Talk

Advanced search

Re-proofing a waterproof coat HELP

(12 Posts)
toomanypushchairs Tue 15-Mar-05 22:32:56

Have just machine washed my ds's Peter Storm waterproof coat. It says you have to re-proof it afterwards. Any ideas of how to do this, or where to find this information? any advice welcome, thanks (it does say you can machine wash it)

kimosaby Tue 15-Mar-05 22:38:53

you can buy re-proofing from army surplus stores like yoemans or millites or any camping/outdoor wear clothing stores.Just ask them and they will tell you whats best.

Snugs Tue 15-Mar-05 22:40:23

Nikwax is brilliant stuff. The site is really helpful and explains exactly which product you need.

80sMum Tue 15-Mar-05 22:51:46

I think you can buy cans of re-proofing spry from outdoor clothing shops, such as Field & Trek or Milletts. Like this sort of thing Probably best to ask in store - and take the coat with you.

Snugs Tue 15-Mar-05 22:55:32

Just realised I still have a small bottle of TX-Direct (a freebie from the website). It's a 150ml unopened bottle, says it's sufficient for one garment.

You can have it for P & P if you want it.

antlxstew @ yahoo.co.uk

bensmum3 Tue 15-Mar-05 23:41:56

Did you use a washing detergent? if so it might be an idea to give it an extra rinse before re-proofing as most waterproof garments don't like detergent.

toomanypushchairs Wed 16-Mar-05 14:19:36

thanks everyone, didn't imagine that was what they meant. Snugs have emailed you, brilliant offer thanks

iota Wed 16-Mar-05 14:41:16

you can buy Scotchguard in John Lewis, which would also do the trick

NomDePlume Wed 16-Mar-05 14:45:08

I bought some of the TX-Direct stuff from my local 'outdoors' type shop. There are 2 types, you can buy the reproofing stuff or you can buy the TX stuff which you use instead of a detergent which washes the coat but helps keep it's water resistance.

Snugs Wed 16-Mar-05 14:45:47

Not got email yet - usually have them quicker than this. Do you want to check it hasn't been bounced back for some reason?

alison222 Wed 16-Mar-05 15:00:00

There are several types of proofing stuff depending on the material they are made of as I found out when I nearly bought the wrong one. The shop assistant in Millets checked the label for me and sold me the correct one. Worth a look see just to make sure

Snugs Wed 16-Mar-05 15:07:15

TMP - Have replied to your mail, need your address!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now