Talk

Advanced search

Kiddy Infinity Pro top-rated Stage 1 car seat by Which? Anyone got one and do you recommend it?

(69 Posts)
neenztwinz Tue 13-Jan-09 16:24:43

The Kiddy Infinity Pro is Which's top-rated Stage 1 car seat (for 9mth-4yrs). It is German I think. It seems to have an 'impact cushion' which makes it safer than a 5-pt harness in a crash.

Is it easy to use?

Does anyone have one? Would you recommend it?

PuzzleRocks Tue 13-Jan-09 21:25:29

Bumping for you.

vis Wed 14-Jan-09 21:13:08

bump bump bump i am looking to get one , but looking at the pictures not sure how comfortable the impact cushion is...it sort of blocks the child in, a bit oppresive, but see how that would make it more fo a cocoon and safe......

maybe someone living in Germany has got one?

neenztwinz Fri 16-Jan-09 14:19:16

Thanks Vis, not considered that the cushion might be uncomfortable, I thought it looked really cosy!

I am hoping to go and see one next week so will maybe sit my DTs in it to see if they like it!

Babykangaroo Sat 17-Jan-09 15:28:49

I contacted Which about this car seat as I want one but cannot find any stockists. They told me to contact the manufacturers directly. Does anyone else know who will be selling them in the UK?

claireybrations Sat 17-Jan-09 15:37:59

here but I don't know of the stockist

Is the cushion all that holds them in? I'd be worried about DS climbing out

claireybrations Sat 17-Jan-09 15:48:40

Ah ok have found instructions
here

neenztwinz Sat 17-Jan-09 21:47:59

Yeah, Cozybabyz imports them. They are based in Stockport (Manchester). They told me they are getting some in hopefully at the end of the week.

The cushion is held in by the belt so I assume the child couldn't climb out? Wouldn't be very safe if they weren;t secured in..?

chachamum Wed 21-Jan-09 21:04:15

You can also order the car seat directly from Germany, cheaper than UK stockists, even taking into account the poor exchange rate with the euro - I haven't ordered it yet, so can't vouch for it though, have just been looking into it. Here's the website if anyone's interested

http://www.mykiddy.de/advancedsearchresult.php?keywords=kiddy+infinity+pro

chatname Wed 21-Jan-09 21:46:15

Ah! I am a Which member and I noticed this. But Which don't seem to have done a comparison with any rear facing seats. Wouldn't rf be even safer?

Debs1722 Fri 23-Jan-09 15:31:43

Just got mine in the mail. Light (I can lift it easily with one hand - and I'm a wimp according to my DH) Took 2 seconds to fix it securely into the car (without DD in it) I'm hoping to take her for a short ride later this afternoon - will let you know how comfy it was for her and how many hours it took to fit her into it (I KNOW she bends in the middle but will she when I'm strapping her in the car? I think perhaps not!)

beccs Sat 24-Jan-09 09:29:43

Debs1722 - how did it go? how comfy was it for your little one? and how esy to get in and out of?
we've asked Kiddy if anyone else in UK is supplying them but no answer yet (as we would really like to try DD in it first!!)

Umlellala Sat 24-Jan-09 10:02:11

Could a Which member post the top three group 0 and group 0/1 for me, thank you. can't seem to access it online (even to get a subscription). also what are the Do Not Buys? THANK |YOU

Debs1722 Sat 24-Jan-09 12:43:04

Hi, Used my Kiddy infinity pro car seat for the first time with DD in yesterday. Amazingly I had no problems getting her in it (the seats with straps have been a pain cos she wriggles, struggles or goes as stiff as a board - she even once got her arms out half way through a journey)It was dead easy to fix her in it. The only thing is you have to lean over the seat to plug the seat belt in but that's the only thing that's a little tricky (but I've been doing that and more for the past 18 months!) She seemed to enjoy the journey too. I had the radio on and she was tapping along to the music on the top of the cushion.All in all I'd say it is a success and I really can't see her getting herself out of it once she's in.
Umlellala - Which DON't buys are .... Recaro Start , Mamas & Papas Pro-Tour, Chicco Max-3s, Mamas & Papas Teko and Little Shield Combi 123. Best buys in the 0+ group are Maxi Cosi Cabriofix with Easyfix base (82%), Britax BABY-SAFE plus (Isofix)( 81%) and Mothercare Meteor (with base)(79%). Found the Kiddy seat in 'cozybabyz.co,uk' but it looks like it's just a supplier and not a shop that you can go to. Hope that's helpful.

Umlellala Sat 24-Jan-09 23:25:50

Thank you Debs, that's v helpful!

Lib76 Sun 25-Jan-09 15:19:26

about to buy the seat but wanted to know if anyone had a seat leon or vw polo and does it fit easily? cheers

mollysmom Mon 26-Jan-09 22:54:34

I ordered one from cozybabyz and it arrived today. Took 2 weeks to come but told this when I ordered. Tried my 9 month daughter in it today. Seems a bit small in it even though she is correct weight etc. Impact shield does seem a bit clumsy but there were no complaints. Extremely light and easy to use. No chance she could get out of it! Hope this helps!

neenztwinz Fri 30-Jan-09 13:25:03

Which? did do comparisons with RF seats, the best RF seat came out 5/5 for front crash safety but only 3/5 for side impact. Side impact crashes are more common apparently.

Cozybabyz is a shop - I went there on Wed. Unfortunately the seat did not fit securely in my car, it wobbled about loads and touched the buckle when it was in fully upright mode. My DS seemed to like sitting in tho - he was banging on the cushion!

I found securing it a bit tricky. You have to put the seat belt round the cushion, similar to putting infant carriers in with a seat belt, but I have had the easybase so have never used the seat belt. Putting twins in the Kiddy Infinity would have been a real faff. I would have thought it would be better to have isofix fixings and then secure the cushion over the baby some easier way. I am surpised Which gave it good marks for ease of use.

The top stage 1 seats are the Kiddy, the Maxi Cosi Priorifix and I think the next one is the Britax isofix. All the best buys are isofix seats but they can be secured with the seat belt too. The Maxi Cosi Tobi (their stage 1 seat that just uses the seat belt) did not do too well. That's a shame cos two Priorifixes have just cost me £400!

BlondeEagle Sat 31-Jan-09 19:38:15

Hi all

Just posted this on another website but having seen your questions, thought I would copy and paste...!

I have bought this car seat (also on the basis of the Which reviews) and have been using it for my 9 month old son for about 3 weeks now. I have been really happy with it. I was a bit freaked out when it first arrived as it seemed strange not to use the traditional 5 point harness. However, the impact protection cushion keeps my little one securely in his seat (although this has not been tested in a crash, thank goodness!) and he also seems pretty comfortable.

Advantages I would say are that it is very easy to fit, only relies on the car seat belt so would imagine it would fit most cars, lightweight so easy to transfer between cars, 2 positions so baby can be reclined if he wants to sleep (although you have to do this before you put them in the seat), washable covers and has nice head support (and of course excellent safety reviews from Which and the German equivalents). Also, a minor point but we have found it quite handy that we can put our little one in the seat in his Grobag when we have been out for the night - no harness to negotiate and the cushion keeps him warm as well!

The only negative thing I would say is that I can imagine some babies not liking the cushion being held against them so tightly which is imperative for safety - but there are some toys on the cushion for them to play with and my son has not yet complained about it. Also, my son is quite tall but for shorter babies, I think the cushion may not be as comfortable for them as it would come up almost to their chins!

I ordered ours directly from the Kiddy website and it was shipped from Germany. Received good customer service - an email with all shipping details and a link to track the parcel once it was dispatched. It took 7 days to arrive.

Hope this helps!

cozykidz Sun 01-Feb-09 21:46:13

Hello,

Just to inform you that Cozy Babyz is retail shop open to the public. Address: Unit G8B Hallam Mill, Hallam St, Heaviley, Stockport, SK2 6PT, Tel: 0161 477 4588.
www.cozybabyz.com
Email: paul@cozybabyz.co.uk

fizzpops Thu 05-Feb-09 08:44:59

You can also get them from Oliver's babycare where we bought our first carseat from and I can recommend based on that one transaction.

I was looking at this seat as well and there is also a 9mths to 12 years version. An in a bit of a quandary about which to go for. Any thoughts?

Curlz Sat 21-Feb-09 21:57:46

I'm also considering buying this seat so this discussion has been really helpful.

I went into a baby shop in North London today and asked which Group 1 car seat they recommend and they told me about this one.

I can't find it any cheaper than £130 (which seems to be the price everywhere). I checked out the german link that chachamum posted but it is 169 euros which doesn't work out cheaper as its still about £150.

Anyone know where to get it cheaper?

mumagic Sun 22-Feb-09 22:50:00

Hi there, am too looking at this car seat but could anyone who has one tell me what car they have too as I need this to fit across a range of cars:VW Golf/Bora. Fiesta and Honda Accord. Any help will be much appreciated smile

Lib76 Mon 23-Feb-09 20:32:49

Hi I bought the kiddy infinitypro from olivers babycare it was with me the following day. it was fantastic however I sent it back the next day as I had not researched this well enough.

I replaced it, with no quibbles, from Olivers with one called the comfortpro. Its around £45 more but it allows your child to use it from 9 months to 12 years not 9 months to 4 years. Both the seats are absolutely fantastic I could not rave enough about them.

Very quick to move from one car to the next and the comfortpro is brilliant when you pull the rear handle to make it bigger its like a transformer! :-) I have not washed it yet but looks very simple to take apart and it is also made of breathable fabric, DS absolutely loves it as he has very good movement unlike a 5 point harness system. I have never seen another seat which is so washable and also so light. Its great that as they grow up you can get rid of the torso bar and it has an upper attachment to hold the seatbelt.

The only drawback and its a car thing rather than chair, I own a Seat Leon and the seatbelts in that car are too short for when you put the chair in the reclined sleep position (position which I forgot to mention for long journey comfort very smart !!) The chair fits in a Golf and also in a Polo so why does Seat skimp on the length of a seatbelt, it was the same for my silvercross baby seat.

Has anyone found out where you can buy the Kiddy toys yet as I really want some of those but so far I have not seen them for sale in the UK?

Anyway enough of me wittering on about this seat but its just so fantastically engineered, built and designed I just had to go on about it. At first you think thats not going to be secure, but go on their website and watch the video http://www.kiddy.de/gb/company-video
it makes total sence, buy one its a must and for what works out as £16 a year for a car seat is great value no need to buy another one at 4 years old.

I also emailed the company in Germany on several occassions and they are incredibly helpful :-) Go for it your kids will love it!!

Tangle Mon 23-Feb-09 22:34:29

neenztwinz - pls can you let me know which RF seats which tested? And how the higher-rated FF seats did on the side impact test?

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now