Talk

Advanced search

Giant inflatable pools - are they much cop?

(28 Posts)
handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 21:38:54

I've been feeling all summery (plus my ADs have kicked in so full of the joys of spring - if not overflowing) and have been looking at these:

come on in the water is luvvverly

Hope my link works - am living dangerously and haven't checked it.

Anyone got any experience of these large inflatable pools. Are they easy to put up and maintain? I'm slightly put off by the product description which says that they come with an instruction video (am thinking that if there is an instruction video it must be complicated). Don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Do you think these would be safe given that I have a 2.8 year old and nearly 1 year old. They do come with a lid....

nnosam Thu 24-Mar-05 21:40:41

its the sort of pool they use for try diving at boat/water sports shows. so they must be good.

blueteddy Thu 24-Mar-05 21:44:20

Don't know much about how good they are, but they have a slightly smaller one on the D&A website for half price. £49.99 rather than £99.99!

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 21:46:08

I'll have a look at that blueteddy. The GLT one is £249!

blueteddy Thu 24-Mar-05 21:49:02

Oh just checked it out & it is actually only £40, down from £100!

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 21:58:27

Thanks blueteddy and mnosam...

Would you guys be tempted to get one? I can't decide....

I'm going to keep bumping this periodically. There must be some mumsnetter who actually has this in her back garden and can rate it from first hand experience.....

irishbird Thu 24-Mar-05 22:25:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

handlemecarefully Thu 24-Mar-05 22:28:23

Ah - that wouldn't put me off too much Irishbird. I'm not a lawn person

irishbird Thu 24-Mar-05 22:33:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

handlemecarefully Fri 25-Mar-05 09:00:28

lol irishbird....

anyone else any experience of these ?

blueteddy Fri 25-Mar-05 09:22:29

Have you had a look at the one on the D&A website?
It is a 10ft one, where as the GLT one is 16ft, but is pictured with the whole family in it.
For £40 (under half it's original price) it does seem a very good buy!

handlemecarefully Fri 25-Mar-05 09:27:01

You're right - it does seem a very good buy

BubblesDeVere Fri 25-Mar-05 09:30:54

Have a look on ebay, there are some bargains to be had on there with pools etc, i have been comtemplating getting one for the summer too, you can even get solar sheeting to put over the top for the days you aren't using it and it heats the water.

blueteddy Fri 25-Mar-05 09:37:53

The web address for D&A is www.datoys.co.uk
if you want to check it out.

BubblesDeVere Fri 25-Mar-05 09:40:29

Here is one, its only £148 inc postage.

Paddling Pool

handlemecarefully Fri 25-Mar-05 16:50:13

Thanks for the D&A web address.

Also, I didn't know about the solar panels. Sound like an excellent idea.

Right, going to flex the credit card now.

BubblesDeVere Sat 26-Mar-05 12:08:35

I've bought one of the d & a site, can't wait for thehot weather now

blueteddy Sat 26-Mar-05 19:24:03

Have you bought one yet hmc?

morningpaper Sat 26-Mar-05 19:47:09

I'm very tempted by these too, but worried that it might be a bit CHILLY?

Not heard of the solar panels idea - any links?

vkr Sat 26-Mar-05 20:05:14

we have one with the rigid frame - like a gazebo/tent poles. bought off ebay last year. great fun BUT the solar cover was just a huge circle of bubble wrap - still effective but a bit of a disappointment on unwrapping. Also we bought an electric heater - expensive but worth it - don't forget you have to buy the chemicals to stop it going green and yucky

vkr Sat 26-Mar-05 20:05:38

what are the solar panels ?

morningpaper Sat 26-Mar-05 20:14:41

Do you need chemicals? I thought they came with some sort of filter that meant you didn't need chemicals?

handlemecarefully Sun 27-Mar-05 10:06:20

Blueteddy - not yet, I'm not very organised but I will definitely be placing an order within the next couple of days.

Vkr where do you get the chemicals and the electric heater?

TracyK Tue 29-Mar-05 10:04:14

I've been thinking bout this too. Really wanted a proper pool - but was going to cost £40k! have a google for above ground pools, then you can see the range of chemicals, covers and heaters.
I think you can get small heaters that you can just plug in and more powerful ones that require an electrician.

TracyK Tue 29-Mar-05 10:04:44

ps - anyone know the electrical running costs and how much the water would cost (we are on a water meter)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now