Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding tops

(16 Posts)
starlover Tue 15-Mar-05 17:00:19

do any of you know anywhere that sells CHEAP breastfeeding tops?
I haven't yet fed DS while we've been out, but I know the day will come where I am in the shops and he'll be wailing for his dinner....
so I figured if I got some tops I might feel a little less apprehensive about it, and a little less exposed!

BUT... There is no way on earth I am paying £27 for one jumper from blooming marvellous, or jojomamanbebe...

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 17:02:25

I found that an ordinary T shirt type top was fine. Just pulled it up. Even better if you wear something like a cardigan over the top - especially one of those ones which has a zip that undoes up from the bottom (if that makes sense!).

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Mar-05 17:03:42

I've yet to see any good breastfeeding tops in the UK. I have one Blooming Marvellous one, and it's got poppers, which I inevitably fail to do up again afterwards.

The Canadian style of breastfeeding top has a flap and two slits, and nothing to undo or do up. If a BF top isn't in that style, it's not worth bothering with.

You can do almost as well with a loose tshirt and a big pashmina or shawl.

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 17:04:42

I've seen a fab site in the past which had just the sort you describe. I can't for the life of me remember where is was though...

WigWamBam Tue 15-Mar-05 17:27:30

NCT Sales do them, T-shirts and rugby shirts, but I think they're probably the same kind of price as the Blooming Marvellous ones.

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 17:30:59

I BF my 1st for 14 months - and never bothered with breastfeeding tops, or nursing bra's - found both a completel waste of time and money (actulaly never even BOUGHT any tops - but did find some bras').

Complete hassle to do up and undo much easier just to hitch bra and top up and latch baby on IMO

WigWamBam Tue 15-Mar-05 17:38:02

I bfed for 2 years, and never once bfed outside because (a) I have large boobs, which makes it more difficult and (b) I was too self conscious about it. Even now I regret that I couldn't. Even if it's a faff, if I could have got bfeeding tops in my size I would have done so, if only so I would have felt less apprehensive and self-conscious about it.

If you would consider second hand, try The Maternitywear Exchange

starlover Tue 15-Mar-05 18:00:23

thanks WWB...
I b/f at home with an ordinary top hitched up, but you can see my fat tummy and all my stretch marks which I certainly don't want on display in public!

Fran1 Tue 15-Mar-05 18:09:59

I never owned a bf top, and frequently bf in public. I developed a technique so not a bit of me was showing, I kind of got dd in position before lifting my top so she was covering any rolls!

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 18:10:47

Hww about getting a couple of these which you could wear under a shirt/cardigan?

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 18:11:40

I think if I were feeding again I'd be tempted to get a couple. They look ideal.

starlover Tue 15-Mar-05 18:20:55

hmm, i'll have to practice at covering up!

soupdragon, they look quite good,... and quite reasonable price too

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 19:13:32

I think they look quite versatile. Means you don't end up looking like you only ever wear the same 3 tops.

I only had 1 bf top. A shirt from blooming marvellous. The main problem was that it was sized for pregnancy and was absolutely huuuuuuuuuuge!

starlover Tue 15-Mar-05 19:41:15

LOL.. I did think that about having to wear the same few things.

I have actually just posted in wanted to see if anyone has any that they want to sell... don't know why I didn't think of it before DUHHHH

Flossam Tue 15-Mar-05 19:45:04

Seeing as layers are in why not get a couple of strappy tops to wear under your other top. One goes up, one goes down, minimum exposure and you look fashionable!

SoupDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 19:48:23

I sold mine on Ebay. Have you looked there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now