Talk

Advanced search

What trike?

(16 Posts)
Payney Mon 21-Mar-05 13:14:37

I am hoping to get a trike for my ds' bday (he'll be 2). I've seen the Radio Flyer one that got the best review on Mumsnet (although I can't find it for anything near the price mentioned - have started another thread on that one but no-one wants to reply . Anyway, do you know if the parent handle can be removed completely?
Thanks

shrub Mon 21-Mar-05 13:22:58

hi payney - i'm another one who was interested in the radio flyer trike - i looked everywhere for it and contacted radioflyer.co.uk and another website who said they have been discontinued because the parent steering mechanism kept braking and they were being sent back. however they are bringing a new stronger version out in the autumn (?just when the weather turns colder!!) but was told to phone back then. radio flyer tel. no is 0870 757 6690. they may have more info as it was a while ago when i phoned. if you are looking for something similar ie. old fashioned metal trike, rubber wheels i have found one on the communityplaythings website though this was about £100 and another on tridias website, again in the same price range. i'm looking for ds2's birthday which isn' t until end of may so i'm still browsing! i think most parent handles are removable when the child becomes more confident.

Cod Mon 21-Mar-05 13:23:52

Message withdrawn

iota Mon 21-Mar-05 13:24:03

Hi we spent a lot less on a Triang trike, which has been through my 2 boys and is still going strong. It came with a fully detachable parent handle. Why don't you hav a look at a few in the shops before you decide on the most expensive? £90 seems a lot for a trike to me

Payney Mon 21-Mar-05 13:26:41

Thanks Shrub - I also have time to browse as ds' bday isn't until end of May as well. Typical that it's not going to come out until Autumn! I got all excited at the prospect of getting it early so we could go out on it during the upcoming hols! Oh well!

nailpolish Mon 21-Mar-05 13:26:47

one with a seatbelt is handy too

iota Mon 21-Mar-05 13:29:56

this is ours here

looks like it might be discontinued

LIZS Mon 21-Mar-05 13:40:53

We have the same one Baby Driver Two, iota, but I think another brand , Berchet,took it over and it was a similar to the one in ELC (for whom Berchet make toys) and Mothercare a few years back.

jabberwocky Mon 21-Mar-05 13:43:31

We have the Berchet Baby Driver two (or maybe it's the three?). Anyway, it's just great! Occasionally the steering lock will come down and I will realize that ds is now in control but it's easy to fix again. I researched different ones and the radio flyer did have terrible reviews. I would also be tempted to wait for them to work out the bugs on a new model.

LIZS Thu 24-Mar-05 12:58:59

John Lewis have the latest version of the Baby Driver in their catalogue - handle has changed since ours. here

Hulababy Thu 24-Mar-05 13:04:03

The mumsnet home page has a link to the review section, which is currently being updated. I am pretty sure the trikes section has only recently been done. Might be worth a look.

tassis Thu 24-Mar-05 13:13:48

Cod, can I be really ignorant and ask you to explain what you mean by "one that locks the wheels" please? We're getting ds a trike for his 2nd b'day too and I'm really dithering about which to buy. Nice little tikes one in JL (quite like the triang one) that I wondered about.

LIZS Thu 24-Mar-05 13:37:14

The Baby Driver has a yellow plastic part under the handlebars with a bit that can slide down and means the turn on the front wheel is restricted so they can't wiggle the steering all over the place, making it harder for parent to push straight! You can also lock the pedals into a freewheel position so they don't have to pedal their feet at the same rate as the wheel is turning.

hoxtonchick Thu 24-Mar-05 13:39:10

we've got the little tikes one which ds loves. quite heavy for me to carry when he gets bored though....

jojo28 Thu 24-Mar-05 18:40:45

I am amazed the Radio Flyer got such a great review on this sight i think for the price they are useless. We had a ruined Christmas because the trike's handle literally snapped off. For a metal bike it was very flimsy. We got a Puky tike they come in various styles and most have the option of freezing the steering... check them out here . Our's has been great.

jojo28 Thu 24-Mar-05 18:55:49

Sorry just wanted to add that we got ours at Brixton Cycles . I cannot recommend them enough, so helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now