Talk

Advanced search

"I wish I hadn't bought"....the things you regret you have bought

(100 Posts)
MamanFlo Mon 04-Apr-05 17:39:20

Hello supermums !

Is there things you have bought (or received as a gift) that you profoundly regret ? because it proved either totally useless or not working properly.

A friend was telling me yesterday that her travel system was a total mistake...and that she had to buy a new stroller as soon as her DD was able to sit in one...That's money out of the window...

This thread could prove very useful for anyone looking at the right equipment...

Cheers !

flo

misdee Mon 04-Apr-05 17:42:13

newborn sized clothes. dd2+3 went straight into 0-3month clothes.

mummytosteven Mon 04-Apr-05 17:44:24

any cute outfits or t-shirts in 0 - 3 month size - when they are tiny stick to babygros/leggings/cardies - they hate having things pulled over their heads

bumbo - ds never sat in it for more than 5 minutes at a time

purpleturtle Mon 04-Apr-05 17:44:42

an expensive pack of Avent breastmilk bags with freezer clips etc etc. Never really got the hang of expressing, and if I had, I'm sure I could have sterilised little plastic pots just as effectively

SPARKLER1 Mon 04-Apr-05 17:45:07

There isn't one item in particular but I wish I wasn't so impatient in buying things - especially kids toys that I see advertised on tv etc. I should wait for a few months as the prices always drop considerably - I've noticed this with a few things I've bought recently.

MamanFlo Mon 04-Apr-05 17:45:24

Let's start ...
I wish I hadn't bought a pair of maternity trousers from Next : I was 16 weeks in and started to have difficulties to wear my normal trousers...but this one was definitely too baggy and kept falling down as I was walking...at 30 weeks I dedided to try it again to see if it had improved but NO ! it kept falling off my belly and actually my tighs felt compressed in it (although I had only put a stone at this stage...).
I ended up byuing maternity trousers in France in Natalys and l'Avenue des Bebes for a value around £30 each and never regretted it...if ever you plan a trip to France, look up for these brands...

Merlin Mon 04-Apr-05 17:45:51

Bottle warmer. Should have listened to my mum and stuck with the jug with hot water in!!!!

sacha3taylor Mon 04-Apr-05 17:46:13

A breast pump! After 3 children, I still couldn't use it

Katemum Mon 04-Apr-05 17:48:36

Bottle warmer here too, I saw one for half price and thought it was a bargain. It is still in its box sitting in a cupboard somewhere.

Gwenick Mon 04-Apr-05 17:49:54

ooo have to disagree with the bumbo - I bought one - and admittedly it was only used for a few months. BUT he used it a lot and would sit in it for ages, it was useful for once DS2 was being weaned - but couldn't sit in the highchair yet. LOVED it.

going to sound really odd this - but mine has to be nursing bra's. Spent a fortune on them when I was pg with DS1 - bf him for 14 months - but only used the bra's for a few weeks. HATED them with a passion, so awkward, was much easier just to 'hitch' up my normal bra's

LeoTheLion Mon 04-Apr-05 18:26:13

Travel system.
Wilkinet.
Nursing bras (I'm with you there,Gwenick).
Bulk purchase of baby shampoo (it lasts forever).

dropinthe Mon 04-Apr-05 18:28:37

Jar/bottle warmer.
Huge Mamas and Papas playpen.
Those things you carry babies in on your front-cant remember what they are called but both ds hated them!

Roobie Mon 04-Apr-05 18:30:21

Sangenic nappy wrapper - what a white elephant! The trouble is, for a first time mum, the lure of Mothercare, John Lewis and the baby catalogues etc is too much.

serenity Mon 04-Apr-05 18:33:51

Agree with the Nappy Wrapper, it smelt awful - far easier to drop them straight into the kitchen bin.

LIZS Mon 04-Apr-05 18:35:45

Johnson and Johnson baby products - ds got a rash when I used the bath and never did find a need for the lotion although it smelled good. Maternity dress from Next which I never did grow into and was too hot to wear anyway (jersey).

cupcakes Mon 04-Apr-05 18:45:27

so agree with the J&J products. You feel they are compulsory but they never get used - especially the lotion and baby oil. I still have the bottles from when I had ds (almost 5 years ago) still sitting on the bathroom shelf.
And a top and tail bowl. Why, why, why? How hard is it just to use a normal bowl?

blueteddy Mon 04-Apr-05 19:05:31

I also agree with the nappy wrapper.
It smelt the room out & looked very ugly too!
I did not use it atall with ds2 & found basic nappy bags far better!
Also for me the baby monitor was a waste of money, because we have a small house & could always hear them if they cried, without needing to use a monitor of any kind!
Oh & a big Mamma's & Pappa's pram with fixed wheels.
It cost a fortune & was so heavy and bulky when folded that I had to buy a lightweight buggy by the time ds1 was 5 months old!

anchovies Mon 04-Apr-05 19:08:12

Tonnes of J&J products still hanging around here too!

Agree with lots of the others: bumbo, sling, newborn clothes, nappy wrapper, tonnes of fleece blankets etc

Also for some reason thought I would need lots of cotton buds, bought 4 lots! Haven't even used one yet but DS thinks its hilarious to tip them out onto the floor...

Whizzz Mon 04-Apr-05 19:11:46

Yup - Napper Wrapper here too - waste of space. Just put them in the bin !!

morningpaper Mon 04-Apr-05 19:29:54

I liked my nappy wrapper!

Still got random J&J bottles though - and dd is three this year. And top and tail bowl - lol - that WAS rubbish!

DD never used the cot either - I put her on a mattress on the floor when she was about 9 months. She slept with me before that.

I must have spent £100 on every bottle on the market - but dd never took expressed breastmilk, despite me pumping out litres of the stuff for months on end.

Nimme Mon 04-Apr-05 19:34:39

Electric baby swing - made me queasy looking at it!

lilsmum Mon 04-Apr-05 19:34:48

nappy wrapper here, changing unit (waste of money and space) and travel system

vickiyumyum Mon 04-Apr-05 19:37:04

thing i most regret buying, are the big mamas and papas 3 in 1 pram with all matching accessories with ds1. quickly converted to smaller buggy so that i could lift it and push it easily!
steriliser, as breastfed for 1 year, should have just brought if i needed.
playpen. felt too cruel when put ds in it
sling - gave me a bad back
moses basket - never even used it once ds1 was 10lb 4oz

ambrosia Mon 04-Apr-05 19:37:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 04-Apr-05 19:37:56

Hmmm

My big clumpy Chicco High chair, I wish I'd just got one that fitted on to a normal dining chair.

I got all the expressing stuff and I didn't end up BF.

Those play gym things that baby lies on. Our dog thought it was a great bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now