Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone help with quilts and which tog please

(35 Posts)
Base Fri 26-Dec-08 15:29:44

I need a lighter quilt than the one we have as I think its making me too hot at night and is irrating my excema.

I'm not sure what tog our quilt is but I knows it made of down. Can anyone recommend a lighter quilt which is good quality? And what tog I should get

SleighGirl Fri 26-Dec-08 15:39:42

4ish tog is the coolest and 13 tog is generally the warmest.

I'd go for a 8 or 10 tog. I have to use synthetic as I have allergies to feathers!

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 15:50:14

Thanks, I've ordered a 10.5 tog, I went for polyester in case the down is irritating me as well smile

SleighGirl Fri 26-Dec-08 15:50:53

You don't have your heating on at night do you?

MatNanPlusTINSEL Fri 26-Dec-08 15:53:59

Base is there a filling weight on the label of your current quilt?

Here is an idea of weight per square meter and Tog value :

4.5 tog = 375g
10.5 tog = 490g
13.5 tog = 575g

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 15:58:37

No but we'e just moved in and this house is so hot. Its got loft insulation and cavity wall insulation and the bedrooms seem to retain any heat. There is no knob on the radiator so I cant turn the thing off, which I would love to do as I think it would solve all my problems.

No matter what the weather I'm sleeping with the window open, which is annoying dh.

I'm so sore this morning from scratching myself to death last night, I have to try to do something - anything!

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 16:01:18

I've just checked natmanplus and our current quilt is 13.5. I hope the 10.5 one I've ordered is light enough, maybe I should have gone for the 7.5

foxinsocks Fri 26-Dec-08 16:01:42

I imagine the down will be irritating you....the hypoallergenic duvets seem to keep you cooler anyway (and are lighter too which I think helps...they aren't pushing down on your skin so much iyswim).

Have you got cotton sheets?

The other thing that made a difference to all the eczema sufferers in this house was when we finally got rid of the carpets! But I know that's a fairly drastic step!

SleighGirl Fri 26-Dec-08 16:02:39

What about a central control on the central heating, turn it off at 9.30pm and not come on again until 7ish or something like that?

MatNanPlusTINSEL Fri 26-Dec-08 16:06:18

You might be better with a 9.0 Tog.

Is there a slot type stem at one end of the rediator? you could turn this to reduce heat/turn of red in bedroom.

SleighGirl Fri 26-Dec-08 16:08:39

I've got house mite allergy and have to have anti allergy bedding protectors on everything makes us so hot we have 4 tog year around and no radiator on!!!

I agree with getting rid of as much carpeting & soft furnishings as possible has made a huge difference here.

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 16:12:43

We havent got cotton sheets, that is a really good idea though, I'll order some as well and change the tog for a 8/9 instead.

What hae you got instead of carpet foxinsocks. We have no carpet downstairs, only upstairs and on the stairs themselves.

I tend just to turn the heating on when we need it and then turn it off after and hour or so, the house gets and stays so hot that it doesnt need to be on a lot. I never put it on after 7pm.

We have a metal screw on the radiator but you cant turn it.

SleighGirl Fri 26-Dec-08 16:15:09

we have laminate in the bedroom but we do have carpet on the landing and in one of the childrens bedrooms to reduce the noise!

Wierd about the radiator! Can you turn the temp down of the water that fills the radiators IYSWIM? What type of heating system have you got?

Alternatively leave you bedroom window open?

ChasingSquirrels Fri 26-Dec-08 16:16:37

I have one that comes with a 4.5 and a 9(ish) that join together.
4.5 - summer
9 - srping/autumn
together - winter.
We only used the 4.5 unless it was really cold, and then used the 9. Never used them together in this house (though have in the past in colder houses).
Since I split up with ex I am colder at night - presumably due to less body heat to be retained? - so I also have a 4.5 single lengthwise across the bed - which I find works really well.

foxinsocks Fri 26-Dec-08 16:17:42

both dh and I get eczema (as do the children). I get it v mildly but dh gets it v severely (as does dd).

We got rid of the carpet upstairs this year and put laminate down instead (downstairs we did laminate in some rooms and tiles in others). I was worried about it looking 'cheap' but the stuff we've chosen seems to really look the part (it looks like oak flooring).

It's amazing what a difference it makes. It's hard to know if that's the only reason but both dh and dd have been a lot better since it happened This place is v old and we hadn't replaced the carpets since we moved in (and the bloke before never looked after this place properly) so I suspect the carpets were v v disgusting!

The other thing that makes a difference at night is the washing powder you use for the sheets etc. Although you've probably always used the same one so that might not be it!

foxinsocks Fri 26-Dec-08 16:21:19

hope something works Base. Is very annoying being woken up by eczema you poor thing.

SleighGirl Fri 26-Dec-08 16:21:46

I wonder if you may have house dust mite allergy, it's very common if you have eczema. Frequent bed washing helps a lot with that too.

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 16:28:58

"Can you turn the temp down of the water that fills the radiators IYSWIM? What type of heating system ow very tempted thave you got?

Intresting idea - I wonder if I look at my boiler if there is a switch or something. This is an ex council house so presumably the radiators and boilers are what they installed, it doesnt look new. Its just gas central heating.

I am now very tempted to get rid of my carpets, I've just read Fox.s last post to dh and he agrees that when we have some money it will be a good idea.

I use Fairy washing tablets which I've always used.

Just ordered some cotton sheets and a 4.5 tog duvet - poor dh, Better buy him some nice warm pjs as well!

MatNanPlusTINSEL Fri 26-Dec-08 16:33:33

We have laminate and tile and it has made a big difference to my itching and is a dream to clean.

pantomimEDAMe Fri 26-Dec-08 16:38:22

Base, lots of people react to Fairy. Try changing it!

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 16:41:56

What could I change it to? What seems to be the best one for excema?

pantomimEDAMe Fri 26-Dec-08 16:47:52

I don't think there's one miracle powder/liquid - like anything with eczema, it's trial and error as to what suits any one person (and then you use it happily for ages only to eventually start reacting to it....).

It's just that loads of people IRL and on here seem to react to Fairy. Including dh and ds. I suspect we've all been conned by those washing up liquid ads about how mild Fairy is, only the washing powder isn't!

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 16:56:40

I didn't realise you could just start reacting something which had previously been fine.

I'm very nervous about changing it but think it could be a good thing to try

Base Fri 26-Dec-08 16:57:31

Dh suggests Persil so fingers crossed!

MatNanPlusTINSEL Fri 26-Dec-08 17:08:34

I found bio better than softer non bio - go figure, tho i do an extra rinse/fast spin and no conditioner just a splash of white vinegar instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now