Talk

Advanced search

washing machine stinks

(9 Posts)
winnie01 Thu 08-Jan-09 10:20:02

please help washing machine smells horrid

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:21:25

Put a couple of scoops of bicarb in there and run a wash cycle while it's empty of clothes.

nancy75 Thu 08-Jan-09 10:21:35

does the drawer that the powder goes in need cleaning? they can get abit gungey with all theold powder, take it out and give it a scrub, also wipe out the rubber bit around the door

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:28:58

oh, and clean out the filter

winnie01 Thu 08-Jan-09 10:32:19

thank you will try all of these

Lionstar Thu 08-Jan-09 10:37:16

Is it connected to your sink plumbing? Our washing machine when emptying used to 'belch' so that air was push back up the pipes and came out the plugholes. So the bad smell we had was actually smelly pipes/u-bend. The problem was fixed when we cleaned the u-bend and de-gunged the pipes. All the other ideas are worth trying too though.

winnie01 Fri 09-Jan-09 14:17:43

thanks

johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Jan-09 14:40:07

I got an engineer out to our smelly machine. He didn't even TOUCH the machine, let alone fix it. He told us like the above about smelly pipes, he said get your husband to pull it out & have a look at the pipes! He also recommened putting the machine through a 90 degree wash on empty once in a while, because, as he so nicely put it, the everyday 30 /40 degree wash doesn't get rid of the yukky skin cells that come off the clothes shock
After one of these washes - smell gone I am glad to say.
Hope you get yours sorted soon as it really is a horrible smell isn't it.

midnightexpress Fri 09-Jan-09 14:43:14

I've sorted this out, (with help from MN) by washing once a month at 90 degrees with machine empty. I use a mixture of washing powder and soda crystals for this. And I also now leave the door open between washes.

I have also switched from liquid detergent to powder and soda crystals, which are cheaper and apparently don't gunge up your pipes so much.

Oh, and you can put the powder drawer in the dishwasher to give it a good once-over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now