Talk

Advanced search

Do leather sofas and children mix?

(16 Posts)
pootlepod Sun 20-Mar-05 16:27:21

Thinking of updating but not sure...

gingerbear Sun 20-Mar-05 16:30:17

Yes times one million.
I would never have any other type with kids or Pets.
Just make sure you buy decent leather and not ultra soft namby pamby calves leather - looks lovely, is butter soft, but stains and scratches.

mrsflowerpot Sun 20-Mar-05 16:31:37

depends what sort you get I think. We have some that actually are looking better as they age a bit, and yes they are fab with kids, for a start they wipe clean (nothing on earth that baby wipes can't remove off them). They do scratch though, so if that is going to worry you then you will have to be careful. Very soft leather or pale colours might be a different story.

katzguk Sun 20-Mar-05 16:33:44

agree, we have chocolate brown leather and they look good one year one. Like mrsflowerpot says baby wipes are great for cleaning them!

nutcracker Sun 20-Mar-05 16:37:02

We have 2 chocolate leather sofas and not very expensive ones either. We had the 2 for £600 from Argos last year and they are great.

If the kids spill anything, it can just get mopped up no problem. Ours hasn't scratched so far and nothing has stained it so far either.

I too would say to go for a dark colour though. A friend of mine spent nearly 3 times the price of mine on a cream leather suite and it is now looking really dirty.

SoupDragon Sun 20-Mar-05 16:59:54

Only if your children aren't likely to stick holes in them with (say) biros or pencils.

Whizzz Sun 20-Mar-05 18:17:53

We have black leather & its been fine. Just have to watch sharp things (inc buckles on shoes). Ditto baby wipes for cleaning - works a treat !

Fran1 Sun 20-Mar-05 18:19:42

We have pale green leather sofa and two armchairs, they are about 6 years old, and i agree with the others, they still look great after wear and tear. When our cat was a kitten she managed to put some scrathes on them (doesn't anymore) and even they sort of add to the character!
My dd has spilt everything you can on them, and drawn with felt tip etc and it all comes off. I really don't know how you cope without leather seats when potty training! There have been a zillion times when dd has fallen asleep on the sofa, then wet herself, and i just mop it up when she wakes!! it'd be gross with material cushions as it'd all just seep in.

Hulababy Sun 20-Mar-05 18:24:32

Agree with others - they do mix well. We have the old/scratched type effect brown leather on our sofa, so extra scratches and marks are not noticeable anyway. We've had it about 2 years now I think and it still looks great.

Hulababy Sun 20-Mar-05 18:25:10

Oh, and definitely agree with the baby wipes for cleaning it

jangly Sun 20-Mar-05 18:25:20

Our leather chair has been tiddled in several times and so long as you mop it up quickly its ok!

misdee Sun 20-Mar-05 18:27:21

dh cant stand leather (his meds means he sweats loads, and says he wont be able to sit comfortably on leather sofas), but want new sofa latert this year. i like the idea of leather for reasons below, so what can we get thats a good compromise? ia there anything as easy to clean but ot sweaty?

pootlepod Sun 20-Mar-05 19:37:06

Thanks for those thoughts, I was pretty much decided but huge wear and tear would have put me off- I quite fancy the brown distressed look anyway so it would make sense to get those! Where abouts would be a good place to buy (the deal at argos sounds good?)

Ameriscot2005 Sun 20-Mar-05 19:38:09

Yes, leather is the only way to go.

psychomum5 Sun 20-Mar-05 19:53:55

We also got our leather sofas from Argos,on the buy one get one free deal. Chocolate brown aswell, and I so wish we had got them earlier. If the kiddies are sick, or wet themselves, or even forget themselves and doodle in felt tip, it all cleans right off. Our old sofas got so filthy so quickly we had to get them cleaned at least once a year...and that was with food banned from the lounge!!!

munnzieb Sun 20-Mar-05 19:56:28

don't get cream, we have cream, and the only way to bring it up like new is to get a toothbrush on it. (which happens like never! a damp cloth unfortunatly doesn't get right into the grain but will clean up and spills) cream looks constantly minging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now