Talk

Advanced search

potato peeling machine???

(19 Posts)
fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 14:38:05

i know you can get industrial potato peelers - you chuck the potatoes in the top and i think they roll them around and sort of rub the skins off (not sure though).

does anyone know if you can ge a domestic version? am fed up of peeling potatoes for 6! would be even better if anyone has/has used on, so could actually recommend?

Carmenere Sun 16-Nov-08 14:39:32

I use a child

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 14:41:15

hehe

mine would probably peel their fingers then i'd have to go and sit in a&e for hours before coming back to peel potatoes for 6!

Anifrangapani Sun 16-Nov-08 14:45:52

Mine is 4 years old and called Tom

RiojaLover75 Sun 16-Nov-08 14:58:02

Why don't you eat the potatoes with their skins on. If anyone complains say 'well if you want them done any other way you have to help!'

When my sister and I were kids we used to HAVE to help. We were from a family of six too. Kids these days don't know they're born!

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 14:58:47

really? four? omg i need to train them!!! 8, 9, 10, 11...they should all be able to peel potatoes? blush

Anifrangapani Sun 16-Nov-08 15:01:44

Not really .... 4 at the end of January. He does the dishwasher and vacuuming as well. He will make a great husband one day. His sister is a lazy mare when it comes to helping with anything other than licking the cake bowl clean. Takes after her mother I suspect grin

Dragonbutter Sun 16-Nov-08 15:03:29

my MIL has one of these, it's fab.

DLeeds Sun 16-Nov-08 15:07:45

I have one of these. tis brill

yet another gadget

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 15:28:40

dleeds,

thats exactly what i need (still worried about the trips to casualty - and that's just the accidental injuries - don't even think about the sibling attacks wth a potato peeler!)

i am going to put it on my christmas list

thank you

DLeeds Sun 16-Nov-08 15:42:32

there's a few places that sell them. they work a treat - the other option is if you have a kenwood mixer you there is a bowl attachment which does the same job.

It takes about 4 mins to fully peel the pots - but you don't have to hold it or watch it or anything. Then you rinse the sandpaper base plate out which is full of dirty water and bits of grit!

Fab it you do use potatoes a lot. Have experimented with fruit and veg (very sad I know) and it works with beetroot and small turnips (basically anything around). I looked all over the interweb for such a device (I had a bee in my bonnet about too much faff peeling) - this is the only one I know of.

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 16:09:20

is rinsing it as much boher as peeling would have been?

i used to use a food processor for grating, chopping etc but eventually decided that dismantling and cleaning it made it not worthwhile using

DLeeds Sun 16-Nov-08 18:19:19

it's quite easy to rinse - you add about half of a cup of water to start. then at the end lift the large disk out (the size of the appliance) which is covered in dirty water and grit. Then rinse the bowl out - which comes apart from the motor a bit like a food procesor. And yes if I only had a couple of pots to peel it is a faff and you'd do it by hand. Family of six maybe not.

Maybe a little bit less palaver than the food processor - but not a lot iyswim

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 19:41:47

thank you. it's on the list!

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Sun 16-Nov-08 19:44:48

Why don't you just use smash? Some boiling water and a packet and before you take a swig of wine, there it is. Magic! Better than sex and twice as fast as a bad lover!

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 20:03:54

shock

fourkidsmum Sun 16-Nov-08 20:07:31

when i wa' young...a couple of decades ago smash and baked beans was my favourite meal!

and a decade before that, smash, tinned mince and tinned carrots was my favourite school dinner!

'fraid it no longer tempts me in the same way

although i did try a pot noodle a month or two ago - i remembered them as strangely delicious...sadly it was not as i remembered

the wine sounds good though

razorfish Fri 14-Nov-14 03:06:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SavoyCabbage Fri 14-Nov-14 03:13:55

I would definitely use a child. Mine have been peeling vegetables since they were three or four. I leave skins on for everything except mash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now