Talk

Advanced search

Car seat full of puke - HELP!!!

(12 Posts)
fee77 Wed 30-Mar-05 12:20:06

DD decided to bring up all her ready break and the full 8oz of milk half way round the m25 this morning.

She is now bathed, dressed and in bed and seems fine by the way! The problem is the car seat - britax renaissance - i have found out the booklet, removed the cover etc but due to the sheer quantity of vom, the "foot" was full. I can't see any way to clean it. Can i just flush it out?

Do i have to drive round smelling like sleezy nightclub toilets for ever?

Please help - at the moment i am struggling between selling the car or selling dd!!!

tiffini Wed 30-Mar-05 12:26:31

washing with baking soda will get rid of the smell.

jolou1 Wed 30-Mar-05 12:29:26

Strip as much of the seat down as possible, stick it outside in the garden and blast it with a hosepipe. That will remove the, er, lumpy bits which might get stuck in the nooks and crannies.

gingerbear Wed 30-Mar-05 12:31:30

I have the same car seat. The cover will wash fine, The 'foot', I hosed it down in the garden and left it upside down to dry. Then used fabreeze spray and wiped off with soft cloth.

TinyGang Wed 30-Mar-05 12:32:03

Just trying to think what you mean by 'foot'..The moulded plastic underneath has got sick in all the nooks and crannies?

If so, I'd get a hosepipie onto it before the sick dries (ready brek is hard to shift once once it's dried) and leave the chair and straps to dry off completely before putting the cover back on.

fisil Wed 30-Mar-05 12:33:43

ds did this in his brand new car seat - first outing. I seem to remember that it still stank after all of these suggestions, so we just had a banana and sour milk flavoured car for a while.

throckenholt Wed 30-Mar-05 12:34:29

we had this on holiday last week (3 throwing up sessions from 2 kids in rapid sucession - lovely).

We stripped them all down, and washed the covers. But found we couldn't get the straps off. We scrubbed them well, left them out over night but they still stank.

We got some fabric conditioner - something like this

http://www.tide.com/products/read.jhtml?productId=31

After 2 lots of spraying and letting dry the smell had pretty much gone.

TinyGang Wed 30-Mar-05 12:41:41

But this just brings me back to my age old moan with baby equipment.

Babies and young children just are sticky and and prone to chucking up on things. Why the hell can't they make car seats and pushchairs etc easier to dismantle and keep clean. We've thankfully just waved goodbye to the car seats now the children are bigger, but it always drove me mad tring to get the covers off and un-thread/re-thread the straps.

throckenholt Wed 30-Mar-05 12:44:23

we have britax eclipse seats and were really swearing about trying to get the covers off (covered in puke) - a real pig of a job.

The little ones were fine (often washed the covers because of nappy leaks ), but the ones for toddlers and above are a pain in the neck.

fee77 Wed 30-Mar-05 12:47:57

Thanks for the advice - i suppose now i have had my tea and biccy i should tackle it. She couldn't do this when she was out with daddy could she!!
What would i do without mums net
Thanks again

SoupDragon Wed 30-Mar-05 13:51:08

I found it easy to get the sick out of everything except the s*dding buckle. Delightful.

fee77 Thu 31-Mar-05 14:06:45

Wow - would recommend the britax rennaicance. It might be grim tipping the sick out of it, but at least the car doesn't smell of puke!!!
Dd much better today - i suppose i should get used to cleaning up sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now