Talk

Advanced search

Pushchair suggestions for a short new mum who gets the bus a lot

(25 Posts)
AnarchyAunt Wed 21-Jan-09 16:35:36

My lovely cousin is about to have her first baby but has had complications so can't get out and about to choose one herself.

She is quite small, about 5'1, and doesn't drive so its London transport everywhere.

She's after something reasonably light, with either a low or an adjustable handle, preferably a travel system or carseat compatible. And under £200 if at all possible.

I don't do prams so I have no idea if this is realistic but please, any suggestions?

nicolamumof3 Wed 21-Jan-09 17:47:01

i've just bought a zapp and for lightness they are fab, she could use with a maxi cosi as a travel system? the actual zapp is from 6m tho. if she is getting the bus alot i would recommend an umbrella fold if she has to fold the pram on buses otherwise possibly a pliko pramette?

maclaren pushchairs are fab imo the xt best for a newborn.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 21-Jan-09 17:49:48

You don't have to fold on London buses but best to get something with a small 'footprint'.

No idea what's arounf atm though

LeoMcGarry Wed 21-Jan-09 17:57:31

Maclaren Techno XT is good for a newborn as it lies flat and brilliant on buses as easy to fold if needed and small footprint anyway. Has a height adjustable handle and my mum (5'2) hasn't had any problems with it.

The Techno XLR is, I think, carseat compatible.

Both are def under £200. Not as plush as things like Bugaboos but I think would do the job nicely.

nicolamumof3 Wed 21-Jan-09 17:59:28

may find the handle height on xt a prob tho, quest much better but only from 3m.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 21-Jan-09 18:01:16

A sling would be a good idea. I used them until mine almost broke my back , so much easier, then she could get an umbrella fold later.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 21-Jan-09 18:01:59

Oh but why travel system if she doesn't drive?

CarGirl Wed 21-Jan-09 18:05:07

I'm 5'1" and the techno high is too high for me.

Baby City Mini Jogger? Not a travel system but petter to get a car seat that fits their car well and a pushchair that is best suite to public transport rather than compromise on both.

TotalChaos Wed 21-Jan-09 18:09:07

A McLaren. She may actually find she needs high handles rather than short - I'm fairly short - 5ft 2 - and handles that are too low knacker my back. Oh and a sling for as long as possible - London buses are good with buggies but tube is not.

CarGirl Wed 21-Jan-09 18:12:19

Yes a sling for 3 months and then a maclaren quest would be good or perhaps the ryder (not sure if that one is birth or 3 months though)

nicolamumof3 Wed 21-Jan-09 18:13:50

maclaren four seasons would be lovely!!

EldonAve Wed 21-Jan-09 18:30:45

maclaren quest or if she needs the carseat option the xlr

EldonAve Wed 21-Jan-09 18:32:31

quest not from birth though

AnarchyAunt Wed 21-Jan-09 19:02:30

Thanks for all suggestions.

She lives up two flights of stairs, so wants to be able to carry the baby up them in a carseat/carrycot type thing if s/he is asleep when they get home. And will need a carseat to leave hospital, use taxis (I know not compulsory but she would prefer to), have lifts etc.

Have suggested sling for when baby is teeny.

CarGirl Wed 21-Jan-09 19:07:32

mamas & papas luna, the newer version? Car seats aren't great for babies but she could buy something like the phil & ted cocoon or graco cocoon and use them in another buggy to carry baby up stairs. Britax is one of the best universal fit car seats as it has a short belt alternate fitting.

nicolamumof3 Wed 21-Jan-09 19:22:16

yep recommend the luna too, its on sale at m&p i think for £120 so she could afford either the carseat or carrycot too? they are lovely pushchairs.

Pippinella Wed 21-Jan-09 19:45:44

Bebe Confort Streety would be ideal.

onelittlelion Thu 22-Jan-09 08:54:22

A loola or pramette might be good. Or my friend has just got micralite fastfold newborn. It has a carrycot which folds flat for storage and a hammock seat from 6 months. I was really impressed. The new toro looks good too. I have just got a city mini for the bus so will update. It looks like lies pretty flat. I think a quest is great when older but no suspension so i'm not sure if that comfy for a baby. I think xt or 4 seasons would be better. Sorry for ramble hope some help! i have been looking for good bus buggy for ages that is nice to push once off the bus too!

misdee Thu 22-Jan-09 08:56:59

xt is now £195 and xlr is £235

SweetApril Thu 22-Jan-09 10:08:12

Friends of mine (both about 5'4") had:

Pliko Pramette
and
Maclaren Techno XT

They were really happy with their choices and found they were fine on London buses. Pramette person doesn't use the Tube but Maclaren person does and says it's OK. Both are feisty ladies not afraid to get their space on the bus or to ask for help lifting buggies in awkward situations - like when drivers stop about a mile away from the kerb!

Not sure about price but think Maclaren falls into the price bracket (but no car seat option) Don't know price of Pramette or if that has car seat option.

(I use Maclaren Quest when visiting and it's great on Tube and bus although not suitable for babies under six months.)

hettie Thu 22-Jan-09 15:48:50

Hi there,
I have lots of mates who use london buses with 3 wheelers including the Jane and Phil n Teds. I ahve used my moutain buggy no probs- infact it's great having the big wheels to provide a bit of give getting on and off. They all fit- but of course in rush hour/busy times that are a pain to fold and gets kids out of.
TBH though even though Maclaren's are easy to fold and lift up- carrying bubs in one hand, waving your oyster card and carrying shopping/pushchair in other is never easy! grin. So I'd avoid rush hour!
The stairs are more of a pain- I reckon a great solution would be a Maclaren Techno XLR and in addition the Maclaren Techno XLR softcot see here So she could just take the softcot out when bubs is asleep.
I had a lille baby eurotote which you can find here which mean I could carry sleeping ds in and out of puschairs/around the house etc- you can use it with any pushchair. So if she went for another pushchair that didn't have a carrycot then it's like a light weight carrycot. Would very much recomend it, best thing we ever bought

lastboxoftampons Thu 22-Jan-09 15:50:52

I'm sort of in the same position, except I'm slightly taller at 5'4" - I'm considering the Bugaboo Bee, Micralite Toro, Icoo Targo and the Britax Vigour

I'm not sure any are exactly under £200, but most are close and beside the toro, don't require a separate carrycot.

Understand the need for a carseat even though they don't have a car - if we visit family we usually have someone pick us up on other side of train or take a cab, so will need to use a carseat.

dustbuster Thu 22-Jan-09 15:54:35

I love my micralite toro. Really easy to fold, which you have to do on the buses around here. It is lovely to push, unlike many easy folding prams.

I never used it with a car seat, but believe this is possible. TBH, it might be better not to bother with the carrycot, as I found DD grew out of it after 3 months. Perhaps just use sling/carseat for the early bit.

But otherwise I can't recommend it enough. I know lots of people end up buying a McLaren, but I don't think I will ever feel the need as the toro does everything.

hettie Thu 22-Jan-09 15:56:37

Just thought of another good option the
petite star Zia4- light, folds up tiny and has a carrycot option and car seat see here

peachygirl Thu 22-Jan-09 15:57:51

Micralite. The fastfold or toro. I have a fastfold and it is great for London buses and light enough for tube stairs and escalators too.
The handle is completely adjustable and can be oushed with one hand.

I'm 4"11 BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now