Talk

Advanced search

First Communion dresses - what did/will your dd wear?

(21 Posts)
pabla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:21:17

Any Mums out there who's dd is making her first communion this year or has done in the last few years?

I have got my dd a white dress from Debenhams but I am worried it's not suitable. It's not a traditional style first communion dress, more like a party dress really but it is white, fairly simple and she likes it. Most of the girls in her class seem to be getting the more traditional, mini-bride, full-length styles. Most of the ones like this that I've seen have been fairly hideous (as well as hideously expensive for a dress that will be worn for a few hours only.)

So I am interested to find out what other girls wear/have worn.

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:24:45

pabla, my nephew had his last year and all of the girls were in short dresses. I also hate the thought of 7 year olds looking like merengues. Are there any other mums that you can quiz?

Dd1 will be making hers next year, and we'll definately be going down the route of 'stylish simplicity'!

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:25:49

Ooophs, sorry, you've already said what the others are wearing. Dare to be different!

marialuisa Tue 15-Mar-05 11:31:59

Dbro made his last year and the girls were somewhat full-on (make-up, limos, veils etc.)

Think it's a regional thing though as my goddaughter made hers in a very "Middle england" type parish and they all worse simple dresses, they had to cover the knees and tops of arms though. Goddaughter's was from Monsoon IIRC.

pabla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:33:22

I suppose one of the things bothering me is that I haven't spent much on the dress compared to others (and I could afford to spend more) and I would hate if that was really obvious...not the main thing to be thinking of on the day I know, probably goes back to my childhood when we always had home-made or very cheap clothes and felt like the poor relations always...

Where do you live Carla? I have to say I am a bit surprised that the dresses here in the SE of the UK are the long traditional type (which is what you get in Ireland where I originally come from). I had hoped there would be more stylish, simple dresses around, like you say.

Preggars Tue 15-Mar-05 11:34:03

When I was confirmed I wore a straight black skirt and simple blouse. I was thirteen at the time.

pabla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:35:07

Our local Monsoon only has one white dress at the mo and it's got a huge pink sequinned butterfly on the front...Has anyone been into a bigger branch with bridal wear recently?

Bearess Tue 15-Mar-05 11:38:04

the bridesmaid dresses you can get in BHS?

pabla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:39:45

Bearess, they are nearly all ivory rather than white. One of the girls in her class has got the only white one (which I didn't really like anyway) so don't want to copy.

marialuisa Tue 15-Mar-05 11:40:33

Have you got a John Lewis nearby? They had some nice dresses last year. Quite simple and not silly money. One girl's family had spent over £500 on her dress, shoes etc. They are not a madly rich family so i was somewhat

pabla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:46:43

John Lewis have stopped doing them, even in the largest London branches.

The mother of one of the girls in my dds class has also spent hundreds on her dds dress and accessories. Ok the girl's grandmother paid for the dress, but this is a single mother on benefits and I know money is tight...it's a bit like a wedding really, so much money spent for just one day out...

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:48:49

No? No!!!! No? Make up and limos????

I'm in Oxford but dn's communion was just off Marylebone High St, central London.

It's funny, I can remember quite clearly my mum having exactly the same quandry with me all those years ago - and there's not much that sticks out in my mind. Went to loads of different shops - I didn't like them, then someone offered to lend my mum one - gutsy 7 year old wasn't having any of that - and finally my mum ended up making one.

marieluisa and pabla - where are you?

marialuisa Tue 15-Mar-05 14:21:00

I'm on merseyside (walked past an esp foul dress on my way into town at lunchtime, complete with fake fur cape...)

We were living in South Wales when I made my own first communion and things were a bit more restrained! Have got a few years before DD will be into this and we'll be living elsewhere by then (hopefully it'll be a bit less bling in Nottingham!)

BTW, when my bro was being esp difficult we used to threaten him with a Spanish style Little Admiral outfit for his.

frogs Tue 15-Mar-05 14:34:41

My dd1 had the Francis dress from Children's Salon, about the fourth or fifth dress down, if you scroll down the page. She's definitely not a frilly sort of girl, and refused to have veil, gloves etc. The dress was very simple but she looked beautiful, much nicer than the very over the top satiny shiny beaded numbers, IMO.

pabla Tue 15-Mar-05 16:45:44

Frogs, I had seen that dress and liked it but didn't fancy trecking down to Tunbridge Wells. (I'm in Hertfordshire.) If I'm going to spend that much money on a dress I'd really like dd to try it on first and I thought it would be too much trouble ordering it online and then returning it if it wasn't right. The other thing is it might be a bit plain for dd's liking (though not for mine!)

opt Thu 09-Oct-08 11:46:58

Just joined hello.
I live in Oxfordshire and will be in need of a first communion dress for my daughter later in the year. Does anyone know locally where I can get one.

designerdaisy Wed 25-Jan-12 17:59:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Clareypen Fri 27-Jan-12 18:55:39

Hello, My 8 year old had her holy communion last year, and most of the girls were in full length white dresses- we tried on about 10 dresses, went to Debs, Marks, everywhere then MIL took me to a beautiful shop in Tunbridge Wells where we found a gorgeous white long plain dress with simple beading on the bodice and bottom of the dress- quite reasonably priced it was about £70- came with a laced bolero jacket, but looked a million bucks. MIL paid for it much to my relief! and the veil cost £20 ( which was a rip off- should have gone to a bridal shop for that!) We have 4 girl cousins so the eldest girl in each family will get a new dress then that gets passed to the youngest girl in the other family!
There was one HORRIFYING dress which was so sad for the girl- she was a rather large girl- parents were from a traveller background- my bigfatgypsycommunion springs to mind- she had lace upon lace upon lace and hoops and underskirts her face was permanently red from the heat and sheer weight of it and she really did look miserable which was a shame for her because she is lovely looking girl. The worst part was when she went to do her reading she hooked her dress up and you got an eyeful! and kneeling was very uncomfortable for her. Her dress actually blocked out 3 kids from view!!
just read a post above the childrens salon is the one we went to! Some of the mums went OTT got hairdressers in, kids wore a little makeup- light mascara and lip gloss some arrived in Limo's! Ridiculous!
Our biggest expense was all the Irish rellies for the after party- it was my daughter birthday as well so she was well spoiled!
Check with your school/church sometimes they host a communion dress sale.
I got her shoes from John Lewis- £20, unfortunately my other daughters feet are already enormous and won't fit them when its her turn! LOL
the poor boys though were told to wear their school uniforms and got to purchase a hideous special school tie for £5!!

angelpantser Fri 27-Jan-12 19:15:20

DD1 made hers years ago and I was naive and foolish and bought her dress from a local bridal shop. Quite plain, little cap sleeves and full length with a bit of beading. It still cost more than my wedding dress. shock The thing that really floored me was the cost of the headdress and veil though. One of her classmates made hers in a white satin riding habit and boater style hat. The dress had about 100 buttons down the back and the poor girl looked like she had stepped out of a Victorian melodrama.

DD2 made hers 4 years ago and a dressmaker friend made her simple dress for cost.

My parish prefers simple dresses. The only rule is that shoulders must be covered while in church. Parents try to avoid hooped underskirts as they rise up when the girls are kneeling.

What you have bought sounds lovely. If your daughter is happy with it then trust your judgement. If you want to add a bit of discreet sparkle then something like this on the neckline may work if you are comfortable with sewing them on.

Thank goodness DC3 is a boy and will be in black trousers, white shirt and a red tie. grin

angelpantser Fri 27-Jan-12 19:16:19

Aaarg just seen this is an old thread. That'll teach me to MN while cooking dinner.

colour74 Wed 21-Jan-15 21:46:17

www.5starsweddingsandoccasions.co.uk/category/weddingcommunion_dress

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: