Talk

Advanced search

baby gate

(19 Posts)
babyburps Thu 17-Mar-05 22:35:09

right, who can reccommend a good baby safety gate for me to buy? why r they all made of metal? surely wood is better for my little chipmunk to knaw on, headbutt?!

WigWamBam Thu 17-Mar-05 22:45:28

This one from Ikea is excellent, no bar at the bottom to trip over, either. Mamas and Papas do a similar one, but iirc it's more expensive.

babyburps Thu 17-Mar-05 22:50:35

thankyou! ...unfortunately forgot to mention renting flat, ds is doing enough damage! need a gate with suction fitting

babyburps Thu 17-Mar-05 22:50:57

whats your take on the wood/metal issue anyway?

WigWamBam Fri 18-Mar-05 08:08:17

We used a metal one at the top of the stairs with wooden ones at the bottom of the stairs, across the kitchen where we have no door, and in the French window, and I have to say that I prefer the wooden ones, purely because they look better. Perhaps I was just lucky in that dd didn't chew them or headbutt them so that was never an issue! We also had to cut a cat-flap sized hole in one of them, so that one had to be wood, but that's probably not going to be a concern of yours!

I don't really know much about suction fitting stairgates, but perhaps someone else will be along later who can help.

Blackduck Fri 18-Mar-05 08:35:34

Why not go for the baby dan travel one? It suction fits and is great - we use it on the bedroom door.....here

babyburps Fri 18-Mar-05 10:32:23

considered one of those fabric travel ones like the DAN but don't you have to completely open it to pass through...or learn to jump it...good exersize i suppose!

Blackduck Fri 18-Mar-05 10:54:36

BB, yes you do have to step over the top - I manage it and I'm only 5' 2''!!

SoupDragon Fri 18-Mar-05 10:58:30

The problem I had with my suction fit one is that it pushed the bannister post out with the pressure. We replaced it with the Ikea one which OK, you needed to screw to the wall/bannister but the small holes were easily filled. Not so the wonky bannister post!

SoupDragon Fri 18-Mar-05 10:59:52

Now, when I have small guests visiting, I put 3 sections of my Baby Dan play pen up and fix to the radiator/bannisters with toy ties Works a treat. In fact, this is what I used when we moved here when DS2 was 1 - couldn't be ar$ed to put the stairgate up at the foot of the stairs.

babyburps Fri 18-Mar-05 11:05:45

thats a point! i have a headbanging, rough 11kg 10mth old, he really is very strong, wonder if he'd be able to push down a pressure gate? or if not now in a few months time. r they comparably sturdy to a screw fix?

SoupDragon Fri 18-Mar-05 11:08:32

I found the pressure fit one fine when shut. When open, it tended to fall off the wall IYSWIM. Not a big problem but tedious!

Blackduck Fri 18-Mar-05 11:08:44

Where is it actually going? I have two baby gates (both pressure fixed) One metal, one baby dan. I find the baby dan one is more secure than the other (it doesn't budge...) Additional if it's in a doorway you usually can have it up against the doorframe IYSWIM that way it can't go anywhere...

SoupDragon Fri 18-Mar-05 11:09:12

(wouldn't recommend the Baby Dan/Toy Tie approach for a tough headbanger though!)

babyburps Fri 18-Mar-05 11:15:40

live in flat so no stairs,thank goodness. going in kitchen doorway. . don't think i can be doing with something that keeps falling off, the flat becomes a whirlwind of mess as it is!...been thinking about the stepping over, knowing me may trip somehow and go flying into the kitchen table...hmmm

Blackduck Fri 18-Mar-05 11:18:45

Do you know anyone who has one you could 'borrow' to do a trial run on? I agree with Soupy about the other ones falling off the wall (mine does frequently and it winds me up, also people kick the bottom bar out all the time...) With the baby dan you have to take the whole thing out of the gap anyway so it doesn't seem so annoying IYKWIM....

babyburps Fri 18-Mar-05 11:23:02

don't know any mums shame! ...keep thinking there should be a website for renting all baby stuff so you can try before you buy!

Blackduck Fri 18-Mar-05 11:24:52

Thats a good idea actually!

Evesmama Fri 18-Mar-05 11:28:11

weve got a lovely wooden mamas n papas one, cost about £40 i think

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: