Talk

Advanced search

how do you "hide" a dishwasher?

(31 Posts)
jasper Sun 20-Mar-05 22:08:39

I am thinking about getting a new kitchen and am swithering about whether to get rid of my dishwasher as i don't use it that often.

If I keep it I want it to be hidden so as not to spoil the look of the kitchen.
Hw do you do this? The kitchen will be made by a local carpenter. He did me some drawings with the idea of NOT having one and it looks lovely.

Are there only certain models of dishwasher that are suitable for being hidden by a wooden panel or whatever?

CountessDracula Sun 20-Mar-05 22:10:13

yes you just buy a built in one and put a front on it I believe

Hulababy Sun 20-Mar-05 22:10:50

I think even a stanard stand alone dishwasher can be hidden - so long as the cupboard it is behind is well vented, etc. The carpenter may well know more.

misdee Sun 20-Mar-05 22:11:09

i put him in a cupboard

JanH Sun 20-Mar-05 22:16:19

LOL misdee!

jasper, you probably could hide a non-built-in d/w but would need to have an extra-deep space for it and extra-deep counter to go with; mine is flush with the cupboard fronts and won't go back any further. A friend of mine has a custom-built kitchen and her worktop is very deep. Ask your man.

soapbox Sun 20-Mar-05 22:19:29

Jasper - there are special models for building in. The are described as 'fully integrated' and come with a fixing set which allows your carpenter to fit a unit front onto the front of the dishwasher!

I'm most interested to find out why you don't use you current one very much

Mine seems to be never off!!

jasper Sun 20-Mar-05 22:36:03

you girls are fab.
Soapbox I looked up fully intgrated dishwashers and all is now clear! What a great idea. They look to be a bit more expensive then normal ones.

The reason I don't use it much is that the one I have is not that good (despite being newish ). I have just got into the habit of doing the dishes by hand. However I do seem to spend half the day at the sink!

Because of getting a new kitchen I am having to think seriously about what I really want and I could use the extra cupboard space if I did not bother with a dishwasher. Anyone I have said this to thinks I am off my head!

hub2dee Sun 20-Mar-05 23:11:44

Just to mention you can also buy integrated fridges, freezers and fridge-freezers for the kitchen if that helps tweak your design.

You can also buy integated washing machines and tumble dryers (same dimensions IIRC).

Your chippy will need to cut vents into the kickboard area at the bottom to let these appliances breathe. You can hide the sockets / fused connection units (FCUs) under the worktop so it all looks slick. Dish washer is easiest to plumb in when next to sink.

Finally, you can integrate all sorts of gadgets till you run out of cash: microwaves, coffee machines etc. - these in the upper cupboard rather than below worktop space.

If you have oodles of cash to burn you can buy an integrated dishwasher in the form of one (or several) drawers.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Mar-05 08:26:11

Our dishwasher is an intergrated one. The pull down door has a fascia on it that matches the rest of the kitchen. The front looks like it's a drawer and a cupboard door so it matches the sink unit next to it.

TracyK Mon 21-Mar-05 08:49:22

If you want to keep your exisitng one - I think you can get stick on wood effect stuff that they use to laminate the worksurfaces - maybe disguise it a bit. you'd only see the dials then

Hulababy Mon 21-Mar-05 09:27:55

Our integrated dishwasher (both here and in the new kitchen we have just ordered) is the same style as Soupdragon has decribed.

jasper Mon 21-Mar-05 21:14:26

Do fully integrated ones really blend in so you would not know?

Hulababy Mon 21-Mar-05 21:19:31

Yes. Whilst the door is shut you wouldn't know that it is a dishwasher behind the fashia. Only difference is when opening it. The hande (looks like a drawer handle) pulls the dishwasher front down, inside to the side.

SofiaAmes Mon 21-Mar-05 21:40:22

Fully integrated dishwashers are awesome. Not only are they hidden, but they are quieter (extra layer of cabinet front helps insulate noise). AND the best part is the buttons are hidden on the inside so little fingers aren't tempted to push them. (in our old house, the kids turned on the dishwasher at least once or twice a day...in the new house with fully integrated dishwasher, they have yet to turn it on once).

jasper Mon 21-Mar-05 22:05:20

sofia and hulababy what happens when the dishwasher packs in? Can you easily remove the fascia and put it onto a new dishwasher?

Also what model do you recommend?

Hulababy Mon 21-Mar-05 22:10:28

No idea, as not got that far yet!

We have a Beaumatic here int he aprtment which has been really good. We have MFI's own make when we move.

My PILs had a very expensive dishwasher - twice now actually, and both broke down within 5 years. Infact the last ine they only had about 2 years or so. They now recommend getting a very simple (not many finctions) and not expensive dishwasher - which I have never known them to do before.

jasper Mon 21-Mar-05 22:13:35

Hula on another site the most basic Bosch was recommended - about £345 for a fully integrated basic model.

Hulababy Mon 21-Mar-05 22:15:04

The current owners of our new place are actually leaving a perfectly good non-integrated Bosch dishwasher. We dont need it, as getting a new integrated one with our new kitchen. Bosch are generally good quaility stuff though.

hub2dee Mon 21-Mar-05 22:31:08

jasper, I've made two photos for you showing our integrated units (doors closed and a second, doors open) and put them in the For Sale area - see 'Please ignore (photo for jasper).'

I'd second Bosch. We've been running all three 24 / 7 (just us two at the mo for 4+ years no prob so far.

jasper Mon 21-Mar-05 23:29:44

hub2dee you are a darlin' !

And a technical wizz.
Fab kitchen. Do you ever lose your appliances?!

hub2dee Mon 21-Mar-05 23:42:51

No probs, jasper.

Lose them ? You mean because they're hidden ? Or because you've come and 'acquired' them ?

Erm.... no. I usually keep them safely under my kitchen worktop.

gingerbear Mon 21-Mar-05 23:59:35

We have a built in dishwasher and fridge.

1st time mum came after new kitchen had been fitted she went to make a cuppa, and came back in the sitting room flustered - Where on earth is your fridge???

jasper Tue 22-Mar-05 00:03:34

cause they are hidden !

jasper Tue 22-Mar-05 00:12:40

hub2dee your caption "innocent kitchen cupboards harbour a secret " had me hooting with laughter.

hub2dee Tue 22-Mar-05 06:26:54

Hidden ? I only realised they were there last night when I read this thread. I'd been putting my food outside the back door all winter and washing the dishes in the sink.

Silly me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now