Talk

Advanced search

What do you store your kids toys in/on?

(13 Posts)
jennifersofia Thu 31-Mar-05 21:51:48

The ever increasing pile in the living room is getting me down but I need some ideas. Maybe some sort of shelving with pull out basket type things? What do you do? Links anyone?

Ameriscot2005 Thu 31-Mar-05 21:54:21

We have several IKEA plastic crates on wheels that live under the beds. We also have a lot of Sainsbury's baskets (bought for 50p each when they first came out). We don't have anything that is "living room quality".

paolosgirl Thu 31-Mar-05 21:59:20

I've got one of these shelving things from Ikea - they are beech, and the baskets are plastic. When I bought them, they came in green, blue and clear. They're fantastic - you just shove everything in and forget about the mess.

paolosgirl Thu 31-Mar-05 22:00:06

Should add - they are for the kids bedrooms - not sure if you would like them in you living room.

helsi Thu 31-Mar-05 22:00:39

plastic shelves from B&Q with various coloured baskets and large tubs from Toys R us. Oh and als a large lidded crate with wheels from Wilkinsons.

moondog Thu 31-Mar-05 22:04:16

Ikea do do reasonable shelves that you could slot wicker baskets in for living areas. Very acceptable.
I got someone to make me a box on castors (like they have in libraries) for books which is great. They don't drag 'em all out at once. Urchin do them too, but dead easy to make (says she, expert carpenter lol!!)

Easiest way to keep control...bring out a few at a time and rotate every few days. Boring but worth it,and they enjoy and appreciate their toys far more.

lavenderrr Thu 31-Mar-05 22:07:37

we've got a few of those plastic boxes you can buy from most DIY stores, they go in the wardrobe, ds has shelves inbuilt into his wardrobe (already there when we moved in) and I bought dd a pink shelving system from Argos for £14.99, it has runners along the bottom so you can whell it around, has 3 shelves that that you can fill with heavy stuff like jigsaws and games, skipping ropes etc at the bottom, magazines in the middle, and her girly makeuppy stuff on the top shelf...her room still manages to be a mess, she and ds also have a bookcase each for their books and little nicknacks and a desk for paper, pens, rubbers etc and dd has a bed side cabinet to put her lamp on and store cd's in.

dot1 Fri 01-Apr-05 12:48:56

I bought a couple of wicker basket/chest type things for our lounge the other week, to replace the brightly coloured plastic boxes that were annoying me - but dp hates them! But I can't stand toy clutter and to me the plastic boxes we did have were almost as bad - kind of screamed MESS to me in our very small lounge..!!

actualisedad Fri 01-Apr-05 12:52:07

We find the ever-increasing pile in the dining room pretty effective at controlling the ever-increasing pile in the living room

cod Fri 01-Apr-05 12:52:47

Message withdrawn

LIZS Fri 01-Apr-05 12:55:46

We have an ikea pine stepped unit with plastic drawers to contain Lego, Playmobil etc and wooden boxes and baskets for dd's room. Also have stuff permanently out in the playroom so don't know how we will accommodate it all in a smaller house !

GhostofNatt Fri 01-Apr-05 12:56:52

Thinking of storing some in the bin

jennifersofia Fri 01-Apr-05 22:27:05

Thanks everyone - will have to go and have a look at Ikea and maybe Urchin...(and work out how to pay for it!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: