Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Highback boosters - is isofix worth the extra money?

(25 Posts)
TheBlonde Thu 04-Dec-08 12:27:42

DS is finally too heavy for his Stage 2 seat so I want a highback booster

The isofix ones are twice the price - is isofix really worth it?

RubyRioja Thu 04-Dec-08 12:31:24

I was told in John Lewis that it did not make a significant difference, but the isofix is shown in video on ROspa website.

In the end I went for Britax Evolva without isofit as it had 5 point belt ( isofix relied on seatbelt iirc) and my 3yo is v wiggly.

I spent a long time checking the fit and it actually is marvellous in my zafira. There is not a bit of movement when installed correctly. £140 though

TheBlonde Thu 04-Dec-08 12:34:20

Thanks DS is too heavy now for those with a 5 point harness so he'll be held in by the seatbelt

RubyRioja Thu 04-Dec-08 13:33:53

Ah - my dd is skinny minny who was too tall for hers.

TheBlonde Thu 04-Dec-08 16:58:30

thanks

TheBlonde Fri 05-Dec-08 11:15:45

bump

SuperSillyus Fri 05-Dec-08 13:51:59

My four year old is still in his stage 2 seat but when my dd was 4 I had her in a princess booster seat from mothercare which wasn't too expensive and uses the main seat belt. It has head support for long journeys when she falls asleep.
Ds2 will need the next seat too soon so watching this thread with interest for ideas.....

TheBlonde Sat 06-Dec-08 21:13:03

thanks
anyone else?

TheBlonde Sun 07-Dec-08 10:45:49

futile bump

TheBlonde Mon 15-Dec-08 19:16:38

last ditch bump

ten10 Mon 15-Dec-08 19:23:18

I haven't got to a booster yet, but
the other car seats we have bought have been isofix,
and I wouldn't buy anything else,

they are so solid i.e. just don't move,
whereas other a non-isofix seat i have come across seems to wriggle around far too much for my liking.
and you always know that it is fitted correctly, as they are so easy to fit.

LIZS Mon 15-Dec-08 19:24:52

afaik it has yet to be proven that isofix ones are any safer at the highback stage

TheBlonde Mon 15-Dec-08 19:31:13

Thanks both
I just can't see how they can justify the huge premium for the isofix

forevared Tue 16-Dec-08 11:47:16

I've just bought a Britax Evolva Isofit for £95 from babyworld's website. I've just checked and bambinodirect are also selling it for £90
Having always used Isofix I'd personally never buy anything else and this came top in Which tests.

Fizzylemonade Wed 17-Dec-08 20:45:04

Personal opinion but I have 2 children, ds2 is 2 and in britax evolva 123 (not isofix) and my husband is the only one who can get that seat to anchor well. Ds2 is still using the 5 point harness.

Ds1 is 5 and is in a maxi cosi rodi highback booster with side impact wing things which according to Which magazine was one of the safest at the time we bought it and they rated isofix as the best.

BUT on the maxi cosi the seatbelt is difficult to pull through the guide, we knew this when we bought it but didn't think of the implications. When ds1 leans forward the belt loosens but when he sits back it doesn't automatically re-tighten, he has to pull it back tight.

He is almost 6 so this isn't a problem but we have said that the next car seats we buy will be isofix because our car has the isofix fittings (we bought the car after we had bought the car seats)

Isofix is probably more suited to the younger children's child seats as it guarantees the fitting. However, in the event of a crash I would rather my child is bolted to the car with the seat rather than just the seat belt. It is partly irrational as I am only held in with a seatbelt hmm

I would rather pay a bit more money to know that I have done everything to make my children as safe as possible.

TheBlonde Mon 22-Dec-08 12:53:31

Thanks

TheBlonde Thu 01-Jan-09 11:12:52

new year bump

MatNanPlusAbroad Thu 01-Jan-09 11:17:01

The biggest difference is that with a high back booster the child and the seat are held with the seatbelt but with Isofix the belt is only holding the child which IMHO is much better.

Hulababy Thu 01-Jan-09 11:35:39

The Which reports didn't find Isofix on high back boosters any safer in their more recent tests.

However in the first stage and second stage seats isofix does appear to come out as a fair bit safer. I would pay more for isofix for those seats.

I have 3 high back boosers here. One is Isofix, the other two not. I am not convinced at all that the isofix was worth the extra money - was double the cost.

TheBlonde Thu 01-Jan-09 14:46:28

Thanks

ManNanPlusAbroad - do the seats weigh much?

Hulababy Thu 01-Jan-09 22:16:27

Isofix seats are generally heavy because of the metal fixings attached to them.

TheBlonde Fri 02-Jan-09 11:46:00

Thanks Hula

MatNanPlusAbroad Fri 02-Jan-09 22:18:50

Yes, the are heavier.

TheBlonde Sat 03-Jan-09 14:41:30

Do you think that means the isofix ones are less safe if you happen to use them with a seatbelt instead?

MatNanPlusAbroad Mon 05-Jan-09 12:24:33

It is personal choice.

I would only use rear facing seats for my children (if they ever happen - TTC) but that is because even tho i am skilled at seat fitting - well i should be after 20years caring for babies and toddlers - some just work slack, some wobble no matter what and i do feel happier in the event of an accident with the seat taking the major initial force rather than their body.

The drawback in my veiw of using an ISOFIX seat with just a belt is the addition weight that the belt and so the child will bear in a sudden deceleration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now