Talk

Advanced search

Ikea £30 cot

(24 Posts)
SnowballsintheSky Sat 27-Dec-08 22:14:25

This one

Does anyone have it? DD is still in our bed. I sort of don't mind but really I'd prefer she was in her cot. She's never slept in her cot bed, she has only ever slept in a travel cot in our room but I can't hold her hand etc through a travel cot so I wondered about getting this for our room to train her out of our bed.

Is it solid enough to withstand a lively 11 month old?

Yurtgirl Sat 27-Dec-08 22:19:40

No personal experience of that cot - I suspect it isnt terribly sturdy though

What about one from free cycle or the local paper?

AnarchyInAManger Sat 27-Dec-08 22:21:28

We had this and it was fine. Sturdier than you'd think, though it hasn't got drop sides so bear that in mind.

FromGirders Sat 27-Dec-08 22:24:16

M&D had this at their house instead of a travel cot. You have to lean in over the side, but it was OK. Fairly sturdy, might not last years, but has done us for two kids for regular visits, and is now being handed on to another baby.

foxinsocks Sat 27-Dec-08 22:24:49

yes we had that one too (or whatever it was called 7 years ago...exactly the same one). Ds loved his so much, he was in it for years. Right up until he needed a bed so was probably 2ish. He had broken the base by then but if it can stand a 2 year old doing hurdles over it and jumping up and down like a lunatic (and his older sister joining in!), it'll probably be ok for a 11 month old!

It's quite small though...(that's why we liked it). And don't forget to get the mattress with it because you won't find another that fits it I don't think!

SnowballsintheSky Sat 27-Dec-08 22:25:43

I thought about Freecycle but I don't like the idea that I would be taking something from someone who could really use it, IYSWIM. I just want something that I can see through and can touch her through, which is obviously not possible with the travel cot. She might be better if she can see me through properly.

theinsider Sat 27-Dec-08 22:26:11

I had it, when it was 27 quid. But mine was in it from birth.

It was more of a way of putting off spending the money on a proper one. He went into a "proper" cotbed at 18 months when DD was due, but he well ready for it in terms of size. TBH I can't see you'd manage to get away with going straight from that to a bed without ever having to buy a bigger cot/cotbed.

Though, having said that, yes it was great, also, with a newborn (though they were in a moses basket until 10 weeks or so til they grew out of that too) they seemed tiny in that, so they must seem even more lost in a big one. I think they may appreciate the slightly more enclosed feel than being lost in a massive big cot.

But I've gone on a bit blush sorry. To answer your question, yes it was perfectly sturdy enough, it would be the space thing which would become an issue.

I have 3 dc now and really feel people spend amazing money on cots and nursery furniture - it's not a sign of how much you love your baby.

MatNanPlusTINSEL Sat 27-Dec-08 22:27:24

used 1 and it was fine, don't forget that is just for the cot, the mattress is another £13-26.

AnarchyInAManger Sat 27-Dec-08 22:27:41

Well, ours coped with DD for 2 yrs (mostly jumping/wriggling in it - she preferred to do the sleeping in my bed grin) and then my friend's DD for 2 years, and is now about to go to its third home!

SnowballsintheSky Sat 27-Dec-08 22:27:59

See me properly, not see through me! Although I suspect she can do that too Luckily, the mattress is the same size as the one I bought for the travel cot - that's an odd size too

solidgoldstuffingballs Sat 27-Dec-08 22:28:09

I am pretty sure that's the one DS had. He was in it from about 4wks old till 3.4, and it was still in good enough condition to Ebay for a tenner. It's a nice, simple, sturdy cot and that variable-height mattress is great.

AnarchyInAManger Sat 27-Dec-08 22:29:27

DD just went straight into her own bed at two - a normal single bed with bedrail.

Cotbeds are waste of money IMO. Better with cheap cot and then normal size bed.

theinsider Sat 27-Dec-08 22:31:01

Actually DD did go straight from this cot to a bed at 19 months.

SnowballsintheSky Sat 27-Dec-08 22:32:04

She has a massive bugger of a cotbed (PFB!) but we tried going from our bed to her cotbed in her room and it was too much too soon, she screamed blue murder all night! hmm so this is a halfway step.

theinsider Sat 27-Dec-08 22:32:13

The cost of some cots and cotbeds, you can try this first, if you don't like it you've only added a few percent onto the total amount you've spent but you may end up saving hundreds.

theinsider Sat 27-Dec-08 22:33:15

sorry, xpost.

It's a great halfway step, go for it smile

foxinsocks Sat 27-Dec-08 22:33:38

yes I feel quite sentimental about that cot tbh

it was lovely and cosy for a baby because it is quite small and I think some babies like that

SnowballsintheSky Sat 27-Dec-08 22:37:05

LOL, I really wish I had been a MNetter before I started buying. I have a huge cotbed (unused), a massive travel system, (which I love, but still...) and a silly padded high chair. I could have had this, a Maclaren and an Antilop in the first place and been about two grand richer hmm

AnarchyInAManger Sat 27-Dec-08 22:42:37

Yep grin

Minimalist is the way to go IME. We were v v broke when DD was born so hardly had any expensive big things, and at first I used to read baby magazines and weep.

But then as she got older and I saw our friend's nappy wrappers/cotbeds/enormous highchairs that looked like seats from a racing car just languishing, I started to feel a little, well, better about our cheap basic stuff.

I don't think the babies care that much either tbh.

snorris Sat 27-Dec-08 22:45:51

I've got an Ikea cot similar to this. It's 13 years old and on the 5th baby to sleep in it . Not sure what the Ikea mattresses are like but I bought the most recent one from Boots online.

MatNanPlusTINSEL Sat 27-Dec-08 22:49:45

WOW Snorris you have more than had your money's worth.

snorris Sat 27-Dec-08 22:52:29

Something to be said for being a cheapskate wink.

MrsMcClaus Sun 28-Dec-08 22:02:54

I have this one, it's great in my opinion. My DS is 11 months old too and has been sleeping in it for 7 months now smile

MrsMcClaus Sun 28-Dec-08 22:06:21

Should have said, I got the mattress from Ikea too and it was more expensive than the cot I think but I wanted a proper sprung mattress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now