Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone heard of/bought anything from a company called Pride of Place?

(14 Posts)
Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 10:34:17

Ordered this and it's absolute rubbish. The furniture equivalent of something you'd find in a party bag ...

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 10:42:10

Link doesn't seem to work [frown emoticon]

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 10:45:36

Pants! Why do my links never work?

It's on www.pofp.co.uk, bathroom, first thing on page.

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 10:48:17

found it - dare I ask what type of 'high quality' wood finish it is..........??

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 10:50:45

Picture

"Bathroom storage with laundry cabinet

Our new bathroom cabinet looks like a smart storage unit, but cleverly conceals all your laundry waiting to be washed. The cabinet features two shelves, perfect for bits and pieces, and a front that hinges outwards to reveal a generous 51 litre laundry compartment. High quality wood construction with a damp and water-resistant finish. H107cm W45cm D35.5cm."

Is it not high-quality wood construction then Carla? It looks really nice, what a shame - can you send it back?

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 10:53:26

just being having a look for information - it would appear that "pride of place" is actually registered at company house as

"SELECTIVE MARKETPLACE LIMITED"

Retail sale via mail order houses

Can't find much out about either company though

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 10:59:27

It's made of chipboard or MDF or something - when you try and screw the back bit on the 'wood's' so thin that the nails just split it. It's also full of holes that have been filled in. I could live (just) with that, but the bl**dy thing won't even fit together!

It'll have to go back - I just couldn't face looking at it. Trouble is, dds happily spent yesterday afternoon breaking up all the polystyrene that it came packed in. Anyone know how you can arrange for a courier to pick something up from a private address? Bet that costs an arm and a leg too - grrrrrrh!

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 11:00:28

You should be able to send it back at their expense if it's unsuitable, carla - have a look at the invoice/delivery note - it should have information on how to do it.

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:03:20

Thanks for that, Gwenick. Selective Marketplace Limited kind of sums it up really, doesn't it? Bit like Junior Ready, Steady, Cook - names you shouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:06:05

Janh, it just says:

Returns and Exchanges:

blah blah So, to return an item:
1 blah
2 blah
3 blah
4 Finally detach this form and include it in your parcel with the returned item/s to the address at the top of the page. Retain the order summary above for your own records.

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 11:09:01

0870 122 3155

why not give their customer services a ring and tell them you want to send it back because of poor quality and that you DON'T want to have to pay for a courier yourself.

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 11:09:58

You're returning it because it's no good though, not because you didn't like it after all - the onus should be on them to arrange. I once bought a TV/video stand where the drawer wouldn't assemble because it had 2 left sides instead of a left and a right - it was picked up by courier - mind you that was a standard mail order catalogue like GUS.

Anyway I would ring them and tell them it's crap and that if they don't arrange to collect it you'll be on to Trading Standards for misrepresentation.

Janh Tue 15-Mar-05 11:10:19

snap, gwenick

Carla Tue 15-Mar-05 11:19:51

One of the boxes you can tick for returns is 'faulty' - no mention of them paying for it if it is faulty, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now