Talk

Advanced search

Alright, so I'm obssessed about my new pushchair.....

(32 Posts)
HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 14:21:45

but what on earth are those little spikes of rubber sticking out from the wheels? They're normal tyre type wheels (even have a valve on like you get on car tyres) but there are little tiny fine spikes sticking up all way round, they're really flimsy and can't be for grip as they squash flat as soon as they're wheeled over. So what on earth are they for?

Metatron Wed 07-Jan-09 14:26:36

a remmant from manufacturing.

Dropdeadfred Wed 07-Jan-09 14:30:20

they will wear off very quickly

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 14:30:56

Oh I seeeeee, I thought they had some cool gripping capabilities! Dur!

MrsBadger Wed 07-Jan-09 14:35:18

same as you get on new bike tyres

AnAngelWithin Wed 07-Jan-09 14:43:54

they soon wear off. what pushchair have you bought??

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 14:51:20

Phil and Teds sport. It's a shame they go, I quite like my spikey wheels!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 07-Jan-09 14:53:32

Love the P&T sport. Mine is nine weeks old, used every day and no sign of the bobbles wearing off yet though grin

It's from where the rubber is injected into the mould.

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 14:58:54

We've had to upgrade from the Bebeconfort Loola as we couldn't do up the harness with ds' coat on. He's not particularly big, but I guess French babies are teeny (going by French baby clothes anyway) and we can't not have him done up in the harness as his party trick is to leap out of his pushchair and dash off regardless of busy traffic/water hazards/precipitous cliffs nearby!

We don't use it every day as ds is at the cm 3 days a week, so mayby my spikey bits will last a little longer

UmSami Wed 07-Jan-09 15:26:19

Love the P&T sport too...appart from the harness that is, which takes so long to fasten, and my 2.9 so little time to unfasten LOL...HeadFairy you'd better stay away from cliffs!
Happy to report that my spikey bits are holding steady at 9 weeks too...i'm very impressed by their resiliance...I too, like them...gives me a new pushchair feeling grin
Oh can I add...yes I'm obsessed too...got a sheepskin from M&P instead of the carrycot bit (forgot what its called)...it's fab...super snuggly for my very long 9 weeker who'd have been squished in the carry cot sorry, truly obsessed!

poppy34 Wed 07-Jan-09 15:27:46

is it very heavy out of interest?

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 15:30:43

I haven't pushed it around yet poppy. It's standing in my hallway all shiney and new and I'm sitting at working feeling miffed I can't get out with it (never mind about ds )

oh don't say that about the harness UmSami, they looked so nice and generous I was looking forward to being able to have ds in his nice big thick coat in there without worrying about his kamakazi like leaps from the pushchair!

poppy34 Wed 07-Jan-09 15:34:34

I have this image of you worshipping it now wink

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 15:45:27

with candles and flowery offerings all around

poppy34 Wed 07-Jan-09 15:48:25

don't drip the wax on it...

nicolamumof3 Wed 07-Jan-09 16:25:44

love my p&t! mine still has spikes on and 4months old. heavy to lift in and out of car (but i don't drive!) but lovely to push either single or in doubles. harness straps i've had no probs with masses of room to go even for my chunky 18m old!

UmSami Wed 07-Jan-09 16:41:51

Size wise harness is fab...my son, 2.9 has plenty of room to spare...he is thin but he's very long in the body so up and over shoulders is always an issue...he's also older than your little cherub (i'm guessing) hence more troublesome with harnesses, but also at an age where you can begin to reason...don't wory too soon, sorry to put a downer on it before-just thought I should warn you...on an up note; the 4 clips do give you a little opportunity to put a stop to escape plans!
Now I'm off to make offers of flowers to my P&T...feel I may be neglecting it some what after reading earlier posts...skulk off feeling guilty, hoping RSPCP&T don't come a knocking!

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 16:57:55

No wax will be dripped, no food dropped, nor dirty feet placed on it's pristine-ness... ds will have to take his shoes off before he gets in

Glad to hear I've got a few more months before I have to start gaffa taping him in umsami! He's never worked out the clasp on the Bebe Confort and they're quite stiff anyway, but that's no guarantee!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 07-Jan-09 17:10:35

poppy, it is *very#8 easy to push, even with a toddler on board. and really easy to go up and down kerbs, unlike most twin buggies.

Mine has shock chocolate on the hood. Whod've thunk two chocolate buttons would make so much mess!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 07-Jan-09 17:11:16

I let DD ride in her slippers and change her into shoes or wellies when we get where we are going grin

poppy34 Wed 07-Jan-09 17:50:16

mm that sounds promising - we've got steps to front door so need to think if its feasible to carry it without needign to get muscles like geoff capes first

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 18:05:27

the wheels look really big and the tyres are quite bouncy so I'm thinking that it might just bounce quite easily up and down your steps poppy!

LackaDAISY I'll be banning all food stuffs from our new P&Ts, ds will have to take off all outdoor clothing and wash his hands

poppy34 Wed 07-Jan-09 18:08:15

headfairy... I love hte way you say "wheels look'..are you still there with the flowers and candles? wink

poppy34 Wed 07-Jan-09 18:08:57

and why not buy ds something a bit like driving gloves for wearing in the P&T so he doesn't dirty it -maybe some of those cotton ones that museum curators use

HeadFairy Wed 07-Jan-09 18:12:17

PMSL I'm not sitting in my living room in a prone position worshipping my pushchair, although I'd like to be. I'm at work, so at least 5 miles from said pushchair, however as I hastily assembled it this morning I did give the wheels a good bounce about in the living room thinking kerbs would be a doddle with that amount of bounce!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: