Talk

Advanced search

Trousers for very skinny boys

(46 Posts)
roisin Tue 15-Mar-05 19:54:40

Yes, I know we've been here before!

DS2 is very skinny. He's about 116 cm high, which is about average for a 6 yr old (which he almost is). But he has been wearing 4-5 yr old trousers, which are too short if they are round his waist, but OK when they are hanging off his hips (as they always are).

He's worn out all his trousers. I seems silly to buy trousers which are technically too short, but the age 5-6 or 6 ones just fall down, they don't even hang off his hips! If I add a belt they will hang off his hips, but then they are too long.

Do you think I should buy the 'too small' trousers? Or does anyone know a good store to try? We don't have a lot of choice here.

IME M&S, Tescos and Adams have HUGE waist sizes for boys.

Asda, Next and Woolworths are a bit better, but still too big for ds2.

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 20:04:51

Pumpkin Patch have button elastic in the waist. Some Gap trousers do too.

wordgirl Tue 15-Mar-05 20:08:13

Hi roisin, I have this problem too. My DS1 is 11 now and if anything it's got worse as he has got taller but his waist hasn't got any bigger!
Gap do slim fit jeans and also have those adjustable pieces of elastic in the waistband so they were always guaranteed to fit although they are a bit on the expensive side.
I think M & S now do some trousers (mainly jeans) with the adjustable waist too.
That's all I can suggest really so I hope someone else has more ideas - with two more skinny DSs I am on a permanent quest for elasticated waists!

Furball Tue 15-Mar-05 20:17:30

Primark do trousers with adjustable waists

roisin Tue 15-Mar-05 20:32:40

Thanks all! Hmm... Looks like I'm going to have to travel to find some shops! We don't have any of those here.

Cod Tue 15-Mar-05 20:35:21

Message withdrawn

Cod Tue 15-Mar-05 20:36:43

Message withdrawn

Cod Tue 15-Mar-05 20:38:04

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Tue 15-Mar-05 20:40:11

Vertbaudet are very good for tall skinny boys as a lot of their trousers have adjustable inner buttoning elastic. You can order a catalogue online link to catalogue request in tiny print at bottom of screen

They have also just started doing some of their trousers in 5cm+ lengths - for really tall kids!

roisin Tue 15-Mar-05 20:54:05

Oh I like these mailorder suggestions

tigi Tue 15-Mar-05 20:54:31

I found my ds age 5 fitted BHS school trousers this year, he is tall and slimish. ds age10 very tall and slim always lived in tracksuit bottoms beacause jeans hung on him and looked ridiculous, but I have now found GAP jeans brill! The elastic pull-in waist thingy means they always fit, and he looks lovely. They are pricey, but I've always got mine in the sale £12 ish rather than £25 (I think)

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 21:02:36

DS2 is not as skinny as he used to be but is still relatively narrow - I recently got him some jeans that he loves from Ethel Austin for £5 a pair! (I bet there is an Ethel where you live, roisin?)

Cod Tue 15-Mar-05 21:03:09

Message withdrawn

granarybeck Tue 15-Mar-05 21:04:56

my ds is very skinny and have same prob, especially as he likes jeans long and baggy, they just fall down. h&m do som egood elasticate dones, but check as not all are, vertbaudet aren't too bad either.

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 21:06:50

Do you have a Matalan? Their sizes are inconsistent so some are narrow and some aren't. (They don't do 5-6 though, just 4-5 and 6-7 which may be no good for you.)

TwoIfBySea Tue 15-Mar-05 21:11:35

I get my mum to buy dst trousers from her Laredoute catalogue as I have a similar problem with both dst. Well, not a problem as such but most shops seem to cater for children with larger tummies than my two!

Cod Tue 15-Mar-05 21:11:50

Message withdrawn

Katemum Tue 15-Mar-05 21:24:51

I have the same problem with my 4 yo but have just bought some trousers from Adams and Next with the adjustable elastic and buttons inside the waist band.

roisin Tue 15-Mar-05 22:14:13

Hmm... Yes, we do have all these lovely shops here: Matalan, Ethel Austin, Peacocks, and loads more ... Since we've been here I've only been in each of them once, and that was enough! The thing is I loathe shopping at the best of times, and 'these sort of shops' are the worst.

Actually ds2 loves shopping, so maybe I could send him down on the train to one of you lovely ladies who enjoys it and you could happily trawl round the shops together and get him kitted out?!

roisin Tue 15-Mar-05 22:14:52

Sorry, that post makes me sound like a complete snob. But the shops here do make me feel like a snob, and I'm not honest

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Mar-05 22:24:34

DS1 is narrow, too, I generally just put a belt on him, and often his trousers are too short. I find Benetton are good, as are Du Pareil au Meme (French, dead cheap, v lovely).

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 22:42:21

When DS2 was a baby I got the loveliest navy and white striped baggy cotton romper thing for him in Ethel's for about £1.50. Subsequently saw the same one in local second-hand-designer-clothes-shop (there is a word for those, isn't there?) for £4!!!

I know the shops are tacky, roisin, but worth braving! Accrington is just the same - full of bargains - gird your lions (sic) and wade in

meysey Tue 15-Mar-05 23:03:59

H&M may not be near you but they often have adjustable trousers or drawstring

at least in summer you can have trendy 3/4 length trousers!

also I find second hand trousers often better (maybe kids weren't so fat then!)so maybe try nearly new shops or the odd jumble sale

ladybird stuff is often slimmer-fitting but not sure if the brand is still going (is it Woollies?)

roisin Fri 18-Mar-05 14:22:22

I couldn't find anything suitable today; nothing adjustable anywhere. M&S have 21.5" waist for his height (117 cm, age 5-6), and he's more like 20"!

BUT I did get almost half price coats for next winter from M&S

iota Fri 18-Mar-05 14:25:17

I just take them in at the waist for my skinny ds1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now