Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find compact, easy to push buggy for heavy 2 year old

(43 Posts)
accessorizequeen Sat 03-Jan-09 21:35:46

We are currently using a graco citisport for ds2 and it's killing me pushing him on the school run as I am still recovering from spd. My mum also uses it and is having trouble too. I'm dreading just taking him anywhere now because it's hurting me but he only started walking at 17 months, just can't make it to the school or the local shops.

I just want something fairly compact as we have a double mountain buggy already for the dt's, relatively easy to fold & stick in the car to take to my mum's house and most of all easy to push so preferably bigger tyres than the citisport. Have looked at the graco Expedition but don't think I can manage with fixed wheel, would drive me crazy. I wanted to buy secondhand as we only need it for under a year really and have two double buggies already! blush

Suggestions please??!!!

accessorizequeen Sat 03-Jan-09 21:37:08

Forgot to say air tyres would be the best but everything seems to be very big and/or very expensive. Quinny speedi seems to get slammed because of the seat position, otherwise seemed a good option.

CarGirl Sat 03-Jan-09 21:38:19

Hmmmm single nipper 360

CarGirl Sat 03-Jan-09 21:39:13

baby jogger mini city should be okay, seat def big enough and light to push but obv smallish wheels.

bran Sat 03-Jan-09 21:41:02

I used a Mothercare Citilite (essentially the same as a Citisport) with DS and had to stop using it before he was two. It's great for little ones but difficult to manage when they're older. I never did find a good lightweight buggy for an older child, I used a Maclaren Volo for DS but I wasn't ever truly happy with it. Perhaps the large wheeled Maclaren (the Techno I think) would suit you. There ought to be plenty available second-hand.

nappyaddict Sat 03-Jan-09 21:41:07

couple of people selling 3 wheelers here

bran Sat 03-Jan-09 21:42:49

I'm drooling over the Mountain Buggy Swift for my next child, but obviously that isn't cheap nor available second-hand, and it's probably on compact in comparison to the full-size MB and not compared to a Citisport.

accessorizequeen Sat 03-Jan-09 21:45:14

I have a baby jogger city mini double and it's great, but too expensive to buy 2nd hand I think. Can't find any nippers 2nd hand at all, otherwise a good option thanks cargirl. I don't want to spend much as it's only short-term & can't be used for the dt's for obvious reasons! I hadn't considered a techno, bran, will have a look, I had a quest years ago but only used it until ds1 was 1 I think.

Did consider a p&t which could also use for the twins, but they seem a bit bulky and heavy to fold?

accessorizequeen Sat 03-Jan-09 21:46:01

Sadly we had an MB urban but sold it to fund a double sad

CarGirl Sat 03-Jan-09 21:48:50

I'm selling my BJ city mini, bought it & haven't used as dd now walks everywhere. No raincover I'm afraid. I was wanting £85 plus post, you could prob sell it on afterwards and get some money back or use it with a buggy board on for your dt?

Diva0507 Sat 03-Jan-09 21:52:11

bran, im too drooling for swift.wink
got to sell urban and buy it, if i got to have it.
aq, not much help as im mb lover now. mis new micralite got bigger seat|?

TotalChaos Sat 03-Jan-09 21:54:04

I'ld say a McLaren of some description. If you do go for a 3 wheeler, don't get one with a fixed front wheel, they are a nightmare to steer.

accessorizequeen Sat 03-Jan-09 21:58:16

did consider micralite but fastfold looks too small and toro too expensive.

would maclaren or baby jogger actually be easier to push, the wheels look no different to the graco I have already? Tempted by baby jogger, car girl but was thinking of £60 tops really, dp will kill me for buying another buggy I think, just told me we're meant to be saving not spending but then he doesn't do the school run does he?

CarGirl Sat 03-Jan-09 22:00:47

I think the baby jogger would be because it's a 3 wheeler - I could only push 3 wheelers when I had spd. big advantage of it as that he won't grow out of it like he could a maclaren.

Tell him it was a bargain!

Last thing you want to do is aggrevate your spd.

Diva0507 Sat 03-Jan-09 22:38:19

yes fastfold seat is tiny. is toro expensive second hand. nipper? may be cheaper and lighter to push?|

elmoandella Sun 04-Jan-09 09:42:34

my friend is trying to shift a urban detail in onyx design if thats any interest

will be cheapand in immaculate condition

tonino.crolla@btinternet.com

accessorizequeen Sun 04-Jan-09 20:38:38

I think the urbans are too big really for what I'm looking for Elmo, thanks, quite heavy to shift into the car.
I am thinking about the city mini, car girl but Argo is doing them new for £95 I noticed & I have £30 to spend there so could fudge it with dp. You're prob.right about 3 wheels being easier, I find the turning the hardest, can feel my hips aching with the citisport.

accessorizequeen Sun 04-Jan-09 20:38:58

Argos, that is grin

AccidentalMum Sun 04-Jan-09 20:41:39

Micralite FF seat is actually fine for a big child, they just push the fabric aside, but not as would cause discomfort. So worth checking out as it feels weightless with my 3.5 year old in compared to even big 3 wheelers, let only when compared to a buggy of its weight and size.

CarGirl Mon 05-Jan-09 13:32:39

That's fine, hope you get one, the pram addicts rave about them so they must be good x

nappyaddict Wed 07-Jan-09 16:24:45

What about a luna, presto xl or maclaren techno? I only have experience of the luna though so someone else will have to tell you if the other 2 are any good with a heavy toddler.

accessorizequeen Wed 07-Jan-09 20:01:18

They all seem to have pretty small wheels and don't think they'd push any better on bumpy pavement than my graco tbh, but thanks NA.
I saw a microlite today and the seat seemed absolutely tiny, not quite sure what you mean about the fabric AM? It did seem great in every other respect though, loved the look of it and really compact to fold I think?

ThePregnantHedgeWitch Wed 07-Jan-09 22:55:07

Message withdrawn

accessorizequeen Thu 08-Jan-09 22:20:06

Thanks HedgeWitch, but I think the wheels are just too small on the maclarens to be comfortable to push on the rough pavements round here, they're same size as the graco I have.

Anyone know of or have a Hauck Roadster XL as it seems to really fit the bill?

nappyaddict Fri 09-Jan-09 10:14:38

But maclarens are lighter than gracos so you would be pushing less weight iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now