Talk

Advanced search

Can you get broadband down an phone extension?

(8 Posts)
Katherine Thu 17-Mar-05 10:28:58

Sorry probably totally dim question but we have a long entension lead from where the line comes in down to where my PC is? Can't think of any other reason why its not working yet (unless they didn't manage to activate it). Just wondered if I need a special sort of lead or something.

Tissy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:33:12

no, you don't need a special lead, but you do need a filter on the socket that the computer plugs into. Did your broadband company supply one?

RTKangaMummy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:35:14

IIRC the extension lead will make signal weaker

There is a type of wire can't remember name

RJ 11

I think

jangly Thu 17-Mar-05 10:41:27

It usually takes a few days for them to connect it. With ours we noticed the phone went off for a while and then - bingo!

Tissy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:44:46

my computer is on an extension and there is no problem with it. Our phone line "disappeared" at the same time as broadband was installed, but BT denied it was anything to do with the broadband. I thought it was sabotage by BT, as I got my broadband from another provider- may have been over-reacting a bit!

Katherine Thu 17-Mar-05 10:57:44

Thanks. Got the filter. Everything looks like its set up OK. Looks pretty foolproof. Phone still works but whenever I try to connect it says no dial tone. Grrrrr. so frustrating. So close......

Katherine Thu 17-Mar-05 11:55:07

just phoned virign and they confirmed that the extension is probably the problem and that I need a RJ11.

So thank-you RTKangaMummy - spot on!

RTKangaMummy Thu 17-Mar-05 12:15:43

you are welcome

You can buy long ones by the metre from company will try to remember

something like cables.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now