeezing three babies into one carrier.

PMSL at Issymum's Canadian friends.

alux - thanks for links. I am growing my own collection too. (sigh). Sounds like you need to open a business sewing slings !

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 14:19:00

here's a pouch type - scroll down for piccies - looks quite versatile but perhaps not as trendy as others - depends what you want from your carrier!

cod Thu 07-Apr-05 14:22:49

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Thu 07-Apr-05 14:26:17

Priority:

1) Comfortable for both parents, and doesn't make man look like pretty flower.
2) Can be put on and off alone (doesn't need Rugby Team of assistants).
3) Safe for baby (spine / falling out etc.)
4) Comfortable for baby

Erm... what else ? Allows discrete breastfeeding ? Washable ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now