Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you do in the summer if you usually wear foundation but want to wear suncreen as well?

(19 Posts)
jodee Sat 02-Apr-05 22:58:28

Sorry for the long title - I have, shall we say, 'problem' skin, so currently use an oil-free moisturiser plus Clinique foundation. I'm not one for sunbathing anyway, but spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer (beach near to us) and don't want to put on moisturiser + sunscreen + foundation + concealer = greasy mess you could fry chips on.

Anyone in the same boat, what do you do? I'm guessing at a tinted moisturiser with a SPF of at least 15, please don't suggest I go completely bare, I'm sure my skin would benefit from being able to "breathe" but it really isn't in the right condition! Helppp.

Steppy1 Sat 02-Apr-05 23:02:25

Clinique's tinted moisturiser with SPF 15 for me, though I'm a bit of a sun worshipper I must admit

WestCountryLass Sat 02-Apr-05 23:03:45

I use Chanel moisuriser with Factor 15 in it

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do;jsessionid=5B3CFD9604C6E1C1E895DC1A4542DE26?id=13969&procid=13&catid=398

tiffini Sat 02-Apr-05 23:03:54

drink at least 4 pints of water a day, do not gulp it down, drink it bit by bit through the day.
after just a few days your skin will look fab, and it will keep getting better.

then you can go bear ( with a little blusher)

it is hard going and boring to start with, but after a month or so you will start to crave water

deeno Sat 02-Apr-05 23:04:35

I use Nivea Sun Spray Factor 30 on my face throughout the year as a moisturiser and a sun screen and then put my foundation on top. My mum read that a Professor/Doctor type person recommended it instead of expensive moisturiser type products. I don't find it greasy at all.

kama Sat 02-Apr-05 23:07:46

Message withdrawn

purplelizzy Sat 02-Apr-05 23:12:32

I use a Body Shop moisturiser with SPFs underneath my foundation. Definitely not oily, I would notice if it was as my skin is naturally quite oily.

sallystrawberry Sat 02-Apr-05 23:13:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

georginars Sat 02-Apr-05 23:18:11

I always have to wear some sort of foundation - I don't want to frighten people. I mix foundation with moisturiser if I think just tinted moisturiser alone isn't going to do the job (also think that my favourite one has been discontinued). This seems to work quite well in the summer and you can vary the proportions. Both can then have SPFs in them

Branster Sat 02-Apr-05 23:42:09

I suggest you decide what is more important to you: protecting your face from the sun for long term benefits or covering your skin up(with foundation or other products).
Most moisturizers and some foundations (I think) do have SPF. But they don't last all day. Therefore only a specific sunscreen cream would provide maximum protection against the sun. And it would have to be re-applied. Bear in mind though, most of them (IMHO) are quite heavy so you really need to clean your skin properly every single evening.

As a compromise I suggest you buy the best night cream you can afford.
During the day use a tinted moisturiser with SPF (the SPF won't last very long anyway but at least you've done something) or day moisturizer with SPF and foundation on top.

Otherwise, no foundation and keep re-applying suncream throughout the day.

Interesting to see in about 20 years time if some research comes out telling us all that sunscreen creams are really bad for our skin because of what they contain.

bobbybob Sun 03-Apr-05 02:17:19

Boots No 7 Tinted Moisturiser is SPF 15 comes in 3 shades and is fabulous. I wear it all the time. It's only about 6.50 a tube which lasts ages.

Other than that I use a SPF Moisturiser (St Ives factor 15) and then normal foundation.

BubblesDeVere Sun 03-Apr-05 10:14:34

jodee, my foundation has spf15. It is purely mineral based and comes in powder form and you can't really tell that you are wearing it, it is quite expensive, but fabulous and worth the money, its made by 'Bare Escentuals'.

motherinferior Sun 03-Apr-05 11:24:07

I would wear a proper facial sunscreen, topped up as necessary, during the day and then make up on top of it as you feel the need.

serenity Sun 03-Apr-05 11:33:46

Before I gave up on looking anything other than harrassed and knackered I used to buy Nivea facial suncream (spf 25 iirc) and use it as a moisturiser mixed with a bit of my usual foundation.

motherinferior Sun 03-Apr-05 11:40:37

Serenity, you look serene!

yep, that's what I'd do.

serenity Sun 03-Apr-05 12:00:22

If only you could see me now..........

Enid Sun 03-Apr-05 12:39:22

for everyday, I use a moisturiser with sunscreen for normal/combo skin and my foundation has a spf of 8 - better than nowt. I use a sun block on my face in very hot sunny weather.

water tip is very good and really does work

jodee Sun 03-Apr-05 18:14:56

Thanks for all these tips, lots to go on.

I really am trying hard with the water, honest! You are right, it does work wonders, I just find myself drinking the right amounts for a couple of days, then slipping back into my old tea and coffee ways!

Branster, I think I want the best of both worlds, I'm annoyed that at 38 I am still having to deal with spots as well as wrinkles (I blame ds, things were never this bad until he came along ). I know I need to wear quite a high factor sunscreen if I go to the beach or sit in the sun, the sun just makes the pigmentation marks on my face worse, which in turn means I need more foundation to cover it up ...)

Conclusion: drink more water!

hoxtonchick Sun 03-Apr-05 18:17:22

i've got a fab dermalogica tinted moisturiser which is spf 15. i also wear a daytime moisturiser which is spf 15 too, though i don't think they add together to spf 30...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now